'Do your own research / I do my own research' has become code for conspiracy theory followers

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Khabib said:

We are all human, vulnerable, and susceptible to misinformation. Mostly, I have no interest in whatever any truth is, if it's unlikely to change the course of my life. It just seems more peaceful that way.

The reason I spend so much of my time attempting to counter anti-vaxers is that I'm acutely aware their toxic lies can affect me personally. The sooner everyone get vaccinated the sooner i get back to Thailand in safety and a normal life before I get too old to enjoy it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The reason I spend so much of my time attempting to counter anti-vaxers is that I'm acutely aware their toxic lies can affect me personally. The sooner everyone get vaccinated the sooner i get back to Thailand in safety and a normal life before I get too old to enjoy it.

I try to avoid difference of opinion ref the vaccine. Of course, I wish you well to get back here safely asap

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Twitter and to a lesser extent Facebook have been forced to censor because the lies were so egregious. Was that not a good thing? Would censorship if racist propaganda before and during WW2 have helped? Do lies deserve equal time with the truth? If the lies are malevolent should they be quelled? Should libel be censored?

One man's lie is another man's truth.

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

One man's lie is another man's truth.

Wouldn't that suggest that there's no such thing as a lie or that lies can't be exposed as such despite a preponderance of evidence. If that were true nobody would ever be convicted of a crime.

If the vaccine, and masking and social distancing work, and protect you from COVID, how can the anti-vaxxers harm you?

Surely what they do or say is irrelevant to your protected life?

I'm old and therefore still vulnerable to infection. The more who get vaccinated the less chance I have of being infected. Provably so.

If the vaccine, and masking and social distancing work, and protect you from COVID, how can the anti-vaxxers harm you?

If, by now, that is a question you have to ask then nothing anyone can say would change your mind.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Wouldn't that suggest that there's no such thing as a lie or that lies can't be exposed as such despite a preponderance of evidence. If that were true nobody would ever be convicted of a crime.

If I want to think the world is flat or God is real ......... it doesn't matter if it's true, or a lie, or misinformation.

It doesn't affect your life.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Stop trolling.

• Sad 1

If I want to think the world is flat or God is real ......... it doesn't matter if it's true, or a lie, or misinformation.

Unless God strikes me down with lightning or I fall off the edge then those things can't affect me. Covid definitely can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Yes it does.  As proven by anti vaxxers, responsible for extending this pandemic, who've fallen for the lies and misinformation. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Social distancing and staying home alone stops you being infected.

Stop trying to make everyone else responsible for your health, or go back and live in your nanny state.

That's a bit unfair, he has described himself as vulnerable.

• Like 1