Exporting Food

btate

Btate

I have no experiance -but I did look into the subject, and at least as far as veggies go the logistics issue and regulatory requirements (European end) are scary.

Spices and dried herbs are a lot easier.

I could talk for the rest of the morning about it - won;t bother, but say this: veggies (and fruits) are a no go unless you can put a contract in place i.e. establish a bulk buyer to justify costs (bulk been the operative word - you need to freight in half container sizes and larger to justify the project financialy).

Packed herbs and spices - if you can offer something competitive (like a special herb mix - and "organic" has to be part of the equation - and/or something that doesn't grow well in Europe well, or is hard to get) - then that may well be a way forward - market it through your own website or establish an outlet through a chain of health shops or similar.

This 2nd option is I think in any event a good starting point - if not the objective, but at least to get the experiance associated with exporting food type products. The ultimate woul dbe a running contract with Tesco (Europe) or Walmart (USA). Both groups, and other large international retail food chains all have buyeres based in Thailand. You may wish to contact them and establish what they have a need for - it's their job, so they'll be keen to speak to you. They will also be a valuble source of import/export regulatory requirements and how to go about it.

.... and lastly, as always - it will be hard work and long hours.

Good luck

MF