SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?

Scott

SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

Once again, the old grumpy men have spoken…

The problem with optimism/positivity is it very frequently gets divorced from reality these days.  It's a problem sometimes.

Omicron becomes a problem if people start dying, or the vaccines don't work so well.  We don't know much yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have to vote all 3 at the moment.

Our guess is as good as all the experts because they are also all over the dart board with their prognoses.

Time will tell who hit bulls eye.

Personally i boarded the train with the experts who think it is less deadly and could push delta out of the way, but we just have to wait and see.

I just hope my vaccinations will still do what they are supposed to do if i get infected.

So far more than 90% has not had covid here in Denmark during the entire pandemic, but that could change if the new version are much more transmissible.

Time will tell.

I just hope we can avoid lockdowns and move on with life with the few restrictions we have here.

We have covid 19 pass and mandatory masks while shopping and using public transport.

We just started wearing masks again last week, after having several months with no restrictions what so ever.

We never had mandatory masks outdoors and i hope it stays like that.

I hate those annoying masks even if i am a huge fans of the vaccines.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allanos said:

Who is one supposed to believe, the mongers of doom and gloom such as are found on this forum, or those closest to the scientific source of discovery/isolation of the new corona virus variant?

After consulting his Health Minister, yesterday President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa said, "early data shows that while the Omicron variant of Covid-19 appears to be more transmissible, hospital admission rates have remained stable"!

South African doctors have all reported that the observed effects have so far been mild and give no cause for alarm. No deaths from the Omicron virus have yet been reported.

You'll have to put up a link for this. Every time I've seen this, it's followed by...we just don't know yet.

Hospitalizations are up. ICUs are filling up. Doesn't seem mild.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The thing I find fascinating is that of the 16 to 2 FDA external professionals who voted against boosters for anyone else than those older than 65 years of age or those with comorbidities and those who are immunocompromised, just about every cat, dog and mouse are pushing for boosters.

I believe from what I have read coming out of South Africa and elsewhere, it's spreading quicker then Delta, however is not as dangerous as Delta and people are recovering like those who had the flu, no deaths, no major hospitalisations, so why is everyone running around like chooks without heads, because the almighty media is playing us once again.

Get vaxed, but don't panic into getting boosters unless your in one of the above categories, that's my take on it.

Deaths lag by a few weeks. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

1. I Japan and Israel have banned all foreign arrivals.  

2. The US now requires all foreign air travelers to have a negative Covid test 24 hours before departure.

3. Thailand has made no changes to it’s entry policies and requirements for all inbound foreign travelers.  

Of the the 4 countries actions which is the reasonable response to the emergence of the Omicron variant?  I like #3.  

“Virus’s Mutate”. Even “Mr Science” the great Anthony Fauci would agree with this.  Other mutations will be discovered.  Let’s see how nations respond to the future mutations of the Corona Virus.  

So Thailand haven't banned any flights from Southern Africa?

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-bans-entry-people-travelling-eight-african-countries-2021-11-27/

8 hours ago, Andyfez said:

How about a fourth option?;

I don't know enough to make an informed vote

Exactly!

All we really (mostly) know now is that it is more infectious than Delta, quite possibly much more infectious.

We don't yet know the vaccine protection info on it.

We don't yet know the danger compared to now dominant Delta.

We don't yet know if it will replace Delta as dominant or not (although being more infectious indicates that is very possible).

Even if it is less potentially deadly than Delta it could potentially kill many more people than Delta due to it's speed of infection.

So again, WAIT for more info please.

• Like 1

Be careful is all you can do and get vaccinated.

Business as usual in Terminal 21 Korat.

Roads we're packed with travelers from Salon Nakon.

On our way to Hua Hin.

The hotel is sold out next week.

People are tired of staying home no matter what.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Yes they did but they did not close the borders and Thailand’s Covid testing policy for entry has not changed.  Banning Southern African countries is something just about every country has done with exception of N. Korea or Iran.