Are the re-pats you know happier in the home country...

1FinickyOne

On 12/1/2021 at 6:31 PM, freedomnow said:

Yes, got put through the wringer last one year with UK trades.

Learn DIY if I ever move back to UK permanently....

Out-and-out thieves every last one of them....make more than white collar pro's these days...filthy dugs.

I thought the problem was UK govt made illegal for you to mess with electrics, gas,  and water in your home it had to be a qualified tradesmen.

Has that been done away with.? 

On 12/2/2021 at 9:12 PM, dunroaming said:

I think we all probably spend too much time wondering about greener grass.  As the world changes and it is now changing at one hell of a rate, I suspect the grass will take on a different hue and our wish list may change with it.

Yep, totally agree.
Some people are born miserable, always moaning, whinging, whining.
I reckon a number of the negative comments on this forum are coming from these people, some are the re-pats from Thailand, still miserable after leaving this beautiful country

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always did my own ......... after all who is to know?

So did I but had mates in the trades to check it. 

From memory it seems a silly idea because as you said who would know.

You could say you can't find the bill or remember who did the work if something went wrong and the gas and electric inspectors checked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

who did the trips to Thailand for years infatuated with Thai ladies.

inFATuated...

also a type of crazy? - - 

Since there is no particularly sane path through life, then everything is a type of crazy... 

On 12/4/2021 at 6:27 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, totally agree.
Some people are born miserable, always moaning, whinging, whining.
I reckon a number of the negative comments on this forum are coming from these people, some are the re-pats from Thailand, still miserable after leaving this beautiful country

I am not agreeing with you read my post I posted earlier

Think this rather depends on where you live.

My UK house is in a lovely village in Bucks along the river Thames. A beautiful and scenic town. Do I think it better than Thailand ? 100% Do I miss it when living in Thailand 100%, would I rather live there with the thai family ? 100%.

However, due to renting my house out, I am now stuck in a Blackpool bed and breakfast for 22 months, pending a hopeful return in January. Is it better than Thailand ? No flipping way, will I miss it ? Nope, would I rather live here than Thailand ? Nope.

I really do not like living in Thailand and if I could bring the family to my home town tomorrow I would do it. In the future it will happen, but own personal family circumstances means just accepting I have to live there for a while longer

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think this rather depends on where you live.

My UK house is in a lovely village in Bucks along the river Thames. A beautiful and scenic town. Do I think it better than Thailand ? 100% Do I miss it when living in Thailand 100%, would I rather live there with the thai family ? 100%.

However, due to renting my house out, I am now stuck in a Blackpool bed and breakfast for 22 months, pending a hopeful return in January. Is it better than Thailand ? No flipping way, will I miss it ? Nope, would I rather live here than Thailand ? Nope.

I really do not like living in Thailand and if I could bring the family to my home town tomorrow I would do it. In the future it will happen, but own personal family circumstances means just accepting I have to live there for a while longer

Well my advice would be get the ball rolling.

I don't know specifically about UK immigration, but in general spousal immigration takes time.

If you are stuck in the UK, and your real home is rented, take this 'down' time to figure out immigration stuff for your Thai family

On 12/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Guys forget,,,or else dont wont to know,, when you come here relatively young, on your  2 week or 3 month visa,  jump from bar stool to bar stool, chase, or rather get chased by  young sexy females,   its great ,they think,,,I could live  here, what a great way  to live,,  then they age,  they get  to damn old to even climb on a bar stool,    they get called  "papa"  by the bar girls, gone are the days when they were "hunsum man", and the penny drops, living here full time is not the same as being a  short time tourist  and they just dont or wont adapt,  thats when  the moaning starts.     I was  in the first category once, now Im  an expat here, and a lot older, luckily I managed to adapt, I   arent completely happy here, but as my monicker  said, happyennuf, I still  wish for a decent wine at a reasonable price though!!!.

Even without a BG in my bed every night I never wanted to leave LOS. Saddest day of my life when I walked onto that plane for the very last time.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, mstevens said:

FWIW, talking to friends who have also returned, those of us who call Australia and NZ home are generally happy so long as we own our own home. If one didn't own their own home, this part of the world is VERY expensive and that could have a major bearing on A) one's decision to move back home or not and B) whether they would be truly happy or not. Paying $500 - $600 per week for a crappy rental would not make for happy life.

True, and if one is trying to live on a pension ( without savings ) life is a living nightmare. I never thought I'd ever see NZ where people had to live in a car or if they are lucky, a friend's garage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

New Zealand has changed in many ways. These days it's a very expensive country to live if you do not own your own house. Fortunately, I do. It's also not an exciting country and at times it may even feel a bit boring. But pretty much everything works as it should, the healthcare system is available to all, the air is clean and the weather is generally pleasant year-round.

I really don't understand why house prices are so high in essentially an empty country (NZ and OZ).

The world has gone mad with artificial housing shortages caused by governments that prevent their populations from building new homes.

9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think many of us have a love/hate relationship with Thailand.

I don't particularly love or hate any country.

But I do appreciate living in a country where my pension is sufficient to have a comfortable life.

There being so many younger and available women is just the cherry on top.

I'd be seriously struggling to survive back in the UK.

• Like 1

I haven't been back to my home country since May 2019 and can barely imagine anything I'd like more than to visit my family and friends.

However, returning there to live? No thanks. I'm happy to live and work in LOS and have my home, partner and job here.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't particularly love or hate any country.

But I do appreciate living in a country where my pension is sufficient to have a comfortable life.

There being so many younger and available women is just the cherry on top.

I'd be seriously struggling to survive back in the UK.

I hear ya.

For me, and think most of my farang friends who re-patriated, it wasn't cost that was the driver.

I just got irritated with the place.

Now i'm a happily married man, so the availability of young willing sexual partners doesn't bother me.

But it was just the nonsense.

The power going off at the first clap of thunder, turning the water off for half a day, 90 day reports, photocopying a gizzilion copies of my passport, coffee money at police checkpoints, internet randomly going down.

It just wore me down
What's kinda cute to begin with,  after 10+ years just gets old, and maybe the older I get my tolerance for that <deleted> gets somewhat less

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

But it was just the nonsense.

The power going off at the first clap of thunder, turning the water off for half a day, 90 day reports, photocopying a gizzilion copies of my passport, coffee money at police checkpoints, internet randomly going down.

That's true,

I solved the power problems by getting a battery backup for my entertainment room.

Water went off last Thursday for most of the afternoon, I could get a tank, but the problem is not that bad.

My internet (3BB) has always been very reliable.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:49 PM, stigar said:

I live 6 months a year in thailand..thats enough for me.Thats let me keep my benefits in my country.

I meet some foreigners who moved permantly to thailand,and many of them regrets the day they need help from their embassy in Bangkok.If u dont pay tax to ur country of origin dont expect they will help u.

I pay UK  tax through my  Pensions, but i get  zero help  from the Embassy  or NHS

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's true,

I solved the power problems by getting a battery backup for my entertainment room.

Water went off last Thursday for most of the afternoon, I could get a tank, but the problem is not that bad.

My internet (3BB) has always been very reliable.

I also think it depends 'how' you want to live

Now I know guys who are fine with the isaan tin shack, eating from the roadside stalls. Not quite my style.

Me, and my friends didn't quite fit that mold, we all lived a Western life, and that's when the cost equation gets really fuzzy, at least in recent years

A cost of living that's questionable verses home, plus the nonsense that is Thailand, then you get into questionable territory

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1