MAKRO Precooked Frozen Turkeys

arick

Once upon a time, in the wifes village, I paid for a local turkey.  Years ago now, paid 500 baht.  Locals   killed, gutted, plucked it.

To cook,,  they  drove a bamboo stake in the ground, impaled the turkey carcase on it, placed one of those large earthenware garden pots over it, to the ground, heaped  straw all around it  and lit it.        Kept putting more straw for a while...          I got a VERY small  slice for my troubles.  Tasted  great though.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, tonray said:

I'll stick with Gai Yang and cranberry sauce

Thanks for suggesting Gai Yang. I didn't know what it was but googling shows I've seen it on the streets many times. Grilled chicken; now I've got courage enough to try it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Turkey ... no thanks. Have eaten it in so-called excellent eateries all over the globe and it aint' my idea of good game bird.

Much prefer juicy, sweet fleshed, free-range fresh chickens roasted in a good oven (by me & must use a thermometer to judge cook time!) in the French style (rubbed with garlic, slits in skin with fingers of butter inserted, rubbed over with olive oil and salt, pricked with a sharp knife. 

Then stuffed with my own lightly blitzed stuffing of apple, left over brown bread crusts, onion, garlic, shallots, coriander, English parsley, eggs salt & pepper, red capsicum, sweet sun-dried tomatoes. No comparison or competition from turkey any day of the week.

Frozen or store cooked birds of any description aren't a patch on well prepared and home cooked birds i.e. dry flavourless, mass produced barn bred hormone bags - most of them. 

I love to enjoy and share an Aussie styled Xmas fair; home cooked chickens as above (cold or hot as preferred) beautiful (double smoked) ham cut straight off the bone (Central Food Halls sell nice hams), (the Swiss butcher in Rawai sells great hams too), home made potato salad, fresh sea prawns (peel em' yourself as they lay pink juicy n languid on a bed of ice waiting to be devoured) ????????????, green fresh garden salad (I/we grow ????????) homemade coleslaw, homemade hummus and tabouli, French baguettes, pavlova or trifle with home made ice cream for desert????????????????????.

Of course nice chilled French Provence Rose and a few nice icy golden coldies to choose from (I like Moretti, and Asahi Black label beers these days as a Xmas treat), and of course French Champagne (Perrier (white & pink), or Bollinger Vintage for me please).

For evening dinner a combination of Aussie grass fed steaks and fresh seafood BBQ'ed (repeat the salads). 

Hmmm .... I'm hungry already and its weeks away till family descends !

Give me your adress..... I'll be there,????????????

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Its been a while since We have had Turkey at Xmas, they are just too big, 

you have Xmas dinner, then your eating it for next 2 weeks , sandwiches,

with chips , in white sauce , curry,  stir fry ,it never ends.

regards worgeordie

It depends on how many people you are.

We will be about 30 people for a Christmas buffet this Christmas, so I don't expect much turkey to be left over, even though there will be several other dishes to choose from.

It has become a tradition that I serve up turkey and other good stuff for a Christmas family buffet and I always used to use uncooked butterball turkeys. Then a few years ago uncooked turkeys were banned, but one year I managed to get hold of one.

As the family insist on turkey, we tried the pre-cooked butterball turkeys a couple of times. If you follow the instructions carefully they are ok. I covered the turkey with bacon and aluminum foil for the first hour to keep the moisture in.

This year Tops had a promotion on Australian pre-cooked turkeys and we decided to give it try and ordered one.  

Thai turkeys are a complete waste of money as they are nothing but skin and bones.

All in all pre-cooked turkeys  can be used but they are not quite the same as uncooked.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, arick said:

I doubt even if there from the states looks like a Thai Turkey Company.  Your better off have new Zealand lamb or Sirlion roast. 

I will vote for the NZ lamb but never seen any steak, beef etc from NZ only from Aus which I buy