Bus driver who drank Thai spirits and longans found dead at wheel

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News made much of a bus driver who ingested a large amount of "lao khao and lamyai" (Thai spirits and longans) before being found dead in his vehicle.

Pol Capt Phichet Meephuphen of the Laem Chabang police in the Sriracha area of eastern Thailand was called after the lifeless body of 39 year old Suchin Leuangkaet from Kalasin was found in the bus's luggage compartment.

He was shirtless and face up and covered by a blanket. There was no foul play and it was assessed that he had been dead for four hours.

The bus was parked near a sugar mill and was used to transport workers.

His friend Sakhkarin Bunsaen, 40, said that the bus had been idle for three days and Suchin had been guarding the vehicle. 

He said that the previous night Suchin had consumed a large amount of lao khao and lamyai from 7 pm.

Officials thought that this mixture added to the cold weather might have caused his death.

A full autopsy has been ordered. 

ASEAN NOW notes that Thais often blame certain fruits in conjunction with alcohol for causing problems.

The chief culprit and subject of warnings is usually durian with Thais warning not to mix the two. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-07

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So what's the story with longans? they're the brown shell ones with white fruit i think. I know you aren't meant to eat too many a day, my max is 12...not sure why

Me think the issue was with way too much Lao Khao than consuming the fruits... had it been the other way around he'd still be alive today...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well it's a good job he was not at the wheel at the time , 

" was found in the bus's luggage compartment. " could

have been suffocation.

reards Worgeorde 

Plenty of ventilation in a luggage locker.

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just a thought... you been inside one ?

regards worgeordie

40 years continental coach jockey spent many an hour in the lockers, hot in the summer cold in the winter and noisy on the move, drivers sleeping compartment is an extension to a luggage locker and like the Ritz compared to sleeping or trying to sleep in the locker on the move.

Edited by Almer
Additional text

19 minutes ago, sharksy said:

I believe the fruit raises the body's temperature and is dangerous when consumed with alcohol to dangerous levels.

I have certainly felt unwell after a little too much durian but never thought lamyai too were an issue.

• Like 1