Large centipede

sandyf

4 minutes ago, sezze said:

Yes and your question is ?

They are very common in Thailand and yes they are the ones to avoid by all means . Their bite/sting is very painful . They are called centipedes , check internet plenty of source .

Yes, can testify to that .. got bitten on the ankle once. 

• Like 1

Avoid those things & the bites which apart from being extremely painful can get infected very badly.

If a small child is bitten then I would recommend bringing them in for treatment immediately, I think they give an anti-histimine shot for this but I'm no expert.

It one of the things Thais or even the Issan lot won't eat.

I'm also surprised that they don't eat pigeons but they will eat rat although that would the country cousin rat rather than the city sewer rat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, patekatek said:

Here are a couple photos of one of the larger centipedes found around my home in Kaeng Krachan.  It took awhile but I was able to tame this one.  Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.  It had actually drowned in my pool.

I was bitten on the thumb ( I had thick leather gloves on at the time) by one about 1/2 the size of the one on my arm.  Took about one hour for the pain to go away.  However, my thumb felt bruised for a couple days after the bite.

Stay safe!

centipede on arm.JPG

centipede head and fangs.JPG

Wow! Good size specimen! But funny how they drown quite easily but if you try to do it yourself they seem almost indestructible !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, patekatek said:

Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.  It had actually drowned in my pool.

Yeah I had that happen, I suspect my cat worried it into the pool. Had I seen it alive and crawling I might still be running.......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, patekatek said:

Here are a couple photos of one of the larger centipedes found around my home in Kaeng Krachan.  It took awhile but I was able to tame this one.  Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.  It had actually drowned in my pool.

I was bitten on the thumb ( I had thick leather gloves on at the time) by one about 1/2 the size of the one on my arm.  Took about one hour for the pain to go away.  However, my thumb felt bruised for a couple days after the bite.

Stay safe!

centipede on arm.JPG

That sandwash flooring could do with a scrub & a blast of the jetspray

22 hours ago, sezze said:

.... You do find them everywhere . 

I found one in a folded mat, on the first floor, and others in the kitchen with all the windows or doors closed: may be they have entered through a crack that I did not find: but they did run away and are very easy to kill with a shoe

• Like 1

16 hours ago, patekatek said:

Stay safe!

centipede on arm.JPG

saw a TV program a couple of years ago - believe it was Okinawa or some other island in the Pacific and these locals go out hunting centipedes of up to 50centimeters and they BITE the head off of the centipede and then they sell them at the market or eat them.  Strange people - I totally agree with the sentiment of most here - I and my Thai family totally avoid them/or kill them if we have something handy available!

On 12/7/2021 at 9:11 AM, sezze said:

Yes and your question is ?

They are very common in Thailand and yes they are the ones to avoid by all means . Their bite/sting is very painful . They are called centipedes , check internet plenty of source .

Maybe elsewhere. I have lived here in the sticks for 13 years and first one I have seen, we get loads of the smaller varieties. My wife and her sister were surprised.

BTW, where do you think I got the link from.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Maybe elsewhere. I have lived here in the sticks for 13 years and first one I have seen, we get loads of the smaller varieties. My wife and her sister were surprised.

BTW, where do you think I got the link from.

Outside of Udon Thani , i got them in the garden . always have to be careful when lifting something there , since scorpions and centipedes hide there . Scorpions are funny and amazing , i do not hurt them . The centipedes are too fast to be funny but they are very regular and i have seen 20-30cm long in the garden .

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Ditto that. Snakes don't phase me in the slightest, but the centipedes scare the hell out of me. A few weeks ago one ran over my ankle, I was in bits for hours. I have nightmares about them running up my trouser leg and biting me on the balls.

I understand that . Yesterday we had a Red-necked Keelback snake around the back of the house. Venomous , sure but we and the cats left it alone , it went next door.  But centipedes bother me , hate the sight of them , millipedes are fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sezze said:

Outside of Udon Thani , i got them in the garden . always have to be careful when lifting something there , since scorpions and centipedes hide there . Scorpions are funny and amazing , i do not hurt them . The centipedes are too fast to be funny but they are very regular and i have seen 20-30cm long in the garden .

I am on the outskirts of Chonburi city and we get a lot of scorpions and centipedes, but the centipedes are dark coloured and only about 3 inches. More snakes than anything.

Maybe the climate, drier here than most parts of Thailand.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I am on the outskirts of Chonburi city and we get a lot of scorpions and centipedes, but the centipedes are dark coloured and only about 3 inches. More snakes than anything.

Maybe the climate, drier here than most parts of Thailand.

The dark colored which you find indeed closer to coastal areas are millipedes . Not dangerous at all . I "never" seen them in Udon , but plenty of in South Thailand ( near coast )  , where i indeed only see small centipedes and millipedes . Most be something climate related , since the food source of them do exist everywhere in Thailand : critters , toads , frogs , mice ...

I was at my compter desk in the house and felt something tickling my bare foot.  I thought it was a wire hanging down and shook my foot a couple of times but still felt the tickling.  I looked down and their was a large centipede sitting on top of my foot.  I shook it off real hard then.  I have no idea how I managed not to get stung by it.

• Sad 1

Be aware that if you are allergic to bee stings, the venom of scolopendra is similar in composition but the quantity injected is larger and can cause a far stronger reaction.

On this theme - On my last visit to the hospital suffering from an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting (I am highly allergic) they refused to administer an adrenaline  injection as I was over 65. After some persuasion they allowed me to administer the injection to myself as I pointed out it was that or a tracheotomy. 

The doctor advised me, as I was discharged, to avoid being bitten by a scolopendrium as I would not have long to get to a hospital!

• Sad 1

Yep they hurt like hell ... about the same ongoing pain levels as the big black and aggressive Sugar Plum bull-ant from the east coast of Oz ... and they really hurt like hell!!!

They can bite (as another posted) through gym shoes, leather gloves, and easily through clothing. Good thing is they are quite timid an,  usually just want to run away unless you grab them or something like that they aren't easily ready to stab you with those nasty pincers ... 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, patekatek said:

Stay safe!

centipede on arm.JPG

Dats a bigun!