'Do your own research / I do my own research' has become code for conspiracy theory followers

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Reality? There cannot be reality without absolute truths. And the absolute truth is you're trolling now so I suggest you head back to your chosen bridge and take a nap.

I'm no moderator, I think we should all try to be kind to each other, regardless of opinions.

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Only if you recruit followers to your belief.

Or alternatively, understand wavelengths/frequencies and how the brain interprets it. Just like our vision is also upside down. The brain a marvellous deceiver 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I use the above fact check sites, bounce that against the others sites I use, and come up with the truth.  I've not found these 2 sites to be off in their analysis.

What about to check rather with own common sense?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Khabib said:

Thats harsh.

Harsh times call for harsh measures. Nobody will of course get jabbed without their consent unless we get a variant that's significantly more deadly and contagious.

And even then Darwin's principles will sort things out eventually. To be honest I don't believe anti-vaxxers at this point should be forcefully jabbed but I'm all for making getting vaccinated mandatory if you want to live a semi-normal life. Fine, don't get the vaccines but don't expect to be able to go to work, restos, shops etc., and I would also bar the from ICUs if they came down with Covid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

One man's rational being is another man's nutjob.

In reality there are very few absolute truths.

OMG.  Ya gotta be kidding me.  Unreal.  There are many absolute truths. Many.  But not for those who don't believe in science.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Harsh times call for harsh measures. Nobody will of course get jabbed without their consent unless we get a variant that's significantly more deadly and contagious.

And even then Darwin's principles will sort things out eventually. To be honest I don't believe anti-vaxxers at this point should be forcefully jabbed but I'm all for making getting vaccinated mandatory if you want to live a semi-normal life. Fine, don't get the vaccines but don't expect to be able to go to work, restos, shops etc., and I would also bar the from ICUs if they came down with Covid.

I continue to cross my fingers that darwins principles stand true of covid. Everything likes to survive, and killing the host isn't a great method of survival from a virus point of view. I'm hoping omicron is the light at the end of the tunnel. But as you previously pointed out, we just don't know yet. Or maybe it was someone else - can't remember.

Edited by Khabib
Additional
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Khabib said:

Thats right, because they haven't got any 555

Years ago we had a member here who was constantly putting up conspiracy theories.  We'd prove him wrong, he'd be suspended for a bit, and come back with the same nonsense.  I started a PM exchange with him on one of his "theories".  Finally, he admitted it was just a conspiracy theory.  But ended his comments with "but it could be true". LOL.  Shows you how their minds work.  Somethings not clicking properly.

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Because "common sense" is highly subjective it's not a trustworthy tool.

Just to look few years back on some important events (often leading to a war) when an opinion different to the official one was labelled as a "conspiracy theory", sometimes immediately censored.

What's the truth after years?

2 minutes ago, Marcomilton7 said:

But it's totally OK for you to call people 'right wing extremists' - because they believe in the sovereignty of their own body and then you going running to teacher when the tide turns against you

Yes, it's OK to call them out.  The majority of us who are vaccinated are tired of these people.  They're responsible for this pandemic extending.  Spreading false information, and falling for it.  We're in this together.  What they do has a direct impact on my life.  I've got rights also.  The right to not have to worry some nutter is unvaccinated and potentially spreading the virus around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marcomilton7 said:

But it's totally OK for you to call people 'right wing extremists' - because they believe in the sovereignty of their own body and then you going running to teacher when the tide turns against you

One reason for assuming that anti vaxxers are right wing extremists is the high correlation between anti-vaxers and that demographic. Another is that most vaccines are actually mandatory anyway and nobody complains about them. "sovereignty of their own body" is an excuse for narcissism and doesn't explain the many anti-vaxers who admit they are vaccinated but opposed to vaccine mandates anyway. Kind of like Brian protesting his right to get pregnant in The Life of Brian. I think the association is mostly justifiable in the majority of cases. Obviously not all but the generalisation is valid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Years ago we had a member here who was constantly putting up conspiracy theories.  We'd prove him wrong, he'd be suspended for a bit, and come back with the same nonsense.  I started a PM exchange with him on one of his "theories".  Finally, he admitted it was just a conspiracy theory.  But ended his comments with "but it could be true". LOL.  Shows you how their minds work.  Somethings not clicking properly.

When it comes to conspiracy theories, I just get fed up with people who wish to sound like they know it all, when in fact it just debases what I think of them as people.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

One reason for assuming that anti vaxxers are right wing extremists is the high correlation between anti-vaxers and that demographic. Another is that most vaccines are actually mandatory anyway and nobody complains about them. "sovereignty of their own body" is an excuse for narcissism and doesn't explain the many anti-vaxers who admit they are vaccinated but opposed to vaccine mandates anyway. Kind of like Brian protesting his right to get pregnant in The Life of Brian. I think the association is mostly justifiable in the majority of cases. Obviously not all but the generalisation is valid.

In the UK the highest correlation of non-vaxxers is in the black community.

Covid vaccine: 72% of black people unlikely to have jab, UK survey finds

Are they right wing extremists? Surely not, that wouldn't fit your narrative.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/16/covid-vaccine-black-people-unlikely-covid-jab-uk

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1