Thailand backs WHO initiative for international instrument on pandemic response

webfact

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Nations do decide how they wish to respond. The UN has an expert advisory body which makes recommendations based on data and advice collected from around the world. It would be irresponsible and illogical for them not to do so. A global problem requires a global response and that global response requires global cooperation, hence the existence of the WHO.

Advice and recommendations are fine. This thread is about a treaty. A legally binding international instrument. Totally different.

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

100% disagree.  I want this pandemic over.  Sadly, the unvaccinated are allowing it to continue, and mutate.  Possibly into something even more deadly.

I've got rights also.  The right to live my life and not be infected by others who refuse the vaccine for ridiculous reasons.  And the right to try and get life back to normal.

This isn't medical fascism.  Far from it.  And definitely not a slippery path. 

Congrats for being vaxxed!

You do realize that the vaccinated can catch it and pass it on? Last month my double vaxxed brother in law caught it and passed it onto my double vaxxed sister. I still got the vaccine because it's very likely I will get Covid at some point and I want minimal symptoms. I'm not kidding myself into thinking that the vaccine makes me immune, but I will still get my booster shot (already booked in with Vibhavadi hospital) in January because that is MY choice.

Your rights don't stretch as far as demanding what chemicals others inject into their bodies to make your life more convenient. You can encourage, cajole, educate. But you cannot demand. It should never be mandatory.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Advice and recommendations are fine. This thread is about a treaty. A legally binding international instrument. Totally different.

I sincerely hope they adopt that recommendation because appealing to common sense and civic responsibility isn't working. The far right prefer politics to public health. It is a fact that vaccine resistance is predominant among the far right.

https://theconversation.com/white-supremacist-and-far-right-ideology-underpin-anti-vax-movements-172289

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

I sincerely hope they adopt that recommendation because appealing to common sense and civic responsibility isn't working. The far right prefer politics to public health. It is a fact that vaccine resistance is predominant among the far right.

I'm not sure what the far right has to do with this? Although, I suppose the sort of medical fascism and ultra authoritarian stance being pushed by supporters of this kind of treaty/mandatory vaccines could well be regarded as having far right leanings.

However my point stands. The WHO can give advice all they like, but it's a scary thought that a muppet like Tedros Adhanom could have the power to decide which chemical MUST be injected into my body under the legally binding power of an international treaty.

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You do realize that the vaccinated can catch it and pass it on? Last month my double vaxxed brother in law caught it and passed it onto my double vaxxed sister. I still got the vaccine because it's very likely I will get Covid at some point and I want minimal symptoms. I'm not kidding myself into thinking that the vaccine makes me immune, but I will still get my booster shot (already booked in with Vibhavadi hospital) in January because that is MY choice.

Your rights don't stretch as far as demanding what chemicals others inject into their bodies to make your life more convenient. You can encourage, cajole, educate. But you cannot demand. It should never be mandatory.

You do realize that if unvaccinated, your odds of getting sick and dying or ending up in the hospital with a tube jammed down your throat are 10X++???

And yes, my rights do stretch that far.  The supreme court in the US ruled on this years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure what the far right has to do with this? Although, I suppose the sort of medical fascism and ultra authoritarian stance being pushed by supporters of this kind of treaty/mandatory vaccines could well be regarded as having far right leanings.

However my point stands. The WHO can give advice all they like, but it's a scary thought that a muppet like Tedros Adhanom could have the power to decide which chemical MUST be injected into my body under the legally binding power of an international treaty.

It's not Tedros.  It's the hundreds of doctors and scientists they rely on for advice.  He's just the figure head.  Sadly.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you bothered to read the link I provided you would have a better understanding of what the far right has to do with this and their motives.

Using disparaging words like "muppet" to characterise the people you don't agree with instead of a mature discussion of the message isn't helping your cause any.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The far right is mostly responsible for spreading misinformation.  That's a proven fact.  Just look at Fox News and Tucker Carlson's recent stream of lies:

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/vaccines-and-boosters-show-incredible-results-tucker-carlson-declares-covid-19

As vaccines and boosters show incredible results, Tucker Carlson declares the COVID-19 vaccines a failure

Carlson calls the national vaccination effort “the greatest public policy failure of all time” because people are still dying. In reality, vaccines and boosters are still the best prevention, and Fox has its own vaccine passport program.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If you bothered to read the link I provided you would have a better understanding of what the far right has to do with this and their motives.

Using disparaging words like "muppet" to characterise the people you don't agree with instead of a mature discussion of the message isn't helping your cause any.

Frankly, I'm not interested in those who try to link everything they disagree with to their obsession with the far right. It's a diversionary tactic. Even when someone is quite literally opposing medical fascism and ultra authoritarian government policies somehow they are 'far right'. You probably think they are all racist as well, and transphobic, and support Trump. Thailand supporting an international treaty on Covid has nothing to do with the 'far right' so I'd rather stick to the subject in hand than be sidetracked by your political obsessions and clumsy generalizations. 

Tedros is a muppet. And corrupt. And China's puppet. I make no apologies for not pretending to respect him. I certainly wouldn't want to empower any organisation that he has any influence over.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The far right is mostly responsible for spreading misinformation.  That's a proven fact.  Just look at Fox News and Tucker Carlson's recent stream of lies:

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/vaccines-and-boosters-show-incredible-results-tucker-carlson-declares-covid-19

As vaccines and boosters show incredible results, Tucker Carlson declares the COVID-19 vaccines a failure

Carlson calls the national vaccination effort “the greatest public policy failure of all time” because people are still dying. In reality, vaccines and boosters are still the best prevention, and Fox has its own vaccine passport program.

Off topic. This thread is about Thailand supporting an international treaty on Covid19. Not about US politics, Fox News, the far right, Trump etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Frankly, I'm not interested in those who try to link everything they disagree with to their obsession with the far right. It's a diversionary tactic. Even when someone is quite literally opposing medical fascism and ultra authoritarian government policies somehow they are 'far right'. You probably think they are all racist as well, and transphobic, and support Trump. Thailand supporting an international treaty on Covid has nothing to do with the 'far right' so I'd rather stick to the subject in hand than be sidetracked by your political obsessions and clumsy generalizations. 

Tedros is a muppet. And corrupt. And China's puppet. I make no apologies for not pretending to respect him. I certainly wouldn't want to empower any organisation that he has any influence over.

Hardly a diversionary tactic.  It's a well proven fact.  In the US, they made covid political.  That's a fact.

As for the WHO, they do lots of great work.  But yes, kinda blew it with regards to this virus.  But it's not fair to make a blanket statement that the entire organization is corrupt.  It's not.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Absolute nonsense. Nation states should decide how they wish to respond, not the "global community" led by corrupt organizations like the WHO and their clueless leaders.

I saw the unelected leader of the EU, Von Der Leyen is now calling for medical fascism in the form of mandatory vaccination for EU citizens. Another bullet dodged. 

You went off topic here.  This is about a global initiative, not your opinion of the entire WHO.  And for sure not about fascism.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Hardly a diversionary tactic.  It's a well proven fact.  In the US, they made covid political.  That's a fact.

As for the WHO, they do lots of great work.  But yes, kinda blew it with regards to this virus.  But it's not fair to make a blanket statement that the entire organization is corrupt.  It's not.

But this isn't about the US, it is about Thailand signing up to a treaty on Covid.

The WHO have shown themselves to be totally inept. The way they 'investigated' China was laughable. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You went off topic here.  This is about a global initiative, not your opinion of the entire WHO.  And for sure not about fascism.

Huh? The WHO are even mentioned in the opening post. In fact, a WHO convention is suggested as a possible solution to the situation. So me giving my opinion on them is not off topic in the slightest.

As for medical fascism, yeah OK it's a fair cop you got me. I'd just read an article on Von Der Leyen calling for mandatory vaccination and couldn't contain my glee that we were no longer a member of the EU ????

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Huh? The WHO are even mentioned in the opening post. In fact, a WHO convention is suggested as a possible solution to the situation. So me giving my opinion on them is not off topic in the slightest.

As for medical fascism, yeah OK it's a fair cop you got me. I'd just read an article on Von Der Leyen calling for mandatory vaccination and couldn't contain my glee that we were no longer a member of the EU ????

The entire WHO is not corrupt.  That's a ridiculous statement.  And your opinion.  Did they screw up?  Yes, just like every other organization has done at one time or another.  Just saying.

It is a good thing that all of you grown up kids, have gotten your vaccinations for TB, Typhoid, Polio

Diphtheria, and the other diseases you did not want to get. At least your parents had some 

intelligent thought, that a vaccine was more important than a loss of some freedom.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, John Drake said:

Then why do we have another topic in the Thailand News forum with a headline about Pfizer starting work on an Omicron vaccine. That would certainly imply that their existing vaccine isn't up to snuff.

No Pfizer isn't working on a Omicron vaccine but doing research if their vaccine needs modified.