Visa Exemption to Non O query

I'm planning to arrive in Thailand without a visa and understand I'll get stamped in for 30 days. And this can also be extended for a further 30 days. I'm then looking at getting a Non - O (retirement) visa and an extension of stay further down the line. My question is what time window do I have to secure the Non - O?  I read somewhere that the Non-O needs to be applied for before with a minimum of 15 days remaining on the permitted stay date stamped in your passport.  Does this take into consideration the 30 day extension or is it 15 days from the original stay date?   Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, PaulS66 said:

Can the extension be applied for as soon as I am in Thailand or is it only possible within so many days of the original expiry date?

Best to wait till couple of weeks max prior to end of permit.

Do you have an existing Thai bank account in your name only?

32 minutes ago, PaulS66 said:

No.  I had one 25 years ago when I lived there but have only holidayed for short periods since then.  I'm just trying to buy myself enough time to lease a condo, get a letter of residence, get a bank account and then apply for a Non O

You don't need all that for your non O.

What you need most importantly is a bank account.

Given you will enter visa exempt, I suggest that you use an agent to open bank account. 

If you decide you try obtain bank account yourself you may be better off to obtain letter from your embassy. For a residence certificate from immigration in Bangkok you will need to have done a 90 day report. 

Where do you plan to obtain your non O? 

Edited by DrJack54

Oh right. I understood that you needed to show a lease agreement for Non O but having re-read the document that Ubon Joe linked to earlier I see this is not the case.  I mean I intend to lease a place long term anyway but the process of finding the right one could substantially eat into the time I have to get my Non O organised. As you say, given I'll be on visa exempt, use of an agent to secure a bank account quickly could be a decent option as long as the price is reasonable.  Please PM me if you can recommend anyone (in Patts preferably).  TIA.

23 minutes ago, PaulS66 said:

Please PM me if you can recommend anyone (in Patts preferably).

Done. PM sent.

Step 1. Obtain bank account.

The rest isn't big deal.

Make sure you have your bank in home country set up to allow online transfers.

I use Wise. Your home bank my have limits you need to set that up. 

Edited by DrJack54

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Make sure you have your bank in home country set up to allow online transfers.

Are there currently any situations where periodic transfers are required by Immigration to begin a Non-O or maintain an extension of stay? For a single person?

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Are there currently any situations where periodic transfers are required by Immigration to begin a Non-O or maintain an extension of stay? For a single person?

Only if your using income method. 

My post you quoted ....I was referring to transfer of funds from bank in your own country to bank account in Thailand to satisfy "money in bank method" ...800k.

This needs to be shown with correct codes to show funds came from O/S.

Added point to note is check with home bank about transfers. Is there a limit (daily limit etc) Also may require one time password OTP. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1