Flying from Bangkok to Australia on December 31 - What are the transit requirements for Changi Airport ??

James Roderick

Singapore Airport Transit Requirements

On December 31, I will arrive into Changi on my way to Australia. On arrival, I will spend an hour in the transit lounge before boarding my onward flight to Australia. I am unsure of what travel documents ( or heath clearance certificates) I will need for flying into Changi  or for my stay in the transit lounge. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current requirements s are   !!

Many thanks in Advance !!

Edited by James Roderick

If you are on Singapore Airlines or Scoot, their website has all the specific details. I've been through Changi twice in the pandemic. All the documents you require (for both transit and entry to Australia) you have to show at checkin. It would be the 72hr prior PCR test, the double vaccination, and the Australian Border Force entry document (sorry I forget the name). Also each state may have a document as well, I know Qld does. You should carry them in hard copies and on your phone if possible. However when I was physically at Changi I never had to show anything, other than passport/boarding pass, merely follow them around as instructed.

Edited by Bluetongue
Spelling and factual addition
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

It would be the 72hr prior PCR test....

Like you said, check both the transit country and the airline you are using to determine the current rules for each.  Last I looked (2 days ago),

the PCR test was required within 2 days of transit in Singapore (not 72 hours).

If you are on Singapore Airlines or Scoot, their website has all the specific details. I've been through Changi twice in the pandemic. All the documents you require (for both transit and entry to Australia) you have to show at checkin. It would be the 72hr prior PCR test, the double vaccination, and the Australian Border Force entry document (sorry I forget the name). Also each state may have a document as well, I know Qld does. You should carry them in hard copies and on your phone if possible. However when I was physically at Changi I never had to show anything, other than passport/boarding pass, merely follow them around as instructed.

I'm pretty sure the pcr test is no longer 72 hours before , it's 2 days before. OP I would check SG Air website for up to date info. If you get PCR test 72 hours ahead you will NOT have a good trip!! 

In Changi Airport are you allowed to buy anything, duty free, food etc???

21 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

In Changi Airport are you allowed to buy anything, duty free, food etc???

It depends, and the rules change fairly frequently. Here's what the guidance is at the moment:

"Most travellers will be able to travel freely within the central transit area, where a variety of shops and dining options are available.

"Please note that some passengers may be subject to regulatory restrictions. Travellers flying from Category II (non-VTL flights) and Category III countries may be requested to remain in their designated central transit area until an hour prior to their next flight departure, while travellers flying from a Category IV country will be required to stay within a transit holding area."

Thailand is currently in Category II, but was in Category III just a few days ago. Also, if you arrive on a designated Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) flight - Thailand is now a VTL country - you'll pretty much be allowed to wander wherever you want (though not everything is open, due to low passenger numbers).

Sorry I can't five you a totally specific answer but I can share the following, which is the opposite to your flight plan but I'm guessing many details will be the same or very similar, or give some guidance.

I'm flying Singapore Airlines from Sydney to S'pore to Bkk on 9 December. One hr 15 min transit in the isolated transit area in Changi, passenger cannot leave the fully isolated transit area, cannot visit duty free etc.

To arrive  / enter Changi international Airport (transit) passengers must have a double vaccination certificate showing full vaccinate name, batch numbers, dates, and the second jab must be completed at least 14 days before flying date. Also name on vaccine certificate must be 100% match to name in passport. Also there must be at least 2 other items on the vaccination certificate which match the details on the personal passport: passport number, date of birth.

Also passengers must present (to check-in at Sydney International a'port and at Changi on arrival and at Suvarnabhumi on arrival) a negative PCR test report which is no more than 2 days old. PCR document must be a report from an internationally accredited laboratory on a WHO format and must have correct spelling, elements which copy the personal passport (as para above).

Also, passenger must be able to prove they have not been outside of Australia for the 21 days before departing Sydney.

Meals/drinks are same as normal flight. Cost of ticket depends when passenger bought the ticket.

Passengers must wear a mask at all times during the flight except when they are eating, and during the transit time at Changi Airport. 

This flight operates every day. I was lucky enough to notice a special fare on 9 December and got both legs of the flight for AUD680-. Flight date can be changed twice without penalty or cost. 30Kg check-in luggage, can purchase (before flight date) more if needed, 7 Kg cabin luggage.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• Like 2

on December 31,  I'm flying with Jetstar from BKK to SGN ( transiting there) and then onto Melbourne. Unfortunately, the Jetstar website doesn't have much information on transit requirements , instead referring travelers to the Changi Airport site. Unfortunately again, the Changi website isn't that easy to follow. As for the Australian Border Force site, it is a complete disaster. One section says that Australian citizens are free to return, with few restrictions. Another section within the same ABF site, mentions submitting an applicating advising of travel date, and health status. However I was not able to access the application form, even though I tried  many times. Has anyone had more success than me?

Don't know if it's changed mate but I have flown Bangkok Sydney and Bangkok Brisbane I didn't require anything special nor showed any paperwork. When you disembark the plane you are given a wristband and taken to a quarantined waiting area till you board your next flight there are plenty of food and refreshment options and if your flying business class the beers are free! Lol don't know what everyone else is rabbiting on about or if they have even done it to be able to comment about it

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

This is from jetstar

https://apac01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jetstar.com%2Fth%2Fen%2Ftravel-alerts%23Travellers%20to%20Singapore&data=04|01||17d4a7166ea84a3a886808d9a5869071|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637722819635243027|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D|1000&sdata=KSH6Phj7znFM03kF2Sh%2Bj4TDyO7jAv%2BCA6FIKZeGpNQ%3D&reserved=0

23 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I'm pretty sure the pcr test is no longer 72 hours before , it's 2 days before. OP I would check SG Air website for up to date info. If you get PCR test 72 hours ahead you will NOT have a good trip!! 

True, the Singapore Airlines details on their website is now showing as '2 days before'.

I've received 2 mails to remind me of many items re Covid, vaccines, tests etc., related to my upcoming SQ flight.  Both e.mails mention '2 days before'. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lazybones said:

Much of this information is confusing to me. Its hard to discern whether the vaccine information refers only to travelers arriving into Changi and clearing immigration to enter Singapore or also applies to those in-transit and staying only an hour or so !