Problem registering car

Muckabout

I bought a car in February from an American man and his Thai wife here in Chiang Mai. 

I was exhausted from travel and quarantine when I made the purchase. 

1994 Toyota corolla. 

Ky Steven Laursen and Teresita Anasco sold me the car and were very nice and very meticulous in giving me a detailed receipt with Vin numbers and signatures and blue book. 

The registration and insurance were already paid for the year and they told me I should wait until it almost expires to change the car to my name. 

Unfortunately now that I'm ready to register the car in my name I find that the Blue Book is not in either of their names but is in some unknown Thai persons name who I am unable to contact.

Did they really sell me a car they didn't own? 

Calls to Ky Steven Laursen and his Thai wife Teresita Anasco have gone unanswered. The condo bldg said they are still registered at that address and that the phone number is correct yet all calls go to anonymous voicemail.

I also tried contacting them via line app no response. 

I contacted an auto dealer and he said he needs a copy of the registered owners ID and also signature in order to sell the car or put it in my name. 

Any advice? Anyone know these people? They said they were school teachers for many years in Chiang Mai.

Any help would be appreciated. 

1638862627659.jpg

Screenshot_20211206-191654.jpg

Edited by Muckabout

44 minutes ago, seedy said:

If you can not contact them, you should still be able to tax the car and buy the basic Gov't insurance yearly.

If the registered owner of the car comes-a-callin' - you have lost the car.

Could do,but id get a Thai to take in for  test

When I buy,I insist it goes in for test before money hand over

Edited by fredscats

2 hours ago, Muckabout said:

The registration and insurance were already paid for the year and they told me I should wait until it almost expires to change the car to my name. 

There is no point in waiting, this was obviously just to stop you from discovering this problem too soon.

To me this sounds like fraud, so if I were you I would just file a police report, might get things going.

The women's name doesn't sound Thai to me, are you sure that the personal data you have of them is legit and not fake?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Teresita Anasco doesn't sound Thai to me, are you sure that the personal data you have of them is not fake? 

Both names are real.. She may have been married before... She was a schoolteacher and apparently he was also before covid... He is from Florida but said he was sick and had to go usa soon. 

Yes I think this is fraud. He told me if I registered it right away I would have to pay the registration and insurance for the year all over again and lose the credit already paid by him. 

He also offered to buy seat covers for the car after I bought it and contacted me a week later. I couldn't figure out why he wanted to spend money on a car he didn't own any more... Only to find out he never legally owned it... The seat covers never arrived.. I guess he felt guilty? 

His name checks out from Florida and she has a YouTube channel she doesn't update... And her name pops up as his wife online... In an obituary for his father... Apparently both school teachers before covid canceled everything. 

He did sound like he was very sick and spoke about returning to USA. But condo says they still live there and that I have the correct phone. 

Edited by Muckabout

3 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Hope the blue book matches the car. ive had a bike for 10 years now,my name not on book,but other farang,no problems there,but put car in for test same time,(in my name),could cause confusion,but have receipts for test,no need to mention name

If I liked the car and wanted to keep it I suppose I could go 100 years with the car in some other dead persons name... Such is Thailand... But I want to register it and sell it... Or simply sell it... And as is I cannot do either... Yes the Blue Book matches the car... 

1 minute ago, Muckabout said:

If I liked the car and wanted to keep it I suppose I could go 100 years with the car in some other dead persons name... Such is Thailand... But I want to register it and sell it... Or simply sell it... And as is I cannot do either... Yes the Blue Book matches the car... 

There is a market for green books  (facebook Marketplace)  suppose blue book too if you ask,but yes selling would be a problem as things stand now

Just for your information:

Teresita is of Spanish origin. It is a name often given to girls in the Philippines!

Never heard of it being used in Thailand, and looking at her picture she does seem to be more Philippina than Thai.

Any advice needs to be shaped to the value of the car in terms of what you paid for it and what it is worth now ??????

Note. If you pursue the matter with the police or land transport office be prepared for the car to be returned to the original owner noted in the blue book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Just for your information:

Teresita is of Spanish origin. It is a name often given to girls in the Philippines!

Never heard of it being used in Thailand, and looking at her picture she does seem to be more Philippina than Thai.

Yes now that you mention it probably Phillipina. Looks like it. 

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Any advice needs to be shaped to the value of the car in terms of what you paid for it and what it is worth now ??????

I paid 40,000 for the car but now it's worthless to me...i will be giving the car to a Thai family I know... They can use it or figure out how to register it... Or sell it and keep the money... I don't care...I don't like being reminded of this failure every time I step outside. 

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Note. If you pursue the matter with the police or land transport office be prepared for the car to be returned to the original owner noted in the blue book.

Yes I'm sure contacting authorities would end with things being turned around on me and my being charged a fine or something...Thats Thailand.... The entire episode is now officially a write off...lost 40k baht...Live and learn.....buyers beware! 

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Knock on their door!

I know the bldg not the room number. It's a security condo bldg. I'm not going to escalate the problem. I'm pretty sure he left Thailand for cancer treatment in USA. He did seem quite sick. 

Maybe he was desperate? I got scammed. I was told others had offered more money and that he turned them down because he already committed to sell the car to me. He printed an elaborate document with Vin numbers and names and even had his wife sign as a witness... All preumably to keep my eyes away from closer examination of the bluebook.

He told me if I registered the car right away I would lose all the registration and insurance fees he already paid. I was stupid. Many red flags.

When I looked at bluebook it was all written in Thai... And I thought possession of blue book was tantamount to ownership. I WAS WRONG. My bad.

This has robbed me of my peace of mind. I'm giving the car to charity. I need to move on.