Cabinet approves one-year visa for foreigners seeking medical treatment in Thailand

snoop1130

This was in another paper about this story

"Foreigners eligible for the new visa are patients who need medical services in areas that Thailand has mastered. These include anti-aging medicine, health rehabilitation, plastic surgery, dentistry and treatment for cancer and cardiovascular disease, she said." 

I don't think there is such a thing as Anti-Aging Medicine.  Aging can't be stopped.  Maybe someone should tell the Cabinet.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So basically a retirement visa with an added addition of a hospital appointment letter - what a farce.

But but .... no need to be 50 year old, and probably no need the 800k to be /stay on Thai bank , might stay on home bank showed when applying for the visa ....

treatment can be many ...eg. cosmetic ????

Seems OK to me. It's another option for those under 50 who have plenty of cash to retire. Just get an appointment for penis reduction surgery, 800k in the bank and you're good to go. I never understood the age requirement for retirement visas anyway. Surely lots of people can retire before 50, sportsmen for example.

People here moan when they tighten the visa requirements, then moan when they offer easier options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I cannot see it being in a foreign bank account. If the did that they have no guarantee the money would come to thailand and second they may as well change all retirement extensions to 800k in a foreign bank. Be more cost effective and safer to have a hospital letter treating herpes once a year if you can keep it outside Thailand 

13 hours ago, garyk said:

I need dental implants. Does the 800K need to be in a Thai bank or do I just show it in my US bank account. I know the dentist in Thailand and he has done my dental work but, the time limit has always stopped me. This may be just be what I am looking for. As long as I don't have to transfer 800K over for a one year stay in a  Thai Bank.

To be eligible, each patient has to provide a bank statement with at least 800,000 baht for all the expenses 

in Thailand

22 minutes ago, david555 said:

But but .... no need to be 50 year old, and probably no need the 800k to be /stay on Thai bank , might stay on home bank showed when applying for the visa ....

treatment can be many ...eg. cosmetic ????

13 hours ago, garyk said:

I need dental implants. Does the 800K need to be in a Thai bank or do I just show it in my US bank account. I know the dentist in Thailand and he has done my dental work but, the time limit has always stopped me. This may be just be what I am looking for. As long as I don't have to transfer 800K over for a one year stay in a  Thai Bank.

I think the clue is here :

To be eligible, each patient has to provide a bank statement with at least 800,000 baht for all the expenses in Thailand

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which ailment would take one year to treat thus needing a one year visa ?

Hmm, just a thought. As I am a heart patient, retired in Thailand under continuing care of my Cardiologist in Chiang Mai. So? But I see no current advantage of this for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

This was in another paper about this story

"Foreigners eligible for the new visa are patients who need medical services in areas that Thailand has mastered. These include anti-aging medicine, health rehabilitation, plastic surgery, dentistry and treatment for cancer and cardiovascular disease, she said." 

I don't think there is such a thing as Anti-Aging Medicine.  Aging can't be stopped.  Maybe someone should tell the Cabinet.

Maybe "Stem Cell Therapy" ?

29 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I got an all inclusive package quotation (expensive by the way)  from a very well known private hospital in Bangkok for a procedure.  After I flew to BKK and I met with the doctor they told me there would be additional charges:  10,000 baht for this, 10,000 baht for that, 5,000 baht for something else.  blah blah, policy policy.  This is before I put a foot into the hospital.   I asked for a expat discount and they gave me something like a 900 baht discount.   I thought about it I called the hospital up the next morning at 5:00am and cancelled everything, transferred the money back into my savings account, got on a plane and left.   So if this is what medical tourists encounter after flying half way around the world I doubt Thailand will be considered an international medical hub by many. 

India or Vietnam much better for medical treatment 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I can get that! Down the Thursday market, at the back, there is a little old Thai lady who sells bottles of the stuff, 300 baht a time. ????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 1

"The Thai cabinet approved, in principle, the issuance of medical treatment visas at their meeting today (Tuesday). The visa will allow foreigners seeking medical treatment in Thailand to stay for up to one year, without having to leave the country for visa renewals in the case of tourist visas."

Interestingly, there can be no doubt as to what type of insurance is required. As foreigners, who need a one year medical visa, will be unlikely to qualify for health insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the new visa for under 50 years - what’s the difference and why they don’t make it simple ? Everyone with 800,000k Baht in the bank and other requirements can stay one year ? Probably other new immigration departments may wanna benefit as well ????

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

To be eligible, each patient has to provide a bank statement with at least 800,000 baht for all the expenses in Thailand, and show proofs of a medical appointment that is made at least 30 days in advance, and an insurance that covers accidents, emergencies and COVID-19 worth no less than US$100,000.

A lot like the retirement visa, but without the need to be 50 years old yet? I'm suddenly feeling quite sick and might book that medical appointment.

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

And, ironically, I will have to go to Paris to get a PEA (Prostatic Artery Embolisation)... 

The cause of your enlarged prostate might be something you can easily deal with yourself. Have you tried eating a small handful (About 10 grams) of raw unsalted pumpkin seeds every day-------with the shells removed, of course? Pumpkin seeds did the trick for my father. He suffered for years from an enlarged prostate and had to get up during the night numerous times to urinate. In his case it only took three days after he started eating pumpkin seeds for his prostate to return to its normal size and his night time visits to the bathroom to be no longer necessary.

5 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Nonetheless, there are numerous private hospitals in Thailand that have Anti-Aging clinics.