Siam comercial bank , best branch to open

oMega69

I have an account with the big SCB near the intersection of 2nd Road and Pattaya Klang and happy with them, they know the falang requirements when it comes to immigration & a fair number of them speak enough English to get the job done. Note, I opened this account over 5 years ago so not sure of the ease of opening an account now but when I opened my account I don't remember it being difficult.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9373465,100.8867441,3a,75y,99.11h,100.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siYP2doUpa-fOtjEWI1J9nw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

4 hours ago, bbko said:

I have an account with the big SCB near the intersection of 2nd Road and Pattaya Klang and happy with them, they know the falang requirements when it comes to immigration & a fair number of them speak enough English to get the job done. Note, I opened this account over 5 years ago so not sure of the ease of opening an account now but when I opened my account I don't remember it being difficult.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9373465,100.8867441,3a,75y,99.11h,100.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siYP2doUpa-fOtjEWI1J9nw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Nice will check them out.

I would open at Central as that means you can access the bank 7 days a week & they stay open later.

If you have bills to pay at other banks then it's a matter of walking a few yards as most banks are represented there.

High St banks seem to be old school Mon-Fri & close at 3ish

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oMega69 said:

Yes I've had several accounts here over the years -always straight forward to deal with and have the aura of a 'head office'

It's important to note that you have to view many small branches as 'franchises' often very parochial in their outlook and often focused on hawking puerile insurances and chasing other customer alienating targets - whereas the big branches like this one are more 'straight from the horses mouth' and do 'exactly what it says on the tin' :smile:

The drive in internal car parking is a big plus too

And all the extended opening 'mall' branches are available for use as an account holder anyhoo

image.png.de206eb6d7cf48b8d4d2262a20f2a48b.png

4 hours ago, Polaky said:

Walked in to the one near walking street a couple of weeks ago, they were not interested in anything except a work permit, no work permit no account.

got the same msg at SCB @ Central World BKK

12 hours ago, Polaky said:

Walked in to the one near walking street a couple of weeks ago, they were not interested in anything except a work permit, no work permit no account.

As with many other banks they can not get their head around " I am RETIRED "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, oMega69 said:

Note that banks are like Immigration Offices, they make up their own rules and can change very quickly, it just takes a change of boss. I know from personal experience, especially where banks are concerned.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, SidJames said:

I would open at Central as that means you can access the bank 7 days a week & they stay open later.

If you have bills to pay at other banks then it's a matter of walking a few yards as most banks are represented there.

High St banks seem to be old school Mon-Fri & close at 3ish

I thought we can do transactions at every branch and not just the bank that we opened our account?

What about closing our account in the future?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I thought we can do transactions at every branch and not just the bank that we opened our account?

You can use any branch in most instances.

I don't think that Thai banks "do" account closing, get the balance to zero and just don't use it.  After the bank cannot get the annual payment for the ATM card and the account is unused let them do what they want with it, i.e. add it to their dormant list, it's no skin off your nose.

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

When I did international transfers SCB in Udon Thani always said " must use your home branch" which is the SCB just before walking street on beach road in Pattaya.

What they don't clarify is that yes you can do international transfers or any banking at any branch but a small fee is then levied.

I explained that it's cheaper to pay the fee rather than go to Pattaya to save a surcharge of several hundred baht.

Blank looks and big smiles from the staff.

But the transfers got done.

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is "puerile" [sic] about insurance policies?   They're not trivial, or childish, some people find them specifically useful.

For example the policies foisted on the unwitting myopics opening accounts (to fulfil branch sales targets) fully deserve the epithet

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, some of the parochial branches might not have a manger onsite to oversee certain transactions.

The main problem is that bank rules change from year to year so some banks let newbies open account this year but won't next year & vica verca with some other banks saying opposite.

There is no consistency on how the industry is run.

You can go to one branch here to open an account or do an unusal transfer but get refused then go up the road to another branch of the same bank & have no problem.

The one thing I will say is that it's mostly female staff & they do try their best & very polite even when they can't help you.

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is "puerile" [sic] about insurance policies?   They're not trivial, or childish, some people find them specifically useful.

As the saying goes, I don't try and draw out money at an insurance brokers either...... but I have heard some who have taken up accident insurance policies from banks who felt they were good policies. Medical insurance is more complicated and I would look to a good broker's input. I don't like the policy some banks seem to present of obliging you to buy insurance to open a new account. 

As to using a Mall Branch rather than a Main Branch, well the main time I need office services, when I do Visa stuff, I like to get an early start, (get bank letter and off to Immigration), and Mall Branches open too late.....

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

For me, I can do normal transactions at any SCB branch here in Pattaya, but in the past I only went to my home branch to get the same-day immigration letter, I'm not sure if the letter has to be from the home branch, but that's where I always went, and those banks in the mall open too late for me, I prefer to get the immigration letter as soon as possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As the saying goes, I don't try and draw out money at an insurance brokers either...... but I have heard some who have taken up accident insurance policies from banks who felt they were good policies. Medical insurance is more complicated and I would look to a good broker's input. I don't like the policy some banks seem to present of obliging you to buy insurance to open a new account. 

As to using a Mall Branch rather than a Main Branch, well the main time I need office services, when I do Visa stuff, I like to get an early start, (get bank letter and off to Immigration), and Mall Branches open too late.....

What's any of that got to do with my question to the poster who said insurance was "puerile"?

13 hours ago, Regyai said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For example the policies foisted on the unwitting myopics opening accounts (to fulfil branch sales targets) fully deserve the epithet

So insurance is not "puerile" [sic], then.  Think you may need to look up the meaning of the word. 

Rather you need to grasp the context of what I said

Insurance of course can well be useful and fit for purpose and in general terms it is.

Whereas the packaged nonsense peddled at 'shop front' franchise type bank branches offers little in actual value, and is in real terms little more than a joke.

If it wasn't then it wouldn't need the metaphorical headlock (we'll do that only if you buy this p.o.s.) as the only means to extort a sale.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

I highly doubt op will be able to open SCB account with ED visa. An update would be nice.

They hard was at 2 branches with ED they want Student ID card / University school . . .
But have a branch meeting when they did accept just a letter from School . . so i hope that will solve it.

• Like 1

I have had an account with SCB for many years,   the branch  on Beach rd  just before the entrance to Walking st   .. of all the branches in Pattaya this one for me has to most English speaking staff  and the least queues, no matter the time of day ...

On 12/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Grusa said:

SCB Jomtien Beach Road. Rarely too busy, and reasonably efficient. Handy for immi.

I use this branch as well.  Opening an account with a "Retirement Extension" was no problem.  Rarely more than a 15 minute wait.

I do think the suggestion to open the account at a mall branch makes a lot of sense.  Wish I'd thought of that.