Prime minister urges Thais to make more holiday trips in aid of economy

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yup, will be booking ours with the hotel direct tomorrow, looks like they have reduced their prices, noting that a week before the "We travel together" 40% discount came into effect, they put their prices up 40%, and it looks like no one went....LOL

So tomorrow we will be booking for 5 nights in January, in this 5 star hotel that we have stayed at before on the oceanfront for 2,245 baht per night with breakfast included after the 40% discount is applied, how cheap is that.

Good thinks come to those that wait.

I'll be in the same hotel. Please don't book the room next to me.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yup, will be booking ours with the hotel direct tomorrow, looks like they have reduced their prices, noting that a week before the "We travel together" 40% discount came into effect, they put their prices up 40%, and it looks like no one went....LOL

So tomorrow we will be booking for 5 nights in January, in this 5 star hotel that we have stayed at before on the oceanfront for 2,245 baht per night with breakfast included after the 40% discount is applied, how cheap is that.

Good thinks come to those that wait.

Working middle class retiree but the price you cite is within the price range I look for. Want to share location?

Just now, Joules said:

Drop the damned restrictions.  I was about to go off to a national park (to hike outside and stay in a remote cabin) -- until I discovered that that park employees were going to meet me at the gate to ram one of those covid swabs down my nose.  Not in this lifetime.  Good luck with your economic recovery, Thailand!

Hmmm, was not aware of this, am I excepted if I show my vaccine status?  Upon mention of a national park ... nope, not until the double pricing is dropped for those of us on long stay visa extensions.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I'll be in the same hotel. Please don't book the room next to me.

LOL

Got a even better deal on now as they had a promotion on when the wife was making the booking over the phone.

The room was 3,780 per night and after using the We Travel Together App was reduced to 1,982 baht per night including breakfast and taxes, that's almost half, the app will also credit us with 600 baht per day to spend on food once we check in ????

Where else can you stay in a 5 star hotel for that kind of money and get money given to you to spend on your meals, happy days.

4 minutes ago, Joules said:

Drop the damned restrictions.  I was about to go off to a national park (to hike outside and stay in a remote cabin) -- until I discovered that that park employees were going to meet me at the gate to ram one of those covid swabs down my nose.  Not in this lifetime.  Good luck with your economic recovery, Thailand!

Hmmm, was not aware of this, am I excepted if I show my vaccine status?  Upon mention of a national park ... nope, not until the double pricing is dropped for those of us on long stay visa extensions.

The National Parks are not consistent.  Some let a foreigner come in free if he has a cabin reservation.  Others charge the 10x entrance fee, plus an additional fee for a car.  Have to check each one first.  But they are requiring a vaccine certificate AND will ram the swab down your nose before allowing you in.  So, if that is not your cup of tea, stay home.  I will not undergo ANY restrictions.  Until ALL are lifted, I will stay home.  I have plenty to do at home.  I am sure as hell NOT getting a covid test. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

LOL

Got a even better deal on now as they had a promotion on when the wife was making the booking over the phone.

The room was 3,780 per night and after using the We Travel Together App was reduced to 1,982 baht per night including breakfast and taxes, that's almost half, the app will also credit us with 600 baht per day to spend on food once we check in ????

Where else can you stay in a 5 star hotel for that kind of money and get money given to you to spend on your meals, happy days.

As it is "we travel together".

Would you mind to put my name on the list as well. I happily join you.

• Haha 1

Good idea from the leader. For this he should withdraw 400 million TBH from his private bank account and give every Thai who currently has no work and no money, 5000 Baht vacation money in hand. Then 80,000 Thais could take a short vacation. 

The Thai elites have amassed so much money, that they cannot spend that in their lives anyway.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, djayz said:

I would love to know what percentage of the population can actually afford to travel these days. Yes, it doesn't cost that much, but a lot of average, normal families don't have that kind of money. Another sign that a lot of these people are out of touch with reality. 

And the reality seems to be an ever spiraling Household Debt level, if a recent report is to be believed.

Household Debt has been reported as now being almost 94 % of GDP, which was an increase of 5 % on the previous Quarter.

A figure from the Legit Banking sector, and the debt is probably as high in the Black Banking Market.

That is a massive increase, and is probably a Gov,t directive for the Banks to try and stimulate the sour Economy

Afford it ? Yes , maybe today, but down the line many tears to follow a weekend away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kentrot said:

A farmer might get 5 baht for a kilo of vegetables that took months to grow . And Lotus's sells it, a week later, for TRIPLE the price. Not exactly fair !

Ahh.. don;t forget who now owns Tesco (and has major interests in just about everything else)

He needs to recoup his investment..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Great idea, Mr. P. And don't forget to remind the people how they can save money by cramming onto the most crowded buses and third class train carriages they can find, and then have lots of fun getting dunk on booze from the packed convenience stores, and then being jammed in with thousands of people at  events like the music fesitvals, fireworks displays or the New Year countdowns. That'll revive the economy, what could possibly go wrong?

Sounds like you'd be better off staying tucked away in doors while the rest of us go out  and enjoy ourselves,  ????????

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thais urge PM to step down to avoid further damage, and aid the economy. 

Besides, didn't you say you wanted to hand over power as soon as things calmed down? What happened? Why the change of heart? Enjoying the power and additional wealth a bit too much, are we? 

Ditto this.

Well said spidermike007

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

He wants Thai's to holiday more. 

That's like standing in a bucket and trying to lift it.

And why is everyone talking only about tourism. That's only 15-18% of GDP. What about the other 82-85 % ? 

Why isn't the government doing more to promote industry ? Every week there are stories of immigrant workers crossing the border to take THAI jobs   Maybe imposing a decent minimum wage would create more jobs for Thai's .

And would it be asking too much that farmers get a decent price for their goods. 13 million farmers subsist on a few hundred baht a day , if that. Not enough to take time off and spend on hotels and restaurants. A farmer might get 5 baht for a kilo of vegetables that took months to grow . And Lotus's sells it, a week later, for TRIPLE the price. Not exactly fair !

Thailand launches online farmers' domestic and global market - Pattaya Mail

Raising the minimum wage will really stop migrant workers from crossing the border. Lol If the government is doing such a great job now (maybe not) give them more power and control. 

What the all-knowing Uncle Tu seems to omit is the fact that:
- Thais can share a double room among 10 
- some cooking is done on the carpets of the room
- they bring their own supply of Mama soup, the Somtam gun and the sticky rice for the entire trip

Those who could actually go on a vacation (by educational level) are short of cash since the country has been beaten almost to death over the last 18 months. 

Back to drawing board, Uncle Tu, and start planning on what kind of money you want to burn in the future, after submarines etc. Thailand will have a taxation stand-still for at least five years to come as those companies still in operation will be carrying forward losses you cant even dream about. And personal income tax = see above!

Good luck to all ???? 

• Like 1

I was going to multi-quote but when the number got to 20 it was just easier to comment.

Up here the number of people on holidays is crazy for this time of the year. The roads last weekend were like peak holiday times, bumper to bumper. Today was not as bad but still many more than usual for this time of year.

And guess what. We have people up here that need the tourists to survive and they are doing very well, thank you, with all of these holiday people. They have done it tough for over a year but now some good times are coming back thanks to domestic tourism.

The tourist attractions are already full of people travelling with government subsidy, while the hotels and restaurants are begging for more guests. Over-development of hotels near tourist attractions have caused an over-supply of hotel rooms. I had a trip to Similan Islands last month and with deserted hotels, I was hoping to find deserted beaches, but the place was full of young thais travelling with government subsidy. I definitely won't do that again, when the foreign tourists including the Chinese starts to visit Thailand again.

Maybe give more holidays... Last week a long weekend for Father's Day.. This week a long week for Constitution Day and than the long New Year Holiday... 3 long weekends in a month... Yeah sure people like to travel and spend money.. more holidays than working days.. Today in Hua Hin Bue port.. almost empty,  Market Village in the food plaza not busy .. space enough.. Rest of the Market Village almost no one... many shops in Hua Hin closed... Indeed they need tourists but if the domestic people don't have money and the foreigners are not really welcome with all the obstacles they have to do and take when they come it will be difficult for the tourist sector

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Shopping malls are still full of shoppers with shiny new toys, car sales are skyrocketing, upmarket restaurants and coffee shops are full of people, domestic terminals are full of travelers. Not everyone is broke in this country. And if those who have spend some, that could trickle down to those who don't have as well.

I agree. Many many Thais have done very well these last two years. A lot of these people who post the funny face or laughing icons don't even know any Thai people.

• Confused 3