Omicron may become dominant variant with its high transmissibility – Dr. Yong Poovorawan

snoop1130

On 12/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, placnx said:

BBC today was saying that there were a lot of children hospitalized, in South Africa I believe. Presumably they were not vaccinated.

Very likely since they have not done many adults either. 

One critical thing to note at this stage — as highlighted in the Tshwane report — is the markedly different age profiles of the two waves: Over first two weeks of each wave, Omicron cases and hospitalisations skew *much* younger. That alone would be expected to reduce ICU share.

So what does this all mean? First up, does it mean Omicron is "more mild" than previous variants? Well, far more likely it means that people who’ve been vaccinated or infected are showing solid protection against severe disease. And this should not be a surprise!

FFzDzo-XEAI_FVN.png.899205d6236063f726200541186529a6.png

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1467270479912357889

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether it's milder or not is yet to be determined.  But it is more transmissible.  So...more cases equal more hospitalizations.  More hospitalizations equal more in ICU.  More in ICU equal more deaths.  No way to avoid this.  Except with vaccines and the other recommended safety procedures.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Whether it's milder or not is yet to be determined.  But it is more transmissible.  So...more cases equal more hospitalizations.  More hospitalizations equal more in ICU.  More in ICU equal more deaths.  No way to avoid this.  Except with vaccines and the other recommended safety procedures.

I just watched a video that analyzed this and was coming up with similar conclusions but not the 'more deaths'... also the hospital situation as being more manageable as less severe illness, and that too was dependent on the percentage who were fully vaccinated in the population. Can't post a link here but look for yesterdays posting on Youtube by Dr John Campbell.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I just watched a video that analyzed this and was coming up with similar conclusions but not the 'more deaths'... also the hospital situation as being more manageable as less severe illness, and that too was dependent on the percentage who were fully vaccinated in the population. Can't post a link here but look for yesterdays posting on Youtube by Dr John Campbell.

I think he's OK, but definitely not an expert on this.  He's not even a Doctor.  Just a Phd.  But I do like his videos.  I'll get my detailed info from other sources.

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What I"ve gotten online about what is going on is "we still don't know but so far the data looks very promising".  And "things could change".  So far the trajectory by every expert that I"ve seen states that it is good so far.  And they've all said things can change.  

Patience... I keep telling myself that anyways. ????  

• Like 2

Good early signs. 

Less need for oxygen with shorter  stays in hospital. 

No spike in deaths seen even as cases increase. 

Still  early doors to read too much for Omicron but early signs look promising and a good read

for those interested in the early data. 

https://www.samrc.ac.za/news/tshwane-district-omicron-variant-patient-profile-early-features

Edited by Kadilo

3 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Reading somewhere that there has not been one death case worldwide by Omicron, so far. True?  

True, but hard to believe going by the hysteria you can read. Can you imagine what it will be like if a person dies of it. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Reading somewhere that there has not been one death case worldwide by Omicron, so far. True?  

Nobody knows.  And deaths lag by several weeks of hospitalization.  Which is just happening now.  True.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Saanim said:

They are obviously dying of a mysterious variant in South Africa that has not been sequenced yet then. I wonder which it could be?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I prefer to go to the source of data when possible and in this particular video of his it comes from this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1467172016918773775

With the main study being here:

https://www.samrc.ac.za/news/tshwane-district-omicron-variant-patient-profile-early-features

Where if you read it the author also says: 

"Why can't we assume this data shows fewer people die due to the #OmicronVariant (vs. previous variants)? The data for this study = only for the 1st 2 wks of the outbreak. People take time to fall ill/die. It can take longer than 2 wks. Some patients may therefore still die."

However I understand that some prefer this condensed down on a youtube channel

Haha no it doesn't come from a Twitter thread... and ppl have accused me of spreading misinformation. He goes through the main study that you linked.. and also linked to it in the description of the video????. As with all of his videos he goes through the main studies with you. Anyone can just go check the video we are talking about and see your wrong... Made your self look a bit silly

Why lie??

He also states it's a snapshot profile as it says in the study..

However I understand that you prob didn't watch it all before making your comment.

Edited by Sanookmike
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes, quite a few here will look foolish.

Not at all no answer is science is infinite.. I would like to stress that things look good now according to the data available, that could sill change as more data comes in. 

I feel that by just being rational I've been put into the anti Vax/virus denier camp.. when I'm just doing what is advised and following the science. 

Some on here are just sharing the same charts and having a "big number bad" mentally with out any context as to where they fit in current larger picture.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Even if omicron is comparatively mild the way it affects young kids is going to bounce back hard on the anti vax crusaders.

Yeah that is worrying hopefully it remains mild and long covid isn't a problem. 

We are all going to be exposed at some point and we will see deaths rise but the rates should be compared to the infection/case rate and considering that stays low in relation, it could signal that this is nearly over. (Optimism lol)

Just have to watch the figures and hope none of the kids get seriously ill... 

• Sad 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, Bkk Brian said:

I prefer to go to the source of data when possible and in this particular video of his it comes from this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1467172016918773775

With the main study being here:

Please see your direct quote.. you clearly stated that the info in the video came from a twittter thread.

The main study source was show in the video and links provided with encouragement to go and read it for yourself. Anyone who cared to watch the video had access to the link of the main study.

You seemed to imply that my conclusions are based condensed data when we are looking at the same thing.

Edited by Sanookmike