Are the re-pats you know happier in the home country...

1FinickyOne

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

More happy today can drink a beer in my village restaurant the first time for nearly a year. you ????

1638356234785-564421393.thumb.jpg.b88c5e11488356aa129f8e15cecdd3e1.jpg

It doesn't take much to keep some people happy....you're lucky just the simple act of sitting there drinking beer makes you happy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

I came here after a divorce in my early fifties,found it difficult to get back into a relationship back home. No issues in that department here in Thailand,thought I was 20 again for a year or two. Finally settled down and been in a great relationship for 5 years now,couldn’t be happier in that department. Yes the cost of living is definitely cheaper here if your on a fixed income,and you can sow your seed more easily. But I do miss the cooler climate,friends,son,daughter,grandkids,nice parks,going for a walk along the beach,safer driving conditions. Thailand definitely has its good points and also many bad points. The only reason I am still here is cost of living,take that factor out of the equation and I would rather be back in my home country with my Thai misses. Maybe come back to Thailand for a few months a year to enjoy what it has to offer. 
Some could live out the rest of their lives here,some as they get older find things not as easy as it once was. I will mention this but not using it as an excuse. I suffer from a learning disability,never really any good at school and left as soon as I could to work. I have never been able to speak or understand the Thai language and find it very frustrating not being able to have conversations with my misses family,friends,or even the neighbors or people at the market. Not their fault that’s mine. Maybe things might have been a bit better if I could communicate with more than just my misses who speaks and understands English very well. I do get frustrated easily,that’s my nature,so having to rely on other people to communicate for me makes things worse. 
Horses for courses and this horse hopes to return home again soon. Will I regret that decision when that happens,not sure, but I have to give it a shot. Plus the misses has a lot of friends that are married to foreigners and have moved away from Thailand. Not one of them regrets that decision,so the misses is looking forward to a new life in a new country too.

^^^That abut covers it in a nutshell.

Not being able to communicate in any meaningful way is my with anyone other than my wife is my main frustration with life in Thailand  also. Wife is getting  bored here also and would go back in a heartbeat.

I think the travel restrictions have a lot to do with it. Perhaps when we are able to come and go as we please things will get easier. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I think a lot of it depends on what you want out of your life and the dice you roll on the way.  I had a business that meant me spending about nine months of the year in South East Asia so I moved base camp (formerly I was in London) to Hong Kong.  I lived in two rooms in Mid Levels initially and then moved to Stanley on the other side of the island.  More property for the price but still £3,000 a month.  On my travels I frequently went to Chiang Mai  and liked the more laid back lifestyle. It was only an hours flight from mainland China and when I found I could rent a five bedroom, three bathroom house, on a private estate for £300 a month it was an obvious no brainer. 

I did (stupidly) live for the first year in Bangkok as I was worried about access to my other ports of call in Cambodia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.  But one year in the capital was more than enough and I ended up in Chiang Mai.  Much better for my sanity and the pollution levels were much lower.  I loved it from day one and managed to avoid the "Thai girlfriend" experience for about a year or so.  I made a lot of ex-pat friends in the first year, most of them European or American couples who had moved to Thailand for early retirement or as snowbirds, living there for the winter months.

Then I fell for a Thai girl and things got more complicated.  She ended up moving in with me, much to the annoyance of her father, but with the encouragement of her mother and sisters.  They had spent a lot of time watching programs like Dallas and were certain that I had a ranch, horses and an Olympic sized swimming pool back in farang land.  I think they had visions of us all living  there sipping cocktails and shopping in Rodeo Drive.  Once the truth was known there was a certain amount of cooling off from the female side of the family.

One day a police car pulled up outside the house and out got two officers who marched up to the front door.  I opened it and in they swept in without a word.  Luckily I was wearing my brown trousers.  Also luckily, my girlfriend appeared at that point and smiled widely towards the two men.  I was then introduced to her cousin and uncle and instantly my blood pressure dropped to a sustainable level.  Yes I had fallen for girl from a police family.  Over the next few years is proved to be  a valuable asset for obvious reasons.

And so as these things tend to happen, we got married, she had a baby and you can fast forward eight years.  My business was doing OK but not great and our son was now six years old.  We had looked at international schools in Chiang Mai and there was only one that was sort of OK.  But even  Prem (CM residents will know it) was far from ideal with most of the pupils spoilt brats and arrogant dickheads.  Not for me, especially not for extortionate fees they charged.  I have always been against private education as I went to my local state grammar school.

So after much discussion and many arguments we made a move to the UK, primarily for his education and because my business was suffering and needed a firmer grip than I could give it in Asia.  But also because we had both become disenchanted by Thailand in general.   It is funny how parenthood changes your perspective of things around you.  My wife had grown more westernised in her outlook, which I am afraid was mostly my fault and resulted in us feeling that Thailand was not a place we wanted for our son.

Settling back in the UK was difficult for my wife and she spent a lot of her time on planes going backwards and forwards trying to adjust.  I now know that that was grossly unfair to her and made the whole transition a nightmare  to deal with.  It took at least a couple of years for her to settle into English life.  Even then she had days of regret.

Fast forward again another 11 years and our son is now at college doing his A levels.  My wife has a good job and her indefinite leave to remain visa is in place.  After A levels, the boy will probably go to university and we will be free to go anywhere we want to.  We still have a house in Thailand and my wife still has family there so I suspect we will go there from time to time, but neither of us want to live there again full time. The weather in Britain is dire and the government continue to destroy almost all that was great in Great Britain, so we are thinking about Spain as a place to retire to. 

I really enjoyed my time in Thailand but that was a different time and it, and we, have changed, so time to roll the dice again.

Great story. It illustrates in detail how life events impact on one's decision making.

• Like 2

Old Croc is right depends on your circumstances.

Went back to Melbourne alone Feb 2020. Cared for Mum who later died of cancer. Was stuck in the Melbourne family home alone in the lock downs waiting for probate and Covid safety to improve to book a direct flight. It is like a war. I miss my partner and the party life style in Pattaya. She, however, is talking about lockdowns, the school reverting to online learning, my local bar being closed, the lack of availability of Modern/Pfizer for Thais, thefts, assaults and squatters.

I am happy that I did not experiencing Thailand Government's vaccine hesitancy, the many covid deaths and the winding down of Pattaya and its party lifestyle.

In its wisdom Thailand made Pattaya Wuhan's sister city, so when I saw all those Chinese arriving from Wuhan pulling their suitcases I was very pleased to be leaving.

Although covid safety was a priority in Australia, It is disappointing to see the extent of the money pumping during covid in Australia (and UK and USA). Western governments with their foolishness have created persistent long term inflation as food, housing and car prices go nuts.  Maybe watch out where you put your pennies.

The time to return is after the stupidity has peaked. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inala said:

It doesn't take much to keep some people happy....you're lucky just the simple act of sitting there drinking beer makes you happy

I guess you'll always get one of course it's one of the things that makes me feel good.

Sitting in a restaurant and having a beer was about only thing I have missed during pandemic plus my family not coming to see me once a year. 

Didn't affect my hobbies which I enjoy,  or exercise and the farm work.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess you'll always get one of course it's one of the things that makes me feel good.

Sitting in a restaurant and having a beer was about only thing I have missed during pandemic plus my family not coming to see me once a year. 

Didn't affect my hobbies which I enjoy,  or exercise and the farm work.

Needn't miss out on any such restaurant/bar partaking - 

Have some of the old Thai boys over and party at home. 

Nothing more adventuresome than imbibing with Thai guys - never know what you're gonna get.

????

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

My wife has chosen not to go for British Citizenship as she wants to retain her Thai passport.

Just to be pedantic, there is no rule preventing dual nationality in either country. My entire family are dual nationals, I am presently the only one with one passport. I apply for Thai citizenship in two years.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Needn't miss out on any such restaurant/bar partaking - 

Have some of the old Thai boys over and party at home. 

Nothing more adventuresome than imbibing with Thai guys - never know what you're gonna get.

????

Nah !! Thai mates I meet in village, only some Thai family aloud in our home.

Anyone drunk and getting out of hand are ask to leave. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ourdon said:

Agree with both of you but don't think you're going far enough.  I do (did pre covid) about five to six months in Thai and visit other countries from there. Then about two months wandering through Southern Frances vinyards (out by the start of the summer holidays).   Finally to Canada for an enjoyment of the approximately 4 snow free months they have. (struth!)

Rinse - Repeat. 

It has been a great retirement so far but the pandemic and the new restrictions have had me hunkered down in a cave for the last year.  This hopefully is the time to resume my slow drift around the planet.  Hope to be in LOS next week.

thats a great life.  good on you. i hope when Im older and retired I can do the same as you describe

13 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Just to be pedantic, there is no rule preventing dual nationality in either country. My entire family are dual nationals, I am presently the only one with one passport. I apply for Thai citizenship in two years.

I believe that is probably true now but for us you had to choose whether to surrender your Thai passport as they didn't allow dual nationality over the age of 18.  Britain on the other hand did.  Needless to say most of the British/Thai children we know in Thailand still kept both once they became 18.

• Thanks 1