DIY Canned Air Why so little?

Beachcomber

Following an idea on YouTube I soldered a bike valve stem into an empty bug spray can to make a can of pressurized air for general dusting use.

499341663_MyAir600ml.jpg.eee2a2b4d2a07843d9c6a0656fc2f0b0.jpg

I pressurize the can to about 75psi and it works quite well with good blast of air coming out of the nozzle. 

Problem is the air only last a couple of seconds before the can is empty and has to be refilled again.

My can of compressed air is 600ml yet a can of air from the shop which lasts a long time and gives may blasts of air is only 220ml.  

How come the can from the shop with less than half the air lasts so much longer than my home made air can ????

696855205_CannedAir220ml.jpg.f313daa0dcce266d7e6f443e6284cb1f.jpg

What am I missing ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Don't those cans also contain a propellant?

Wat! the  bug cans?

Obviously bug cans have the bug stuff in them and this is sprayed out by the propellant.

So theoretically there is even less actual air/propellant in one of those than the capacity on the tin, which makes even more of a question why I'm getting so little air out of my homemade air can.

As for the shop bought can I don't know how that works. I assumed that it was just full of compressed air.  

12 minutes ago, bbko said:

Those store bought air dusters are NOT canned air, they're filled with a propellent such as HFC-152a.

So is the whole can full of HFC-152a and that is what comes out, or is it jus a propellant for the air?

Either way still does not explain the difference in air produced between the two cans. 

Could it be air molecules are smaller than HFC-152a and come out faster?

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:35 PM, bbko said:

Interesting experiment from "Beachcomber" seems you need "liquid air" to give volume for the concept to work. Is there such a thing?

As for an "air duster" I found the electric air pump I got for the kids paddling  pool works very well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rechargeable-electric-air-pump-inflatable-air-pump-inflate-deflate-for-outdoor-kayak-airbed-boat-fishingus-plug-i2661880577-s9577287854.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.15e27f05BA3j0j&search=1

1092501314_AirPump!.jpg.494ba5ec682e714b91352102f36c8a9b.jpg

The air flow is strong enough to blow out any dust and <deleted> from the computer and keyboard, specially if you use the thin pointy attachment.

Cheaper non rechargeable mains/12v models are available that would do the same job, but I settled for the rechargeable so could let just let the kids get on with it without fear of electrocution.     :whistling: