Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

webfact

9 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

Years ago someone told me it was to stop students buying alcohol after school. I offer no opinion. ????

This Rule is still in order and means no alcohol for 24 hours in school zones, same for shops on gas stations. The 2pm - 5pm nonsense is a extra horse.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's funny.  In Udon Thani you have the schools and right across the roads are liquor stores, 7-11 etc.  Case in point is that directly across the main road from Rajahbat University there is a nice set of stores and clubs for drinking.

https://www.loc.gov/item/global-legal-monitor/2015-08-14/thailand-alcohol-banned-near-educational-institutions/

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand's tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan admitted to Thai media yesterday that he hadn't any idea why the country bans drinking from 2 pm to 5 pm in the afternoon.

Google is your friend, no?

NB: This is not a troll post or a comment on moderation.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Doesnt always happen when you have business Areas, as well as Moo Bans the next Soi over. Rarely seen it enforced for no alcohol sales. However, I agree it should be done 1 hour before school and 1 hour after school closing.

From your link:

the order does not specify the scope of “vicinity” or “educational institutions,” but “the latter is defined in existing laws as including all levels of education, such as elementary schools and high schools.”

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

Years ago someone told me it was to stop students buying alcohol after school. I offer no opinion. ????

Correct, one of the reasons was to stop schoolkids buying alcohol after school and getting drunk before they got home in the evening.

• Like 2