'Do your own research / I do my own research' has become code for conspiracy theory followers

Jingthing

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I totally agree, and have been doing the same myself.

If only I could order beer and spirits online, I'd never need to leave my home.

My wife does a great job in that function, amongst others 555

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khabib said:

Be that as it may, the science also suggests that the symptoms are much milder, at least so far. My fingers and even my toes remain crossed. I want normal life as we know it back.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But they're also suggesting it's more infections.  Which means more cases, more hospitalizations, more deaths.

4 minutes ago, Khabib said:

What, if I happily stay at home. If I was concerned I'd put my family at risk, then sure. If there is a risk, it's all on my head. Mind you, should something untoward happen to me, they will surely hurt. So my priorities are at home. Essentially, I'm self isolating out of choice. Not out of fear or responsibility to others, just my life is perfectly good this way. Nothing much is open where I live worth going out for. Think I'll just drink myself to death. Much easier solution to this current <deleted> world we're living in.

You can't stay at home.  Impossible.  Just vaccinate and go about your life.

2 minutes ago, Khabib said:

But I can, and I do. If I put a picture of my home on here, you would surely understand. But I refrain from that.

You'd really want to do that?  I understand Britmantoo, he seems to be quite old, so staying at home in a nice place isn't too bad.  But even when older, I can't imagine sitting in my house for the rest of my life.  Too much to do and see.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

You'd really want to do that?  I understand Britmantoo, he seems to be quite old, so staying at home in a nice place isn't too bad.  But even when older, I can't imagine sitting in my house for the rest of my life.  Too much to do and see.

Very true. I'm simply biding my time, and waiting for better days when this nightmare becomes just a bad memory.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:
1 hour ago, Khabib said:

I really wish there wasn't so much vitriol on the forum. In the end, we are all entitled to our own opinion. For better or for worse.

When people post conspiracy garbage that goes against all the science...

Isn't it strange that many scientists - who surely know something about the matter - are demonized/cenzorized once they dare to say something different than the politicians talking the science? 

Should we now assume that many renowned scientists have turned to be conspirators, perhaps even terrorists?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Isn't it strange that many scientists - who surely know something about the matter - are demonized/cenzorized once they dare to say something different than the politicians talking the science? 

Should we now assume that many renowned scientists have turned to be conspirators, perhaps even terrorists?

You posit an interesting question. One I'm not able to answer personally I'm afraid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Although I would add, it seems the political class are lapping up the scientists position in providing an excuse for more and more control.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Khabib said:

Although I would add, it seems the political class are lapping up the scientists position in providing an excuse for more and more control.

I think it depnds a lot on the country in question.

In the UK...

1. Johnson (the Prime Minister) initially went for "herd immunity" also known as "let it rip" 22 months ago. He went to the Cheltenham horse race meeting which hosts 10s of thousands over a few days. He shook a lot of hands. He got sick with covid, put into ICU, was unsconscious and reputed to nearly have died.

2. When he came out the mantra changed to "follow the science" - ie lockdown, the UK was one of the last to lockdown and had the 3rd highest covid mortality rate in the world as a consequence.

3. The mantra was changed to "save the NHS" (by acquiescing to longer lockdowns). At the same time Johnson was reputed privately to have said "let the bodies pile high". This new mantra was driven by the recognition that the collapse of the NHS would create huge civil unrest and Johnson would ne kicked out as a result, rather than any noble motivation. (NHS workers received a derisory pay increase this year, despite Johnson & Co initiating a "clap for the NHS" every Friday I think it was.)

4. The vaccine rollout was a success domestically, but received a lot of flak from the EU about vaccine contracts.

5. Complacency following the vaccine rollout has started a new surge.

At least he never proposed bleach.

I really do understand the anguish that US progressives feel, I just wish they'd calm down a bit, some of them sound like the Spanish Inquisition to me (Monty Python - "Oh no not the Spanish Inquisition").

Edited by blackprince

4 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I think it depnds a lot on the country in question.

In the UK...

1. Johnson (the Prime Minister) initially went for "herd immunity" also known as "let it rip" 18 months ago. He went to the Cheltenham horse race meeting which hosts 10s of thousands over a few days. He shook a lot of hands. He got sick with covid, put into ICU, was unsconscious and reputed to nearly have died.

2. When he came out the mantra changed to "follow the science" - ie lockdown, the UK was one of the last to lockdown and had the 3rd highest covid mortality rate in the world as a consequence.

3. The mantra was changed to "save the NHS" (by acquiescing to longer lockdowns). At the same time Johnson was reputed privately to have said "let the bodies pile high". This new mantra was driven by the recognition that the collapse of the NHS would create huge civil unrest and Johnson would ne kicked out as a result, rather than any noble motivation. (NHS workers received a derisory pay increase this year, despite Johnson & Co initiating a "clap for the NHS" every Friday I think it was.)

4. The vaccine rollout was a success domestically, but received a lot of flak from the EU about vaccine contracts.

5. Complacency following the vaccine rollout has started a new surge.

At least he never proposed bleach.

I really do understand the anguish that US progressives feel, I just wish they'd calm down a bit, some of them sound like the Spanish Inquisition to me (Monty Python - "Oh no not the Spanish Inquisition").

Oh no, not the comfy chair 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Masterton said:

The meaning of the term "conspiracy theory" has devolved to mean anything that contradicts or questions the official left wing media narrative. Unfortunately most of the media, education system, and entertainment industry have all been hijacked by this movement so most people are conditioned or brainwashed to accept whatever nonsense is force fed to them, including, it would seem, most of the posters in this thread. Funny how the usual suspects repeat and propagate the left wing authoritarian narratives and quote the NYT or Guardian as their source, completely oblivious of the irony. Then predictably follow the obligatory sarcasms directed at Trump, Fox News, Q Anon etc as if that strengthens your case. All whilst advocating for fake fact checkers and censorship of opposing views. Guess you still believe Trump colluded with the Russians? Lol. 

I really don't understand what conspiracy theories have to do with left or right wing beliefs. Please excuse my ignorance.

3 minutes ago, Masterton said:

The meaning of the term "conspiracy theory" has devolved to mean anything that contradicts or questions the official left wing media narrative. Unfortunately most of the media, education system, and entertainment industry have all been hijacked by this movement so most people are conditioned or brainwashed to accept whatever nonsense is force fed to them, including, it would seem, most of the posters in this thread. Funny how the usual suspects repeat and propagate the left wing authoritarian narratives and quote the NYT or Guardian as their source, completely oblivious of the irony. Then predictably follow the obligatory sarcasms directed at Trump, Fox News, Q Anon etc as if that strengthens your case. All whilst advocating for fake fact checkers and censorship of opposing views. Guess you still believe Trump colluded with the Russians? Lol. 

He just liked golden showers with Russian ladies. And I suspect Putin has the video. It's a must see 555

54 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If you're talking about e.g. Dr Fauci then he was and is demonized by the orange clown as well as the nutter right. It would help if you brought up examples to make your point (which I'm not sure I get since you're rather vague and sometimes compare apples to oranges).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

If you're talking about e.g. Dr Fauci then he was and is demonized by the orange clown as well as the nutter right. It would help if you brought up examples to make your point (which I'm not sure I get since you're rather vague and sometimes compare apples to oranges).

The orange man was orange for a reason. But I shouldn't spout conspiracy theories or people might think I'm taking the p1ss. Its all very stinky imo.

7 minutes ago, Khabib said:

I really don't understand what conspiracy theories have to do with left or right wing beliefs. Please excuse my ignorance.

Look it is really not that difficult. As mentioned earlier, the narrative is controlled by the left due to their control of the media, entertainment and education. Therefore any so-called "conspiracy theories" are usually stories by real journalists that contradict the left's narrative. Conspiracy theories are also dished out constantly by the left (which they pretend is journalism) however opposing evidence is either covered up, not reported, or written off as (you guessed it) a "conspiracy theory". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Masterton said:

Look it is really not that difficult. As mentioned earlier, the narrative is controlled by the left due to their control of the media, entertainment and education. Therefore any so-called "conspiracy theories" are usually stories by real journalists that contradict the left's narrative. Conspiracy theories are also dished out constantly by the left (which they pretend is journalism) however opposing evidence is either covered up, not reported, or written off as (you guessed it) a "conspiracy theory". 

You're a far smarter man than me. I don't subscribe to anything which makes no sense. But please, no offence to you.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know if Bill Gates is the devil or not, but he certainly appears (to me) to be a force for evil in the world.

Not so much for Britmantoo (for obvious reasons), but for anyone who is actually curious about Bill Gates, you can learn about him directly from his interesting and informative podcast:

"Bill Gates and Rashida Jones ask Big Questions"

Entertaining and informative.

Edited by cdemundo
text size
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Khabib said:

But if we look on the bright side of life, GBP is on it's way up in the present moment.

Sadly GBP dropped out of my reserve currency 25 years ago ????

Not that I've all the subsequent time here in Thailand.

Anyway I'm glad to hear that you're in Thailand and you're happy. From what I can make out that's a minority of posters.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

Not so much for Britmantoo (for obvious reasons), but for anyone who is actually curious about Bill Gates you can learn about him directly from his interesting podcast:

"Bill Gates and Rashida Jones Ask Big Questions"

Entertaining and informative.

Does a big font make the message more important. Please don't do that, because you will expose yourself to a shouting personality.

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Most scientists aren't all that good at the job.

The world usually has 6-12 really innovative and original scientists, all the rest are hacks barely earning the pittance they are paid. Problem with science is it doesn't pay well, so the really intelligent (like me) work in fairly worthless (but high paying) professions like finance, law and the media.

Just to put it in perspective, a rural Brit GP earns about twice as much as a 'top' scientist.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Sadly GBP dropped out of my reserve currency 25 years ago ????

Not that I've all the subsequent time here in Thailand.

Anyway I'm glad to hear that you're in Thailand and you're happy. From what I can make out that's a minority of posters.

19 years and going strong, with minimal visits to the uk beyond my family responsibilities. I'm happy for you too. Great stuff

• Like 1