Stolen

KhaoYai

On 12/10/2021 at 7:47 PM, KhaoYai said:

I don't think I'd be allowed - Mods??

Any vid showing faces of suspects would be removed due to the extreme defamation laws that prevail here, so best not to put it up at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:
22 hours ago, CH1961 said:

I found it ... 

Lazada has plenty of them. 

Send the reward to my account asap. 

Expand  

They are £500 in the UK.

Then buy the B23,000 one from Lazada!  Ask the right questions of the vendor before you order and if it turns out to be fake Lazada will give you a refund.

Or you could buy from another supplier here, you have the choice.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

its only when you look at the 32 page policy document that you see the word aggregate

The idea is that policy documents are read so that you know what is covered.  32-page policy document?  Don't believe for a minute that the policy doc is 32 pages long.   Unless they're very small pages, of course.

There is a list of  things that are covered

Useful to know, lucky that the insurer pointed those out in the policy.

There is also a specific list of exclusions

Useful to know, also.  Lucky that the insurer pointed those out in the policy.

my insurance agent agrees with me

The opinion of the bloke who sold you the policy and was paid commission for it is irrelevant, it's only the policy conditions that count.

Tough, I know but that's the way insurance works, the insurer offers to cover you for certain risks at a certain premium and you have the option to agree to it or decline it.  If you don't like the sound of the coverage or you're not sure about the coverage, you can ask for clarification.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Their stance at the moment is that the helmet is not in what they call 'the definitive list' of things that are covered.  Well, given that said list only includes around 10 items

The insurer gave you a definitive list of what items were covered, at that point if you had any items that were not on that list, or you were unsure about, you should have queried it, not waited until you made a claim for an item the was specifically not on the "covered" list.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Or get a photo of the thief holding (not wearing)  the helmet, most usably with his bike rego plate in the photo.

Would he be able to prove that the person holding the helmet was the thief or that the helmet he was holding was the OP's considering that those helmets are widely available here and probably don't have VINs or registration numbers?  

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Just to make it absolutely clear, there is nothing in my policy, either the English language version or the Thai one, that excludes crash helmets or anything vaguely similar.  There is a list of what is included which ends in 'and other personal effects normally kept with the house' and a list of what's excluded - no helmets there.  In my opinion my helmet is covered in those 'personal effects'. No amount of reading of the policy would have alerted me to the fact that the helmet would not be insured and I am confident that the insurers will have to back down on this.

Their stance at the moment is that the helmet is not in what they call 'the definitive list' of things that are covered.  Well, given that said list only includes around 10 items, a hell of a lot of other things would also not be covered - hence, I'd guess, the author's INCLUSION of the phrase 'and other personal effects normally kept with the house', otherwise the 'definitive list' would have to run to several pages.

That's awful I agree. So what you intend to do? 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The insurer gave you a definitive list of what items were covered, at that point if you had any items that were not on that list, or you were unsure about, you should have queried it, not waited until you made a claim for an item the was specifically not on the "covered" list.

You clearly don't understand and possibly should read what I said about other items. I'm not about to turn this into a discussion about my insurance any further than it already has but since you and at least one other don't seem to 'get it', I'll try to explain further.

There is a list in general INCLUSIONS but it is understandably not very long - its list the major groups and type of items that are covered and covers the rest by stating in (Definitions):

'and other property in the dwelling of the Insured or normal dependants (which are not
specifically excluded in the Exclusions)' 
(direct copy and paste from the policy PDF).

Under the section related to loss through theft using forcible entry the policy states:

'2. Furniture, Fixtures and Fittings, Electrical Appliances and Household Contents.' (direct copy and paste from the policy PDF).

The list of EXCLUSIONS in that section states:

Excluding any mobile phones, laptop or computer notebooks and/or all portable electronic equipments, portable communication equipments, and/or cameras, video, and/or other recording devices or media. (direct copy and paste from the policy PDF).

Now, reading that, why I should have known my crash helmet is not covered?  I believe it is and the matter is ongoing. The quotes above state, in my opinion that all other property in the house is covered unless its specifically included.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The idea is that policy documents are read so that you know what is covered.  32-page policy document?  Don't believe for a minute that the policy doc is 32 pages long.   Unless they're very small pages, of course.

I don't really care what you do or do not believe but having looked again, I am mistaken - its 42 pages long. Take a look at the page count!

image.png.75eff58ffff9a259e38b67916f5a3ae5.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BusyB said:

Did they take anything else?

Yes, there's quite a lot of stuff missing but my helmet, despite what others have said, is distinctive and might just catch them out. I've toured quite a bit in Thailand, visiting many of the places popular with bikers and attended race meetings etc., I've never seen another.  It may well have been painted to disguise it but given these people were stupid enough to record themselves on my camera, they may not have even tried to hide its identity.

For the benefit of those hellbent on turning even the simplest or requests into an argument, I am fully aware that there's only a tiny chance of these people being found but there'd be even less chance if I didn't try.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sophon said:

That's not the point. The point is that there are Punisher helmets out there, genuine or otherwise. So if someone here spotted one, it could not automatically be assumed that it is your helmet. And falsely accusing someone of theft could have serious consequences.

You make a valid point but it would be up to the police to follow up any leads.  I'm pretty sure they know what they can and cannot do. It is quite normal in any crime for sseveral leads on suspects to be followed up - many will be eliminated, others might be considered worthy of further investigation.  For example:

A reader here might have noticed a neighbour wearing a similar helmet recently. Given that most Thai's that even bother with a helmet usually buy the cheapest they can find, I would notice a neighbour wearing a brand I know to be expensive. That reader may pass the information on to me and in turn I would pass it on to the police.  They may check the person out and they may turn out to be a known burglar, in which case I would think they might visit the suspect's home and look for any of the other items stolen from my house.  I very much doubt there would be any consequences for anyone reporting thay had seen someone wearing a helmet as described.  Seeing in not accusing and the police decide on what further action to take.

The Thai police quite often post photos of suspects, some of whom will turn out to be innocent. I very much doubt they can be prosecuted for accusing them in the first place.

9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes, there's quite a lot of stuff missing but my helmet, despite what others have said, is distinctive and might just catch them out. I've toured quite a bit in Thailand, visiting many of the places popular with bikers and attended race meetings etc., I've never seen another.  It may well have been painted to disguise it but given these people were stupid enough to record themselves on my camera, they may not have even tried to hide its identity.

For the benefit of those hellbent on turning even the simplest or requests into an argument, I am fully aware that there's only a tiny chance of these people being found but there'd be even less chance if I didn't try.

Thanks for replying ... I'm sorry to hear that. It must also be quite devastating to have your home violated like that regardless of what gets taken.

I was just wondering though, because as you say the helmet is noticeable and valuable so I was wondering if it was 'stolen to order'. That does happen. My mother's place was broken into a few weeks after they'd bought an expensive TV (as pensioners they spend a lot of time in front of it so figured they'd better get the best) - it was all that was taken, police said 'stolen to order'. They've got a burglar alarm now for what that's worth - makes them at least feel safer.

All the best.

25 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't know if you're a biker or not but if you are, I very much doubt, when buying your home insurance you would have asked if your crash helmet was covered.  If I owned a particularly valuable items such as art or jewellery, I would of course check the cover but a crash helmet?  No way.  You are simply trying to pick fault with my post - why? I know not, Lonely? Bored? Troll? Keyboard Warrior?

A number of years ago I enquired about ‘contents’ insurance.... 

The insurance didn’t cover things such as Wife’s Diamond Rings, Valuable watches etc unless I took out additional cover which was quoted at a significant premium - then the items were only covered IF stollen from a safe (fair enough), but then not covered if Condo security or a maid were involved etc. 

Watches not covered if mugged (i.e. while wearing them outside).

The insurance did cover all items ‘under a certain amount’ which means I had to list all expensive items such as Laptop, iPads etc and each time I made a new purchase of something over 10,000 baht I had to add it to the list.

Insurance was also invalidated by an ‘inside job’ (i.e. maid, neighbours made etc or condo security).

Ultimately nearly all the scenarios I imagined (and asked about) were not covered and then the additional premium for the valuable items made the cover not only nearly useless, but just too expensive to worth bothering with. 

We are still uninsured. 

I’m quite sure my 25,000 baht Motorcycle helmet would not be included in cover unless I listed it specifically along with about 50 other ’small value’ items.

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately nearly all the scenarios I imagined (and asked about) were not covered and then the additional premium for the valuable items made the cover not only nearly useless, but just too expensive to worth bothering with. 

Yes, I have to admit to not reading the entire policy in detail and quite frankly, I'm shocked at the amount of things that are not covered and this business of aggregate values.  There are more 'get out clauses' than I've ever seen - my agent says its quite normal on Thai policies.

My policy doesn't have any requirement to list valuable items but there are exclusions for 'bullion' etc.  I've had home insurance long enough to know that certain particularly valuable items need to be notified and may require an additional premium or security arrangements but I wouldn't include a crash helmet amongst such things.

Given the known 'get out clauses' and the fact that in this case the insurers are trying to exclude something that is not listed in their own exclusions, thereby creating an unlisted 'phantom clause', I'm not at all sure that its worth insuring.

One point that might be of interest to a number of readers here is that my property is not covered if the premises are left unoccupied for more than 7 days. So if you go on holiday, a time when your property is probably most at risk, you may not be covered.  My UK policy allows 30 days.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The .reward is for information that leads to an arrest, note ARREST! I have not suggested that anyone do any 'detaining'!

Jeez, I make a simple post in an effort to catch the people who broke into my house and people turn it into a major controversy

Asking people to make an effort to locate your helmet Kingdom-wide is not a "simple post" as you surmise or attempt to portray pathetically. You are literally provoking readers to react to such an impossible task. "Jeez"

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

I was just wondering though, because as you say the helmet is noticeable and valuable so I was wondering if it was 'stolen to order'.

Understood but I don't think so. I haven't been home since March 2020 due to Covid. so I doubt anyone would remember me riding around wearing the helmet.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:08 PM, KhaoYai said:

I still think my helmet is very rare

What distinguishes your rare helmet from all those offered on lazada? 

Do you really think the price tag from UK  is still on? 

Edited by CH1961
typo