Thoughts on non-O retirement via agent...

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are two categories of people, one richer and one poorer.

For the richer ones, putting 800k isn't a problem but for the poorer ones, having a marriage visa is more suitable.

Never understood the logic- single needs 800k but married only 400k to live on ????

1 minute ago, clivebaxter said:

Never understood the logic- single needs 800k but married only 400k to live on ????

Agree. 

The argument goes along lines that two people can bring in 2 incomes as married farang can work.

It's a bs argument. If a farang was retired he would actually need less funds to live off being single than if had Thai partner.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The argument goes along lines that two people can bring in 2 incomes as married farang can work.

It's a bs argument. If a farang was retired he would actually need less funds to live off being single than if had Thai partner.

Not everybody on a extension based upon retirement are single. Many are married and their wife is here on a extension based upon being a member of their family and there are some that have children staying here as well on that type of  extension (20 or under).

A Thai wife can have a  income from working or have a business to help support the family.

They also assume a married couple could live on less income than a non Thai family could.

Many thanks for the replies. Marriage visa with 400k definitely looks the way to go.  In fact I already have more than the 400k in my Bangkok Bank account. Its been there for about two years. I have been unable to transfer it to my UK bank because BB won't allow it without me going into the branch to sign a form and check ID! And they won't post the form to the UK for me to sign and return.....

In regards to comments about not having 800k to deposit - well I certainly do. But with real inflation running at 4%+ my 800k would be losing purchasing power at the rate of 32k/year.  A few years of that and you're starting to lose serious money. I reckon I could get a 4% return on that 800k and at least minimise the impact of inflation.

In regard to 800k for medical emergencies, well I have a couple of credit cards and my wife has 5mil+ in her accounts that she would (hopefully?) dip into to help me out...

With marriage visa I need one month for immigration to process it and they will make a home visit. Correct?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

With marriage visa I need one month for immigration to process it and they will make a home visit. Correct?

You will have an under consideration period approx one month for final stamp.

You may receive a home visit during that period.

No need for the opportunity cost analysis. Most are aware of that.

Either the non O marriage extensions with reentry permit or using an agent for retirement extensions is your most obvious choice. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree. 

I'm retired living with gf, and as single I spend more money, than together. 

Rerirement visa is however quite easy and simple to get, and even easier to renew. 

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Which agent do you use? ????

My gf! All included comes with the visa agency "You take care of me, I take care of you"

They have many offices in every tourist city and destination! Opening hours best after dark.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

I guess this is to discourage single retirees whereas those people who are married to Thai people are more welcomed.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:15 AM, DrJack54 said:

I agree that most use agent because they cannot meet the financials, however there are many that use an agent for other reasons.

This is my experience also wrt the expats who I know, who use an agent, to obtain an extension on their permission to stay.

I know one expat who does not have the 800K immediately available in the bank in Thailand, and so he successfully used an agent to get his 1-year permission to stay extension. 

I know two others (both in their mid-70s) who DO have the 800K and much more in the bank in Thailand, but the idea of them researching to ensure they have all the paperwork, and then have to physically go to immigration and possibly wait, is not something they want to do. They would rather pay an agent to tell them what they need to provide (to the agent), have the agent come to their residence in Thailand, pick-up their paperwork/passport and have the agent go to the immigration office for them, and have the agent bring back the approved extension in their passport.

I'm too cheap to do that myself (ie I would rather go to immigration myself and provide all the required documents) but some see an agent as being worth the hassle. I guess it all depends on the individual, and on one's individual financial situation.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

After you put the money in the bank you need to do one more extension with the agent.  You are free and clear of the agent when you do the next one as you only show the statement for the previous year when you had the funds in the bank.

1 minute ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Seems this subject is always about using the agent in lieu of not using the 800k, and rarely about those of us who are happy using the 800k but who would also like to use the agent for convenience.

But the price always seems the same! Or am I misremembering?

There are two types of agents/agencies out there 

The one that everyone talks about is the ones that bank the money for you and (usually) sends your passport to another province to get the visa/extension.

Then there are ones which are more like "shepherds" or "hand holders".  They compile your paperwork, check documents, fill out the forms, make the appropriate copies, get your signature where it's supposed to be, usually make an online appointment for you (OR depending on the fee they charge just jump the queue out there). Meet or take you out there and guide you thru the process 

I don't know why but the second group (who I call the 'shepherds' or 'hand holders') are much harder to find.. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Seems this subject is always about using the agent in lieu of not using the 800k, and rarely about those of us who are happy using the 800k but who would also like to use the agent for convenience.

About 8k less approx.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Recently people were saying they paid 5,000 baht (incl 1,900) for service only, 12,500 baht for financials and service

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, Lemsta69 said:

lol why would I want to lose money by keeping 800k in a Thai bank account getting zero interest when I can get at least 10% pa by investing it wisely? that's just plain silly

Define silly. 10% pa of 800k is the price of peace of mind, and to some of us it's not a big price. Now if you start considering that 0% is actually not true, that your 10% will be taxed in general, that if you want to live continuously here by other kinds of visas you will need travels in/out and repeated visits to immigration, the price difference will start to look even smaller. To each their own, I am sure you have options that suit you better, no need to call everybody else stupid we simply have other priorities.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:07 PM, clivebaxter said:

Same logic of why someone living in an Isaan village in their own home needs the same funds as someone living in Bangkok in a rented property.

30 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Define silly. 10% pa of 800k is the price of peace of mind, and to some of us it's not a big price. Now if you start considering that 0% is actually not true, that your 10% will be taxed in general, that if you want to live continuously here by other kinds of visas you will need travels in/out and repeated visits to immigration, the price difference will start to look even smaller. To each their own, I am sure you have options that suit you better, no need to call everybody else stupid we simply have other priorities.

Move importantly how's @Lemsta69 10%+ pa going?