Cabinet approves one-year visa for foreigners seeking medical treatment in Thailand

snoop1130

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

So, which Thai bank will allow a foreigner to open an account to get this visa? It's hard enough opening one when you're actually in Thailand!

It doesn't stipulate it has to be a Thai bank.

Most people will apply for a visa from Thai consulate in their country.

That would make it impossible to open a Thai bank account, I would suggest that you have to show sufficient funds in the account you hold in your name.

Of course it could all change.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, garyk said:

I need dental implants. Does the 800K need to be in a Thai bank or do I just show it in my US bank account. I know the dentist in Thailand and he has done my dental work but, the time limit has always stopped me. This may be just be what I am looking for. As long as I don't have to transfer 800K over for a one year stay in a  Thai Bank.

Living in hope? 

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

It doesn't stipulate it has to be a Thai bank.

Most people will apply for a visa from Thai consulate in their country.

That would make it impossible to open a Thai bank account, I would suggest that you have to show sufficient funds in the account you hold in your name.

Of course it could all change.

You don't really believe that immigration will accept an off-shore bank account with B800k for issue of a visa, do you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not a farce. But rather sheer panic. Expats are leaving in droves and tourists are not coming. Income is dropping, unemployment is rising, so are suicides. The economy is in the toilet. Desperation is setting in. The goons are grasping for straws after sabotaging a most vital industry. 

But the baht keeps getting stronger

Edited by ourdon
sarcastic irony not clear enough

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A mass exodus is taking place. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond..... sounds like a working Expat thing, and perhaps more prevalent in the capital. I know more who are simply retired here.... and some are even on their way to do that. 

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

You don't really believe that immigration will accept an off-shore bank account with B800k for issue of a visa, do you? 

Maybe I'm not reading the post correctly?

It's about applying for a year long medical visa? 

So I'm assuming most people will be applying to the Thai consulate located  in their home country? 

If the consulate is satisfied you meet the criteria then they (the consulate) will issue the visa, no requirement or need to contact immigration!

Of course if you reside in LoS then they would probably want to see the 800,000 in a Thai Bank.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

Immigration has nothing to do with it, besides of stamping the person into Thailand.

I just had a look at the notes of the latest Cabinet meeting, the OP skipped important details:

It's a multiple entry visa, valid for one year, but only granting 90 days each time.

The hospitals who offer this visa have to be pre-approved by the government, they have to submit the treatment plan to the MOPH, and the MOPH has to approve it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Immigration has nothing to do with it, besides of stamping the person into Thailand.

Tell that to immigration next time you apply for extension etc. and your paperwork isn't up to what they think it should be /want, that very quickly quickly turns into no stamp. 

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A mass exodus is taking place. 

A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with wills and legal status, for their vehicles, properties, and businesses, for their Thai families remaining behind.

He said he has never seen anything like it, in the 30 years he has been in practice here. It is totally unprecedented in his experience. 

Woe is Thailand. Where is the hope for the future? 

The dinosaur creeps are moving this nation backwards at a breakneck pace. Truly regressive reptilian leadership. 

Did you ask the lawyer what was the most common reason given for leaving Thailand?

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Tell that to immigration next time you apply for extension etc. and your paperwork isn't up to what they think it should be /want, that very quickly quickly turns into no stamp. 

We are talking about a visa here, applied for at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand, not an extension

Edited by jackdd

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Did you ask the lawyer what was the most common reason given for leaving Thailand?

1. Declining quality of life. 

2. An oppressive government that was not sincere about letting go of power. Ever. 

3. High prices on most import goods and wine. Crappy selection of beer. 

4. Rampant xenophobic on the part of the goons and immigration. 

5. A nation in reverse. No hope for a better future here. 

6. Extreme timidity and destruction of the economy, many lives and businesses. Please, don't blame Covid. That is only one element. 

7. Little in the way of good education available for kids. 

8. The sanitization of Thai society, the elimination of anything that resembles character, and the tired, insincere, increasingly fake purity campaigns. 

9. The continued environmental destruction and worsening air quality, coupled with no intent of effort to fix anything. 

10. The worsening dependence on China. Will Thailand eventually be a communist colony? 

Shall I go on? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

I just had a look at the notes of the latest Cabinet meeting, the OP skipped important details:

It's a multiple entry visa, valid for one year, but only granting 90 days each time.

The hospitals who offer this visa have to be pre-approved by the government, they have to submit the treatment plan to the MOPH, and the MOPH has to approve it.

It’s always naff when you look under the surface; they don’t give anything away. I was considering it as I need a filling. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, daveAustin said:

Is it really getting that bad now? Folly hankering for yesteryear I know—the 1990s and early noughties in Thailand were amazing—but It’s a crying shame how much the place has changed since that lot came in. High baht and ott pandemic restrictions are one thing, but potential visa uncertainties and just the air of commieness is going to turn people off. 

The current leadership is a disgrace. They could not find less worthy men, if they did a nationwide hunt. They are tearing Thailand asunder, and decimating it on countless levels. All they have ever done in 7 years for the people is the smallest amount of infrastructure improvement. 

Woe are the Thai people with regressive, fake puritan dinosaurs leading the nation.