Thailand moves closer to digital age - stops use of Thai ID and House Registration photocopies

webfact

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wonder how long this takes to roll down to foreigners living here, or if it ever will, and who have to continually show and make copies of the passport for routine transactions at the bank.  Would be nice one day to just have to show your passport at the time of extension without all of the additional paperwork, except of course showing the financials, as everything is already in the system.

Should've been the works 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheScience said:

We do it this way - because we do it this way

We do it this way because my father and his father and his father before him etc always did it this way for the last 1 or 2 hundred years. If it was good enough for them, then it is good enough for us.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

The last time I renewed it about 5 years ago they didn't need the letter, just the old licence and my passport and I took my yellow house book in as well.

It seems that if I insist on just using my yellow book I will only get a 2 year licence, but if I use my passport and the letter from Immigration I will get a 5 year licence.

My bank account is a joint one with my wife with either of us to sign. We each have a debit card and either of us can pay in or take out money.

However, every year when I ask for a 12 month bank statement I have to show my passport and a signed copy of my wife's ID card. My wife is not needed, only a copy of her ID card.

As you say.....Crazy Country !

This doesn't always happen. I've deposited 100k with no id and withdrawn 100k with only a Thai license.

Was updating my bank book today and requesting a letter of balance for my visa extension. The woman wanted to see my passport for a deposit of .... 100 baht. No joke. Bangkok Bank, large branch.

Later, a got my paper letter ????

• Like 1

Thailand is not as backwards as lots of farangs make it out to be - to wit, a few days ago I got my DL renewed - on the stairs down to the exit of the building I checked my digital DL on my phone, and the updated version was already uploaded. Now that is impressive - go Thailand!

8 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Thailand is not as backwards as lots of farangs make it out to be - to wit, a few days ago I got my DL renewed - on the stairs down to the exit of the building I checked my digital DL on my phone, and the updated version was already uploaded. Now that is impressive - go Thailand!

Yes. In some fields is good. Also if you need a Thai passport. In 3 days the passport is ready.

Good. Unfortunately, these are exceptions and not the rule when it comes to admimastrive processes. They are then rather tedious and unnecessarily complicated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pvdb64 said:

it sounds promising but as with many digital things in Thailand .. many times the left hand doesn't know or accept what the right hand does.. 
top quote some 
1) for instance a digital work permit is not accept to renew your driving licence ( old blue book yes). 2) many banks have an issue with digital copies too

I found the digital work permit to be a nuisance - nobody seemed to know what it was.  Several times I've had to email a screen shot so it could be printed.

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's difficult to make a signature with a rubber-tip pen on a tiny screen that looks like a real old-fashioned signature made by an ink-pen on paper

I just put an X on the screen. Nobody gives a fhvck.

SCB's attempt

I stopped banking with SCB and switched to KrungSri. SCB are incredibly antiquated, even by Thai standards. This is in addition to all the silly accounting restrictions they place on foreigner accounts that just don't exist elsewhere. SCB are crgp IMHO.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

No chance of happening, they love paperwork, it's never ending.

Recent marraige extension i'm estimating 30 pages x 2 copies.

Insane!

It's the same with retirement renewal, the amount of insane paperwork - passport, 12 months bank statements, 90 days report, TM30, bank books, bank letters etc.

I even gave them the original copy of 90 days but they only want a photocopy which is crazy.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, TheScience said:

This doesn't always happen. I've deposited 100k with no id and withdrawn 100k with only a Thai license.

Was updating my bank book today and requesting a letter of balance for my visa extension. The woman wanted to see my passport for a deposit of .... 100 baht. No joke. Bangkok Bank, large branch.

Later, a got my paper letter ????

Bangkok Bank staff sometimes work like robots with no critical thinking.

Many times I show my driving licence but they won't accept it. Then I showed a photocopy of my passport but they still want the original passport for a withdrawal of 2000 baht.

Wouldn't an official driving licence from Thai government be a better document than a foreign passport which can be forged?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

It remains to be seen if endless photocopying of documents for foreigners doing business or complying with immigration matters in Thailand follows, notes ASEAN NOW.

Never gonna happen.

Put a stop to the endless photocopying and how will immigration officers feel important?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many times I show my driving licence but they won't accept it. Then I showed a photocopy of my passport but they still want the original passport for a withdrawal of 2000 baht.

You do make it complicated..... I just go to the ATM with my card... I can even skip the card and do a cardless withdrawal. 

• Haha 2

Khon Kaen Immigration has gone back to using old copies of passports for notifying next 90 day report.
This happened last year too but stopped for some months.
One time I had a full copy of an Americans main passport page.
I always strike thru copies of my passport page at Immigration.

8 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I just put an X on the screen. Nobody gives a fhvck.

I stopped banking with SCB and switched to KrungSri. SCB are incredibly antiquated, even by Thai standards. This is in addition to all the silly accounting restrictions they place on foreigner accounts that just don't exist elsewhere. SCB are crgp IMHO.

I've had great service for years with SCB and do ALL my banking with them. Their grasp of the digital age works well. All my bills are paid through them from my phone - my rent, all Lazada purchases, all the way down to my 150 baht/month water bill.

Edited by HappyExpat57
punctuation

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Where did you obtain a digital driver's license? I thought they never put the program forward as of yet

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Not to forget the annual family photos. One in the bedroom, one in the living room, one in the dining room and one from the house with house number, DIN A4 upright, signed and everything in duplicate. You have to plan carefully when the children study in other cities. They all have to travel for the photo session and come together.

Practiced idiocy.

Trat require SIX photos for marriage, witness present at application and at home visit. Four photos, for retirement. Home visits for both. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've had great service for years with SCB and do ALL my banking with them. Their grasp of the digital age works well. All my bills are paid through them from my phone - my rent, all Lazada purchases, all the way down to my 150 baht/month water bill.

SCB was never on Par with K-Bank as far as their app goes. Nice to see in your case it works. Never did for me. Could never get logged in from the US when I traveled back.