Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

webfact

1 hour ago, johng said:

I think the law was  on the books from before Thaksin era  but yes he did bring it back

for  a shortish while before it being largely ignored again until the latest  bunch came along.

Remember also that Thaksin  ordered the overnight closure of supermarkets and petrol stations  as an energy saving measure ? not quite sure if I remember the reason correctly or not....too much beer perhaps

Sorry but no. It has been in place since 2004. I have been here ever since. It has not changed. In some areas (tourist?/airport) it does not apply.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

TG for the local markets.  They’ll sell beer (as long as it’s bagged) anytime between 2 and 5 P.M.  They also offer credit to those in need.  Whatever it takes to survive.

No. You can freely buy from mum and pop shops between 2-5pm. No restrictions. Which is of course the thing. Not at 711 but walk across the road to a mum and pop shop and you can.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

Because it aligns with the ban on sales at the same time which is just ridiculous and stupid . 

It is meant to prevent children from getting alcohol after school and before their parents arrive home from work.  Not reality but it was the reason. 

22 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

So if not a Polli, then who? Father Xmas!

I know this reply is late in the game, however, I feel that like some many laws here this one is because some legislator in order to curry favor  with the one who cannot be mentioned , brought it up and all the others thought oh well doesn't affect me and lets not make him lose face by not passing it so what the heck.  Same to me as most of the pro royalty nonsense.

• Like 1

This is not really much different to the licencing laws that were prevalent in the UK until 1988 alcohol could not be served or bought between 3pm and 5pm (I think to make it difficult for schoolchildren to buy alcohol) and venues serving alcohol had to close by 11pm

11 hours ago, smedly said:

because they can, logical reasons are scarce when it comes to governance in Thailand, lack of intelligence may also be a factor

Is that a Scottish symbol on your moniker? 

Perhaps Thailand merely copied a similar law that was in effect in Scotland when I first moved there...as stupid there as here,  but before inferring it is only in Thailand that stupidity reigns one should perhaps check recent history in your own Country.

PH

• Like 1

Thailand should have 24 hour drinking areas called "Kinda Reddish" zones around tourists areas.

I don't drink myself but without alcohol and night venues with the usual Thai adult entertainment all you have left is Temples and overpriced beach resorts.

6 hours ago, toolpush said:

Purachai Piemsombun , Thaksin's Interior Minister brought in this mandate circa 2001-2002 to supposedly cut down on school kids purchasing alcohol during school hours.

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, that was him. Purachai, the puritan.  

They do it because it's stupid.  For some reason this govt likes stupid rules that make no sense. Going to a restaurant at 2pm and wanting a cleansing ale is for some stupid reason illegal. It loses money for the restaurant and loses tax revenue for the government. Tourists just shake their heads at this kind of nonsense. Everyone knows you can get booze on any corner from small shops. Say it isn't stupid?

1 hour ago, kuzmabruk said:

It is meant to prevent children from getting alcohol after school and before their parents arrive home from work.  Not reality but it was the reason. 

So how many --Children - have fake I D? Just stupid.

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are doing that illegally . 

Both you and the shopkeeper are breaking the law 

Well with all due respects you are wrong. This only applies to supermarkets, 711 etc. If I am wrong then for the last 17 yrs all mom and pop shops have been breaking the law everyday and continue to do so. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Mom & Pop store next door to a 7/11 across the road from a school serves alcohol all day ?

Not across from a school and not in a petrol station (that was stopped post coup I think but I might be wrong) and not all day. Not sure where I said across from a school. Silly comment. Do you live in Thailand? 

Edited by dinsdale

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not across from a school and not in a petrol station (that was stopped post coup I think but I might be wrong) and not all day. Not sure where I said across from a school. Silly comment. Do you live in Thailand? 

The Mom &Pop sells all day, the 7/11 adheres to the rules, both across from the school, I live in the same area.

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The Mom &Pop sells all day, the 7/11 adheres to the rules, both across from the school, I live in the same area.

There was a ban from any shops in a certain distance from a school selling alcohol cant remember the distance and if it still applies but it was just more madness from the mad people in charge. You used to be able to buy alcohol in petrol stations not any more. I can sort of understand that but drive down the road a bit and you can from a 711 (not 12 a.m - 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. - 5 pm) or any mum and pop shop. As for mum and pop shops selling all day I have come across a few that are open 24 hrs and again some 711's sell alcohol 24 hrs e.g. at the airport.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Well with all due respects you are wrong. This only applies to supermarkets, 711 etc. If I am wrong then for the last 17 yrs all mom and pop shops have been breaking the law everyday and continue to do so. 

The alcohol restrictions laws apply to all shops/restaurants/premises that sell alcohol , mom & pop shops don't get a free ride and indeed they are breaking the law in selling alcohol outside of permitted times 

14 hours ago, smedly said:

because they can, logical reasons are scarce when it comes to governance in Thailand, lack of intelligence may also be a factor

Same goes for postings on this forum.

The rule has to do with keeping it away from kids after school, but mom and pop shops are selling so they can still get it if they want.

13 minutes ago, jing jing said:

Same goes for postings on this forum.

The rule has to do with keeping it away from kids after school, but mom and pop shops are selling so they can still get it if they want.

If mom & pop shops sold alcohol to kids after school , those shops would get clamped down upon and action would be taken to stop it . (OK , theres probably a few villages in Issan which allow it and dont care )