Large centipede

sandyf

Woke up one night with a severe pain on my left arm. Got out of bed and started looking in my bed sheets for a scorpion (had happened before). 

Was surprised to find a fairly large centipede on my bed. So wherever you find them near your house make sure you kill them.

Or you can look at the bright side, the more you get bit by those creatures they less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis.

We've killed 3 large, fat centipedes, and one scorpion, inside the house in the last 8 or 9 days. 

(Also had a Burmese Python removed from our chicken house a couple of weeks ago!  One chook was consumed)

Edited by Old Croc

I've lived in Chiang Mai province for about 4 years now but never seen one of these big centipedes. I wonder if they don't like to stay up north too much because it can be a bit colder at times?

I did see small centipedes in our garden occasionally though, maybe 5 centimeter long. 

4 hours ago, rwill said:

I was at my compter desk in the house and felt something tickling my bare foot.  I thought it was a wire hanging down and shook my foot a couple of times but still felt the tickling.  I looked down and their was a large centipede sitting on top of my foot.  I shook it off real hard then.  I have no idea how I managed not to get stung by it.

I would have died on the spot!

4 hours ago, sezze said:

The dark colored which you find indeed closer to coastal areas are millipedes . Not dangerous at all .

I did mean a centipede, I do know the difference. Often get them in the bathroom, think they come up through the drain.

The millipedes we get are brown and a light grey, the grey ones are a bit smaller than the brown, can't ever remember seeing a dark coloured millipede.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, SidJames said:

Avoid those things & the bites which apart from being extremely painful can get infected very badly.

If a small child is bitten then I would recommend bringing them in for treatment immediately, I think they give an anti-histimine shot for this but I'm no expert.

It one of the things Thais or even the Issan lot won't eat.

I'm also surprised that they don't eat pigeons but they will eat rat although that would the country cousin rat rather than the city sewer rat.

Nowt Wrong with A RatORTouie.......

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaifish said:

What did the male centipede say when the female centipede walked past?

WOW. Nice set of legs, set of legs, set of legs, set of legs, set of legs....!!!!

What did the male centipede syay to the female ' Come on , come on '.  She replied ' Hang on I am just putting my shoes on '.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I did mean a centipede, I do know the difference. Often get them in the bathroom, think they come up through the drain.

The millipedes we get are brown and a light grey, the grey ones are a bit smaller than the brown, can't ever remember seeing a dark coloured millipede.

Here is a millipede.

IMGP1667.JPG

23 hours ago, Aforek said:

I found one in a folded mat, on the first floor, and others in the kitchen with all the windows or doors closed: may be they have entered through a crack that I did not find: but they did run away and are very easy to kill with a shoe

I used a broom whenever I saw one. Also for scorpions. Destroyed a few of those brooms beating them for 5 minutes just to be sure.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Ditto that. Snakes don't phase me in the slightest, but the centipedes scare the hell out of me. A few weeks ago one ran over my ankle, I was in bits for hours. I have nightmares about them running up my trouser leg and biting me on the balls.

Boy, can I relate. But you're already living there. My situation is more critical... I really want to relocate to Thailand for a retirement period next year, but the thought of these things is a big problem for me, a deterrent to some degree. I have to figure out how not to ever run into one of these in my own dwelling. I'll take my chances when out and about, but if I thought I could possibly get one of these (or a scorpion for that matter) in my bed or anywhere in my place, I couldn't live in Thailand. Or if it happened, it would probably make me want to leave the country, as pussy as that sounds. So I'm going to have to live in a condo on an upper floor I guess. They don't get in when you live on the seventh floor of some condo building, right? I assume that people getting centipedes, scorpions and snakes are living in ground-floor houses, close to all that wonderful nature.

It's really too bad, because I wanted to rent a house. But if there is any chance of being ambushed by these things in my bed or my shower, then I can't do it. I'll have to get something that's 80 feet above the ground.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, sezze said:

A bit more info is , that itis the animal im scared of the most in Thailand . They are extremely common . You do find them everywhere . If you have a garden , they are prob there somewhere , small cracks ondur stones is where they hide , just like scorpions . Scorpions are slow and cute , there are rapid and not cute at all . They do not run and attack it they can . They do run , but they are not scared to hit you 1st

Our Dog (Bang Kaew) one day was barking like mad and when we went and looked she was "fighting" one of these (a bit bigger size then the OP's picture). It (the centipede that is) didn't stand a chance!!

53 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Boy, can I relate. But you're already living there. My situation is more critical... I really want to relocate to Thailand for a retirement period next year, but the thought of these things is a big problem for me, a deterrent to some degree. I have to figure out how not to ever run into one of these in my own dwelling. I'll take my chances when out and about, but if I thought I could possibly get one of these (or a scorpion for that matter) in my bed or anywhere in my place, I couldn't live in Thailand. Or if it happened, it would probably make me want to leave the country, as pussy as that sounds. So I'm going to have to live in a condo on an upper floor I guess. They don't get in when you live on the seventh floor of some condo building, right? I assume that people getting centipedes, scorpions and snakes are living in ground-floor houses, close to all that wonderful nature.

It's really too bad, because I wanted to rent a house. But if there is any chance of being ambushed by these things in my bed or my shower, then I can't do it. I'll have to get something that's 80 feet above the ground.

Yeah , can relate 100%. Always lived here 10 Floors and higher. All these Years here never had a Critter. In my current Condo Floor 17 i not even have Insect Screens. I am also a great Lover of a beautiful panoramic View . So,you have fantastic Alternatives . No Worries 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:49 PM, jacko45k said:

Yeah I had that happen, I suspect my cat worried it into the pool. Had I seen it alive and crawling I might still be running.......

Yeah, they're the nasty here that I have most respect for, If you surprise one, it'll just go for you, quickly as well. I'll take one, sobar and armed with a stick, but not if I'm in the slightest bit drunk. Luckily, Chickens, cats and dogs keep them away mostly...

On 12/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, sandyf said:

Big dark coloured Millipedes in the woods all over Isaan. Harmless as far as I know, and very slow...

On 12/8/2021 at 10:05 AM, rwill said:

I was at my compter desk in the house and felt something tickling my bare foot.  I thought it was a wire hanging down and shook my foot a couple of times but still felt the tickling.  I looked down and their was a large centipede sitting on top of my foot.  I shook it off real hard then.  I have no idea how I managed not to get stung by it.

Recently similar occasion where a guest sitting at an outside table looked down to see a very large centipede perched passively on her thigh . Much screaming but with no bad outcome except for  centipede that ended  up very dead!

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Big dark coloured Millipedes in the woods all over Isaan. Harmless as far as I know, and very slow...

I always feel sorry for the millipedes because they seem  harmless and have  only the primitive  defence of curling up .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Biggest centipede I ever saw was in the grounds of Hua Hin's Railway Hotel. Just sayin' ????

A long as they can't/won't climb several stories, I guess I'm not too bothered. I know Thailand has lots of them, but I won't go around turning over rocks and looking for them (I would have done that as a kid no doubt though).

Edited by PadPrikKhing

11 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:
14 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I always feel sorry for the millipedes because they seem  harmless and have  only the primitive  defence of curling up .

Millipedes are vegetarian and don't need to kill their meal first.  They are totally safe to pick up and let crawl on you.  

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If the thought of a few nasty insects and snakes scare you the tropics is not the place to retire to.

Try Finland.

I am not that scared of them , they live in the garden , so very close , i can find 1 if i look for 1 within a few minutes probably . As long as they don't bother me , i don't bother them , since they very useful animals . Same for me goes with all others . In house then it is a different story , their space is outside , my space is inside .

I am not scared of scorpions or snakes , i do respect them , especially the snakes , even found a cobra ( as far as i could guess which type it was ) once in front of the house on the road at night , and i did see a few other types some very dangerous , some harmless around the house/in the village / ricefield ... . All these animals have a behavior which is logic , but less so with the centipede .

On 12/8/2021 at 11:21 AM, soumanioco said:

Woke up one night with a severe pain on my left arm. Got out of bed and started looking in my bed sheets for a scorpion (had happened before). 

Was surprised to find a fairly large centipede on my bed. So wherever you find them near your house make sure you kill them.

Or you can look at the bright side, the more you get bit by those creatures they less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis.

Is that actually true?