Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

webfact

40 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The alcohol restrictions laws apply to all shops/restaurants/premises that sell alcohol , mom & pop shops don't get a free ride and indeed they are breaking the law in selling alcohol outside of permitted times 

If you could show this law in writing it would be great because I have never and I repeat never not been able to buy alcohol during the 2-5 pm period and indeed in the morninig if I feel so before 11 a.m. at a mum and pop shop if they're open. i.e. e.g 8:00 a.m. Religion and elections being an exception depending on where I am. 

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

If you could show this law in writing it would be great because I have never and I repeat never not been able to buy alcohol during the 2-5 pm period and indeed in the morninig if I feel so before 11 a.m. at a mum and pop shop if they're open. i.e. e.g 8:00 a.m. Religion and elections being an exception depending on where I am. 

Laws are Countrywide for everyone , certain shops do not get different laws to other shops .

There isnt one law for 7/11's and another law for your local shop . 

Its the same law for all shops , some shops abide by laws and others do not  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Laws are Countrywide for everyone , certain shops do not get different laws to other shops .

There isnt one law for 7/11's and another law for your local shop . 

Its the same law for all shops , some shops abide by laws and others do not  

Every mum and pop shop in all of Thailand sells alcohol outside of the midnight to eleven and the two to five shutdown for supermarkets and 7's etc. This is fact. Why argue the point. It is reality. If this is illegal as you say why does it happen absoltutely nation wide (not now of course with the ever going state of emergency/curfew) 

Edited by dinsdale

10 hours ago, toolpush said:

Purachai Piemsombun , Thaksin's Interior Minister brought in this mandate circa 2001-2002 to supposedly cut down on school kids purchasing alcohol during school hours.

My memory might fail me but I reckon it was 2004. That was an election year. I remember the army helicopters with huge speakers flying overhead blasting out vote Thaksin. It was also the year of the tsunami.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Every mum and pop shop in all of Thailand sells alcohol outside of the midnight to eleven and the two to five shutdown for supermarkets and 7's etc. This is fact. Why argue the point. It is reality. If this is illegal as you say why does it happen absoltutely nation wide (not now of course with the ever going state of emergency/curfew) 

It isnt a fact at all , an increasing number of Mom & Pop shops are now abiding by the law , they usually first get a warning letter from the authorities and threats of 100 000 Baht fines and if they they caught selling alcohol outside of the permitted hours m they get prosecuted .

Yes, some M&P shops take no notice of the law and continue breaking it, but that doesnt then make it legal for them to be doing it . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct, one of the reasons was to stop schoolkids buying alcohol after school and getting drunk before they got home in the evening.

No one seems to have noticed the sale of alcohol is also banned until 11 am maybe someone can inform TAT about that coz he don't seem to know.

47 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It isnt a fact at all , an increasing number of Mom & Pop shops are now abiding by the law , they usually first get a warning letter from the authorities and threats of 100 000 Baht fines and if they they caught selling alcohol outside of the permitted hours m they get prosecuted .

Yes, some M&P shops take no notice of the law and continue breaking it, but that doesnt then make it legal for them to be doing it . 

Maybe where you live but they all sell underground lottery tickets, the winning numbers are clearly on display, and their lethal Lao Khao whisky, 2 people have died in our village in 1 month alone, I asked my missus why police do nothing ? "Him always pay Polith" 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct, one of the reasons was to stop schoolkids buying alcohol after school and getting drunk before they got home in the evening.

Wouldn't it be illegal to sell alcohol to school kids at any time of the day ? ????

• Like 1

At the time of the ban on afternoon sales, the excuse was as I remember, was to stop children buying it on the way home from school, also I remember a few years ago that kids where in my local Family Mart having been served with Beer, whilst I brought an Ice Cream.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:24 AM, webfact said:

Thailand's tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan admitted to Thai media yesterday that he hadn't any idea why the country bans drinking from 2 pm to 5 pm in the afternoon.

This doesn't make any sense.  You think that people don't just alter when they go shopping. 

Reminds me of when I lived in Dallas.  Certain areas had old laws that prohibited the sale of alcohol in restaurants.  They were called "blue laws:  However private clubs could still sell alcohol.  So the restaurants started "clubs"  For about $1 dollar you became a member of that particular restaurants private club and you got a card as a club member.  You just showed your card to the server and then you could order alcohol.  The biggest nuisance was carrying around all those cards since each restaurant had to be its own private club. 

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is there really such a problem with Thai kids and alcohol ?

I don't ever recall seeing kids drinking 

They do, really. They follow their parents I feel. I'm talking about the kids in rural areas with no entertainment but also kids in Bangkok are notorious for alcohol and drugs.

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

On the one hand you mix up existing legislation and on the other hand what the Thais make of it. Most M&P shops live from hand to mouth. There is not much to be gained by the police. Most M&P shops know their customers, especially in the villages. No problem buying alcohol during the prohibited times. But, it's still illegal.

And if an unknown Thai comes into an M&P shop and has polished black shoes on, he definitely won't get any alcohol during the prohibited times.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

“Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban.”

Earlier today, Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban took the stand and was cross examined by the Tourism minister. Mr. Al Kaholban was grilled for 3 hours, but did not waiver in his commitment or his composure. 

Following the cross examination the Tourism Minister insisted his cross examination was effective when he spoke to the press saying, “I’m sure Mr. Al Kaholban now understands Thailand has no intention of backing down or even following up on this matter any further. I did however show him who is boss and impressed upon him that his continued loitering is not appreciated.”

Meanwhile, Mr. Kaholban would only offer the following, “Mr. Tourism minister is a fool, if he thinks he can intimidate me. I’m not going anywhere.” He then stormed off with his head held high. 

The whole incident left onlookers bewildered and at a loss for what had just transpired, since nothing seemed to get accomplished. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DBath said:

“Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban.”

Earlier today, Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban took the stand and was cross examined by the Tourism minister. Mr. Al Kaholban was grilled for 3 hours, but did not waiver in his commitment or his composure. 

Following the cross examination the Tourism Minister insisted his cross examination was effective when he spoke to the press saying, “I’m sure Mr. Al Kaholban now understands Thailand has no intention of backing down or even following up on this matter any further. I did however show him who is boss and impressed upon him that his continued loitering is not appreciated.”

Meanwhile, Mr. Kaholban would only offer the following, “Mr. Tourism minister is a fool, if he thinks he can intimidate me. I’m not going anywhere.” He then stormed off with his head held high. 

The whole incident left onlookers bewildered and at a loss for what had just transpired, since nothing seemed to get accomplished. 

Thx for the details. It is positive that a law that affects all people in Thailand is being discussed in public. Negative is the childish reaction from Mr. Kaholban, who sees questioning the law as a personal attack. That is the dilemma in Thailand and shows the level at which laws are passed by egomaniacs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

On the one hand you mix up existing legislation and on the other hand what the Thais make of it. Most M&P shops live from hand to mouth. There is not much to be gained by the police. Most M&P shops know their customers, especially in the villages. No problem buying alcohol during the prohibited times. But, it's still illegal.

And if an unknown Thai comes into an M&P shop and has polished black shoes on, he definitely won't get any alcohol during the prohibited times.

Also M&P shops are unlikely to sell alcohol to kids due to being friends with their parents and not wanting any comeuppance or being blamed for the consequences of any drunk kids 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Also M&P shops are unlikely to sell alcohol to kids due to being friends with their parents and not wanting any comeuppance or being blamed for the consequences of any drunk kids 

True. But also many parents send there kid for buying, while the play bokdeng or hilow. 555 That is Thailand Coutry life.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Parents? Don't you mean grandparents (who probably don't give a damn).

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Police do regularly fine people for not wearing helmets and riding motorbikes illegally , now the Police are confiscating  illegal motorbikes 

Never seen that happen for months around here in Chonburi. 

The only people that wear helmets are grab drivers or people commuting to and from work on the main roads.

The Thai Government Official who said the reason why we heavily tax imported wine is because it's classified as "luxurious product". Well, I can only say that 80% of wine I see on shelves here are just ordinary  "plunk" table wines. They should start employing people who have a bit of knowledge about wine.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world".    Louis Pasteur