Solar Pump automatic

MJCM

Just a couple of days ago we had a Solar Water Pump installed.

It's only purpose (at the moment) is to pump water from a Lake to a Holding Tank (which feeds the garden)

We asked if the Pump could be "automatic" with automatic I mean that when the float valve is "open" the pump starts and tops up the Water Level, so when the tank is FULL (and the float valve is "closed") the Pump does not pump.

The installer was adamant and said it's not possible to do this, question is was he right or wrong?

(Ps: We asked him if they installed an Electric Float Valve (something like this "Link to Lazada" ) and NO still not possible.

So NOW we have to walk approx 200 Meters to the lake, turn the Pump on, walk back to the tank check the water level and when the tank is nearly full walk back to the pump and switch it off! (Good exercise though :thumbsup:

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see why you can't put a float switch in the line from the solar panels.

Thx, I am not that technical (read can't install it) so they have to do the work and they said it's not possible so that's why I came here and ask!

You need to speak to another pump man or electrician.  What you want is a very common switching system in Thailand for pumps and tanks.  If you can turn the pump on and off, several other tank water level systems can do it also.

Your installer either did not understand, did not want to do it for you, did not know how to do it or was misinformed.  Or I am having a very bad Sunday morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

You need to speak to another pump man or electrician.  What you want is a very common switching system in Thailand for pumps and tanks.  If you can turn the pump on and off, several other tank water level systems can do it also.

Your installer either did not understand, did not want to do it for you, did not know how to do it or was misinformed.  Or I am having a very bad Sunday morning.

He most certainly Understood what we wanted and the installer (the guy that come to our house) talked to his "boss (who I believe is the main SOLAR guy at that company) he also said not possible.

11 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

What you want is a very common switching system in Thailand for pumps and tanks. 

Can you show me one of these and I will show it to them!!

Edited by MJCM

4 minutes ago, Netease said:

you need an electric cut of switch to go near the pump and a float valve at the tank to cut off water when tank full. would be helpful if you posted pictures of what you have and voltage of pump

Here a Picture of the Pump. What more do you want the Solar Panels/The Holding Tank/???

pump.jpg.37c23788fccf4a6e8a1a0f50f15e6991.jpg

how often do you water the garden and for how long, how much water do you use for the garden 

You could connect the pipe from the lake to the tank and the garden hose at the same time use a timer for the garden if you have irrigation system in place

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Netease said:

how often do you water the garden and for how long, how much water do you use for the garden 

You could connect the pipe from the lake to the tank and the garden hose at the same time use a timer for the garden if you have irrigation system in place

This IS NOT for watering the Garden! This is just for FILLING a Holding Tank! Solar for Watering the garden is of (at the moment) no use because my Wife starts watering the garden sometimes at 5:30am and in the evening she stops watering well after dark!

Edit: It's a 4000 Liter Tank and she uses approx 1 tank per day (More in the evening). This morning it was approx 70% empty and it took the pump approx 40 minutes to fill it up again)

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, Netease said:

Show it to the solar installer or electrician 

How about this

1.   Put a mechanical float valve on the tank which will open the water input when the water is low and turn off the water when it is full.  No electrical required. No connection to the pump required.  These float valves are very easy to find.

2.  At the pump put in a pressure switch which will turn the pump on when there is low water pressure in the pipe, this is when the float valve opens to fill the tank.  And turns the pump off when the pressure is high, that is when the float valve at the tank is closed.  So what you need to find is a pressure switch to do that job.  I do not know how difficult that will be, finding one that runs with normal electric power is no problem, the question/problem is about the solar power voltage running your pump, ac or dc ....being right for the pressure switch.

Alternative 2.

This would be a float valve in the tank connected by a wire to a switch that would turn the pump on and off.  I can see some possible problem here since the electrical power from the float valve would be regular house 220v and that probably does not match the power used by the pump.  The key seems to be that the voltage in the wire from the float valve only be for switching and not be connected in any way to the solar power.  These systems do exist but where in Thailand I can not say.

solar-water-pumping-do-i-really-need-a-control-box.html

Attached article helpful

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Netease said:

Show it to the solar installer or electrician 

Will do, we will be going to the store this coming week, but isn't this the same as I have on my (NOT solar pump) to make it automatic) (Pressure switch????)

This is the PUMP (NOT SOLAR) that takes the water from the Holding Tank and feeds the garden

Edit: The same shop that installed the Solar Pump build us this.

switch.thumb.jpg.b34ef03291097c79214aa9f847bca5b1.jpg

Edited by MJCM

6 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

How about this

1.   Put a mechanical float valve on the tank which will open the water input when the water is low and turn off the water when it is full.  No electrical required. No connection to the pump required.  These float valves are very easy to find.

We suggested this, (because there is a Float Valve (mechanical) installed in the Tank (came with the tank) but the installer said if the tank is FULL and the float valve closes then the PUMP will still be PUMPING until there is SUN (and this (his words) could damage the PUMP.

He then suggested to take the FLOAT VALVE OUT and let the water overflow.

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Will do, we will be going to the store this coming week, but isn't this the same as I have on my (NOT solar pump) to make it automatic) (Pressure switch????)

This is the PUMP (NOT SOLAR) that takes the water from the Holding Tank and feeds the garden

Yes

3 minutes ago, Netease said:

Yes

So the problem is (if I understand correctly) is to find the same Pressure Switch that matches the Voltage of Pump we are using? Correct?? (or am I completely wrong about this).

If that is the case the installer they must know about this! And if so then I am totally shocked why they DONT KNOW! If it is possible for a NORMAL (I mean not SOLAR) PUMP then why shouldn't it be possible for Solar! :w00t:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It would also be good to have a similar diaphragm tank in the system as you have in the picture to stop the pump going on/off when the tank valve opens and closes when tank nearly full to protect the pump 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

So the problem is (if I understand correctly) is to find the same Pressure Switch that matches the Voltage of Pump we are using? Correct?? (or am I completely wrong about this).

If that is the case the installer they must know about this! And if so then I am totally shocked why they DONT KNOW! If it is possible for a NORMAL (I mean not SOLAR) PUMP then why shouldn't it be possible for Solar! :w00t:

You are correct

3 minutes ago, Netease said:

It would also be good to have a similar diaphragm tank in the system as you have in the picture to stop the pump going on/off when the tank valve opens and closes when tank nearly full to protect the pump 

You are B..... s...... me! That EASY! OMG I am totally shocked!!! Thx a lot! :wai:

I am really have some "ammo" when we go into the shop next week!!

Thx Guys!! Really appreciated!!

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So the problem is (if I understand correctly) is to find the same Pressure Switch that matches the Voltage of Pump we are using? Correct??

I think so.

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If it is possible for a NORMAL (I mean not SOLAR) PUMP then why shouldn't it be possible for Solar! :w00t:

Possible for sure but Perhaps difficult because the voltages of the two are not the same.  I think that it may be possible that the solar pump being relatively new may be a different voltage.   I would talk with the larger pump suppliers and or electrical supply shops.  

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see why you can't put a float switch in the line from the solar panels.

He needs to stop the pump - float only blocks the water - pump would then burn out.

It appears would require a powered electric switch at tank and 200 meters of wire to a switch at pump to turn it on/off.  Perhaps better to build more water storage and make the trips less frequent.