Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

webfact

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct, one of the reasons was to stop schoolkids buying alcohol after school and getting drunk before they got home in the evening.

And to improve their organizational and planning skills.  Learning how to plan ahead and find alternatives like tramadol + cough syrup is important for their development.  

• Like 1

Our local one lets us buy out of hours

23 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct, one of the reasons was to stop schoolkids buying alcohol after school and getting drunk before they got home in the evening.

So why the ban at weekends when there is no school. Another law says no selling at any time if the shop is within 300 meters of a school. The only place I have seen that went along with this was Ubon city, almost impossible to find a 7/11 selling booze

• Like 1

I also never understood this prohibition on the sale of alcohol in the morning and afternoon, especially in the resorts.  When I couldn't buy beer in one store in the morning, I just walked to another 7Eleven located 50 meters away and bought alcohol there without any problem ...

The minister is correct. It's a stupid rule. Partly because it is selectively enforced. For example, pubs/restaurants in Sukhumvit can keep selling all afternoon but restaurants in shopping malls often follow the 2-5 ban. 7-11's follow the ban but Mom and Pop shops don't, and it's not like the local cops don't know they're selling. 

It's simply an inconvenience for no reason. But then, we are in Thailand. Perhaps we should be grateful for small mercies, after all this rule isn't currently enforced on the basis of race like so many rules in Thailand (but the way things are going maybe that's one for later).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:
1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

The 2pm to 5pm rule.

In school zones is 24 hours no Alk. 

That's funny.  In Udon Thani you have the schools and right across the roads are liquor stores, 7-11 etc.  An example would be the large school near the airport and right across the street is a 7-11 that you can buy alcohol in.  Another case in point is that directly across the main road from Rajahbat University there is a nice set of stores and clubs for drinking.

Edited 59 minutes ago by ThailandRyan

All the stores need to do is check the ID that every Thai carries. Simple. But no. In Thailand they have to make things complicated and inconvenient, so stores close to schools and unis are banned from selling to anyone, even if they are 50 years old. Maybe they think you're a teacher buying for your pupils ???? Cretins.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

And there was me worrying about my 7yo son arriving home from school with lipstick on his collar.

• Haha 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Yes, most countries have restrictions that actually make sense, such as age restrictions. Most countries enforce these rules consistently, not arbitrarily.

That is why many of us like living in Thailand , because all the rules are not strictly enforced and we can purchase beer out of licensing times, if we want to  , dont think Thailand deserves criticism for that 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is why many of us like living in Thailand , because all the rules are not strictly enforced and we can purchase beer out of licensing times, if we want to  , dont think Thailand deserves criticism for that 

You're right. As an old Thailand veteran you can get along well. But fresh tourists are surprised when they stand at the cash register and hear: "Can not". Then maybe they read the stickers on the refrigerators and try to understand the meaning of the permitted sales times.

Unfortunately, every ban or restriction is also a popular source of income for the BiB and promotes corruption.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

There are lots of good things about living here. But for me, nonsensical laws that are arbitrarily enforced by corrupt officialdom is not one of them. Each to his own though, whatever floats your boat.

Actually I kind of liked it too.  I'd go down a few stores and find some corner shop that would sell you a bottle during the banishment hour (s).   It was so asinine, so strange.  Bizarre.  Thailand.  

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

There are lots of good things about living here. But for me, nonsensical laws that are arbitrarily enforced by corrupt officialdom is not one of them. Each to his own though, whatever floats your boat.

Do you think that the rules should be strictly enforced , like they are back home ?

17 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Actually I kind of liked it too.  I'd go down a few stores and find some corner shop that would sell you a bottle during the banishment hour (s).   

Nothing better than a challenge, a nod and a wink with the locals, and sense of beating the system..........................I hear you................Fun fun fun..........................

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Personally I'd rather they removed the stupid laws, and enforced the serious ones rather than getting some cheap thrill out of "getting away with it" or "beating the system" by buying a beer at a Mom and Pop shop at 3pm. But then, I'm not 14 anymore.

Nothing wrong with a 'cheap thrill' as long as it's not at another's expense..................................

4 minutes ago, bojo said:

Nothing wrong with a 'cheap thrill' as long as it's not at another's expense..................................

But the nonsensical law that enables you to get the 'cheap thrill' by breaking it, at best inconveniences people and at worst is used to extort people.

So why have the law?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

This thread is about the alcohol restriction laws and that is what we are talking about , we aren't talking about all laws in general .

We are discussing the alcohol restrictions laws , absolutely no need for you to make the suggestion that I am a pedophile or that I think those laws against it shouldn't be enforced and no need to eeven mention that subject .

The alcohol restriction laws is the topic of discussion and that is what I was referring to 

I see. You think it's fun to break some laws but not others. Presumably it's down to the individual to decide which laws are 'fun' to break. What could possibly go wrong with such a system?

• Confused 1