Confused about residence certificate after buying a new car

yuri48494

I bought a new car around six months ago, and now the car company are saying that I (pretty urgently) need to get some kind of proof of address certificate.

The problem is they only speak Thai so this has been written to me as หนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่อยู่ (Residence certificate).

The thing I'm confused about is where I have to go to do this, and what documents are required. 

I have read other threads on the topic, such as this one, but they don't actually have a definitive answer (instead, people are mostly arguing about what you do and don't need). 

I have been told I need to go to immigration with my passport and work permit to get this, but I was also told It's up to immigration whether they will give me this paper or not which seems very strange to me. 

This is a brand new car, which I have already purchased. It is now being registered (I presume to get white license plates).

The dealer said they can handle everything for me but I need that address certificate first.

Any advice GREATLY appreciated. 

To buy  a car or motorbike you get a Certificate of residence at the immigration in the province where you are registered.

(Visa , 90 days)

You have to show the invoive for for the car.  They want to know for what you need this 

with your passport with TM 30 and departure card inside.

2 pass photos.

May be a rental contract of hoise or condo. (sometimes they dont ask )

better to have it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kishnanakishna said:

I bought a new car around six months ago, and now the car company are saying that I (pretty urgently) need to get some kind of proof of address certificate.

It took six months for delivery of your car ? or you have been driving with red plates for 6 months ? The Residence Certificate is so that the auto dealer can register your vehicle with the DLT and get real plates/pay tax etc.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kishnanakishna said:

work permit

If your work permit has an address on it you can also just use a copy of this instead, no need to get a residence certificate from immigration.

If it doesn't have an address (or is a digital work permit) then attend immigration as the other posters explained, bring your rental contract and TM30 receipt.

• Like 1

Go to immigration and get your the Letter Of Residence it is Free, it is a simple form, TM.16, you may need to wait a few days, some have said they pay for express service 500b but of course there is no recite. Some LTO except a yellow house book if you have one.

583e0b8b03d91_PaperDriverlicenseImmigration.jpeg.267f58bc34ad029cd2d4043f014ac056.thumb.jpeg.00b41eccf2e5dd25411680e723114d3d.jpeg782704206_download(33).jpg.0577fd2c81687ef8cad619fe716676c5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

The easiest, cheapest way is to get it at your immigration office.  Normally free but read here that some offices charge 500 baht.

Just tell them you need it for your drivers license, they are used to that.

Don't tell them that they may tick the wrong box !

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, kishnanakishna said:

This is a brand new car, which I have already purchased. It is now being registered (I presume to get white license plates).

The dealer said they can handle everything for me but I need that address certificate first.

I bought a brand new car 6 months ago and I just used my WorkPermit, even tho it has my old living address (they do not update with new addresses when you renew your WP), I pointed this out for the Car dealer, and they say no problem we change address later.

There you go kishnanakishna....   you have all your answers....

As you are on a Work Permit you have the following Options: 

1) IS your address printed anywhere in your work permit ???  IF yes, use that. IF no, get a Certificate of Address from Immigration (as below)

2) Go to your nearest Immigration office and obtain a Certificate of Address exactly as brianthainess mentioned above (take a copy of that letter with you so they understand what you want). 

*Note: If in Bangkok the place at which you get your letter of address may not actually be at Chaeng Wattana Immigration Division 1 and may be at the same place people carry out their 90 days reports near Impact Arena - Someone on this forum should be able to confirm this for you. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90+Days+Report+New+Building/@13.9169716,100.543581,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e283b7734e9699:0x11acedeb13faa01f!8m2!3d13.9185579!4d100.5493721

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Go to immigration and get your the Letter Of Residence it is Free, it is a simple form, TM.16, you may need to wait a few days, some have said they pay for express service 500b but of course there is no recite. Some LTO except a yellow house book if you have one.

583e0b8b03d91_PaperDriverlicenseImmigration.jpeg.267f58bc34ad029cd2d4043f014ac056.thumb.jpeg.00b41eccf2e5dd25411680e723114d3d.jpeg782704206_download(33).jpg.0577fd2c81687ef8cad619fe716676c5.jpg

For info. I have had to get several of these from Jomtien Immigration and there they charge 200 baht. Pick up is usually an hour after you submit the form unless lunch time gets in the way

46 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

For info. I have had to get several of these from Jomtien Immigration and there they charge 200 baht. Pick up is usually an hour after you submit the form unless lunch time gets in the way

Can you post a copy of the receipt please.  :cheesy::guitar: 

Thanks for all of the great replies!

On 12/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, richard_smith237 said:

There you go kishnanakishna....   you have all your answers....

As you are on a Work Permit you have the following Options: 

1) IS your address printed anywhere in your work permit ???  IF yes, use that. IF no, get a Certificate of Address from Immigration (as below)

My address is on my work permit but the car dealer said the registration was rejected because I don't have (what I have now learned) is a certificate of residence.

A little annoying, but I'll get it sorted.

Thanks a lot!

On 12/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, kishnanakishna said:

Thanks for all of the great replies!

My address is on my work permit but the car dealer said the registration was rejected because I don't have (what I have now learned) is a certificate of residence.

A little annoying, but I'll get it sorted.

Thanks a lot!

I'm curious as to how you got a DL without a Residence cert.

• Like 1