Thailand reports 6,073 new COVID-19 cases, 32 deaths, 6,538 recoveries

webfact

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Been posting info re current travels. Have only spoken to several farang and of the few that recently arrived in Thailand with TP all returning to see wife etc.

On Samet the few younger farang that I spoke to were working here as teachers.

Tourists are not coming. Why would they. Many more easy options. Even for USA folk.

Mind you USA leading the TP numbers. 

Hua Hin where we are is packed tonight. The 5 star hotel we are in on the beach is fully booked. Most plates are from BKK and are high end cars including a few supercars. At least they are checking vaccine certs and such.

They are being very religious with the screenings here as well, and their is only one way in and out from the main entrance and then from the beach side as well. Both with 2 staff members at the checkpoint.

The restaurants on the property are also screening folks going in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Very true.

This new variant which is now called " Omicron " seems to be a real beast.

It has 30 different mutations on the protein Spikes and over 50 other mutations within its structure.

The WHO and medical Professionals World Wide really need to get to grips with this thing, and quickly, or Delta could possibly look like a Head Cold.

The beast has now surfaced in the UK with two cases confirmed in England. Just when there was a light at the end of the tunnel for so many people worldwide this now makes the one wonder. How long this is going to last.

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not inspiring much confidence when he's not even got the correct number of people infected with the new variant Omicron right, its far more than 22!

Thailand ready to tackle new Covid-19 variant, says deputy PM

Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow said the government was monitoring the situation but is not too worried because so far only 22 people have been found infected by this variant.

However, he said, all public health measures, ranging from vaccination and medicines to medical equipment, are being prepared to deal with new infections.

Supattanapong also said Thailand could ask for the remaining batches of Covid-19 vaccines to be adjusted to fight the new variant.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40009334

I'm sure that you and many others understand that there is no hope of keeping this variant out IF it takes over. The measures that countries are implementing is only to slow the spread.  

The spread is as inevitable as the flu, colds, or anti vax stupidity.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

I'm sure that you and many others understand that there is no hope of keeping this variant out IF it takes over. The measures that countries are implementing is only to slow the spread.  

The spread is as inevitable as the flu, colds, or anti vax stupidity.  

That's absolutely true.

Since there is no world wide coordination to a world wide pandemic, individual country reactions serve only to slow the transmission.  The new variant might not come to Thailand from  countries it prohibits entrance from, but it will come from secondary sources. For instance it might not come to Thailand  from south Africa but it might go to another country first and then come to Thailand. 

Has any other variant be kept out even with the more extreme restrictions? why then would this one be, with this much more relaxed restrictions?  

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

That's absolutely true.

Since there is no world wide coordination to a world wide pandemic, individual country reactions serve only to slow the transmission.  The new variant might not come to Thailand from  countries it prohibits entrance from, but it will come from secondary sources. For instance it might not come to Thailand  from south Africa but it might go to another country first and then come to Thailand. 

Has any other variant be kept out even with the more extreme restrictions? why then would this one be, with this much more relaxed restrictions?  

Well......I believe we have to wait and observe what this latest mutation might be about. 

The experts don't know much about it as of yet. 

We do seem to become all angst - spurred on by the sensationalized media/govts - over something that we're speculating on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Well......I believe we have to wait and observe what this latest mutation might be about. 

We do seem to become all angst - spurred on by the sensationalized media/govts - over something that we're speculating on. 

Much like a virus we have lived with for years upon years any virus will mutate and the annual vaccines for that virus do change.  One has to wonder how far it has spread spread  cases being found in many locales now where no one has been a known traveler.

Do we could tinge moving forward and accepting g we need to learn to live with it? I think k we do after 2 years of this. If folks have not learned from the past, they never will.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Indeed no one knows what the impact of the Omicron variant will be. But the point is that regardless of what Thailand does, Omicron will get here, if not directly from South Africa, then via intermediary source countries. If strict quarantine , social distancing measures, and  travel restrictions did not prevent any of the other variants from getting here, why would this more relaxed measures do? 

This is a pandemic, a world wide event and what is needed is a coordinated worldwide effort. I see a high level multy-nation democracy conference, being discussed in another thread , but I don't yet see  a high level international conference to discuses coordination and efforts for covid mitigation. 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Indeed no one knows what the impact of the Omicron variant will be. But the point is that regardless of what Thailand does, Omicron will get here, if not directly from South Africa, then via intermediary source countries. If strict quarantine , social distancing measures, and  travel restrictions did not prevent any of the other variants from getting here, why would this more relaxed measures do? 

This is a pandemic, a world wide event and what is needed is a coordinated worldwide effort. I see a high level multy-nation democracy conference, being discussed in another thread , but I don't yet see  a high level international conference to discuses coordination and efforts for covid mitigation. 

98.4% of infected [262 million] have recovered. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Much like a virus we have lived with for years upon years any virus will mutate and the annual vaccines for that virus do change.  One has to wonder how far it has spread spread  cases being found in many locales now where no one has been a known traveler.

Do we could tinge moving forward and accepting g we need to learn to live with it? I think k we do after 2 years of this. If folks have not learned from the past, they never will.

Israel has now closed its borders to all foreign travelers but as we all know its now too late, its already out there and all we now have is time before this version hits us, if it does transpire to be so infectious.

I'm tending to agree with you, after nearly two years we cannot go through this again, we all have to take responsibility as much as we can and protect ourselves, vaccines for this version will be months away for mass delivery stage. Nobody can stop this now.

Beta was all immune evasion ability and not much else, Delta was all transmissibility and a little immune evasion.  Omicron has the best of both and then more, its so far removed from the original Wuhan version that the vaccines were originally made for.

• Like 1