Immigration bust foreigners partying in Bangkok amid "Omicron" fears

webfact

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Personally, I think, if use any label, unnecessarily, is offensive.  Only if asked by police what color the perp was, so they don't shoot wrong person, would skin color be necessary.

Why on earth would you be offended by having a label like black, white, Asian, European etc. If a group of dark skinned people called me a honky to my face I would not be bothered at all - not that I have heard Honky used for a long time, just an example. If that is how they normally refer to white people amongst themselves then why not use it when talking to me? People are far too easily offended by unimportant words. Context and attitude are what's important not the label.

"Hey Honky, how's it going " is fine.

"What are you doing in here Honky?" Is not good and it wouldn't make any difference if the label Honky was included or not.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

In regards to what? Thaiglish in the report about the container Shabheen? Most Thai racism is directed at other Thais especially of Lao descent targeting their accents, language and complexion. That prejudice aimed at foreigners, harmless and even charming is not real racism which is rooted in unequal (economic) power balance. But there is no doubt about the lazy stereotype of term 'farang' which reflects a form of racism.

Using the term colored people in 2021 is ignorant, dumb, tone deaf, and reeks of a feeling of a totally undeserved sense of superiority. It is very ugly. And I am NOT PC. 

3 hours ago, fangless said:

What shipping container is big enough to hold a Pool Table worth playing on?

Normal Container sizes are all 8 feet (2.44 m) wide, and of either 20 or 40 feet (6.10 or 12.19 m)

Pool tables come in different sizes, typically referred to as 9-foot (2.7 m), 8.5 ft (2.6 m), 8 ft (2.4 m), or 7 ft (2.1 m) tables. In all cases, the table is rectangular with a 2:1 ratio (e.g. 9 × 4.5 ft).

But they were swinging from the roof of it.. trained

Edited by fredscats
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Omicron so far appears to not only be like a pimple on the cheek of a teenager, but it may be signaling the near end of Covid. All this panic and paranoia, has so far proven to be highly unjustified, and simply more uneducated hysteria. 

In addition, it is encouraging the further destruction of the tourism industry. 

Woe is Thailand. 

At the moment, Omicron cases are doubling every 2 to 3 days, in the UK. It may seem insignificant now but it will soon be very serious especially for many anti vaxers. Over 30% here have not had any vaccines at all yet, hence the big push for vaccines going on right now.

If it keeps going at this rate (unlikely) everyone in the UK will have had it by the end of January. On Sunday there were around 1250 new cases of Omicron in the UK. 

12 - 1250 - around the 12th Dec.

15 - 2500

18 - 5000

21 - 10000

24 - 20000

27 - 50000

30 - 100000

2 - 200000

5 - 400000

8 - 800000

11 - 1.6M

14 - 3.2M

17 - 6.4M

20 - 12.8M

23 - 25.6M

27 - 51.2M

30 Jan - everyone in the UK

See chart from https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/health/omicron-cases-uk-map-how-many-where-covid-variant-surge-london-east-midlands-latest-1349649/amp

PRI_214943455-760x507.jpg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Using the term colored people in 2021 is ignorant, dumb, tone deaf, and reeks of a feeling of a totally undeserved sense of superiority. It is very ugly. And I am NOT PC. 

Is "people of colour" any better? What words would you accept?

5 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I believe the correct way to say it now is person of color!

Why mention color at all? Where I live we have hundreds of different nationalities we have yellow black white no news ever mentioned the color they just say names

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Dont they have the organization for the advancement of coloured people still in the USA? or has that got a new name?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kelly Davy said:

Whoever is responsible for writing this news is a disgraced to humanity. It’s unfortunate to see a clear and blatant racism and yet people are ok with it. How is this ok “They had been servicing the dark skinned community for the last month” or this “The media in their headline as well as immigration on a vinyl board called it a party for "colored" people”. 
Are they not humans? I bet you couldn’t hide your racist views. I don’t think I have read on this platform about thais been arrested in similar gathering and been referred to as “Party of Yellow or brown people”.  This is just so wrong. 

Describing a person's skin color or personal appearance is not racism.. Please read the definition of racism as too many times it taken out of content. 

I dont see where the article said anything derogative towards the group as they were describing the group.

If someone has blonde hair and you describe them with blonde hair is that racism?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kelly Davy said:

Whoever is responsible for writing this news is a disgraced to humanity. It’s unfortunate to see a clear and blatant racism and yet people are ok with it. How is this ok “They had been servicing the dark skinned community for the last month” or this “The media in their headline as well as immigration on a vinyl board called it a party for "colored" people”. 
Are they not humans? I bet you couldn’t hide your racist views. I don’t think I have read on this platform about thais been arrested in similar gathering and been referred to as “Party of Yellow or brown people”.  This is just so wrong. 

Get a life snowflake, it's the Thai way of describing blacks the same way some Asians describe Westerners as 'Wide eyes' but I bet people like you wouldn't bat an eye at that?

Yet you're all so quick to jump on the fashionable racist band wagon.

If your not happy with the way Thai's describe our Afican brothers go back to where you come from and spew your views in your voluntary.

Nothing wrong with calling a "spade a spade" 

It wasn't that long ago that Black's accepted being called coloured because if you hadn't noticed black is actually a colour same as pink, yellow brown and white they are ALL colors.

End of conversation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Omicron so far appears to not only be like a pimple on the cheek of a teenager, but it may be signaling the near end of Covid. All this panic and paranoia, has so far proven to be highly unjustified, and simply more uneducated hysteria. 

In addition, it is encouraging the further destruction of the tourism industry. 

Woe is Thailand. 

Most optimistically, the beginning of the end. Either way, we've still got at least another year of the great viral unpleasantness. 

29 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Non-White will do,an excellent identifying name

So will  saying "the object/person was/was not white" or "the object/person was/was not another colour of the rainbow".

Why is the colour of a person different to the colour of any other object or substance?  

Everything is capable of being described by it's colour!

Colour is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called blue, green, red, etc. Colour derives from the spectrum of light (distribution of light power versus wavelength) interacting in the eye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But people of colour IS accepted now. But it's all arbitrary. Coloured was considered polite at one time...

4 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Can't wait to call my farang friends "Pale".

pale1
/pāl/
adjective

1. 1.
    light in color or having little color.
    "choose pale floral patterns for walls"

I carry water and/or other things in a pail no matter what colour the pail or it's contents as they always pale into insignificance!  The same as many of the comments above!

Edited by fangless

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe so in the US who have their own unique racial problems. "Coloured" is still acceptable in the UK and probably most western countries.

2 hours ago, chang1 said:

At the moment, Omicron cases are doubling every 2 to 3 days, in the UK. It may seem insignificant now but it will soon be very serious especially for many anti vaxers. Over 30% here have not had any vaccines at all yet, hence the big push for vaccines going on right now.

If it keeps going at this rate (unlikely) everyone in the UK will have had it by the end of January. On Sunday there were around 1250 new cases of Omicron in the UK. 

12 - 1250 - around the 12th Dec.

15 - 2500

18 - 5000

21 - 10000

24 - 20000

27 - 50000

30 - 100000

2 - 200000

5 - 400000

8 - 800000

11 - 1.6M

14 - 3.2M

17 - 6.4M

20 - 12.8M

23 - 25.6M

27 - 51.2M

30 Jan - everyone in the UK

See chart from https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/health/omicron-cases-uk-map-how-many-where-covid-variant-surge-london-east-midlands-latest-1349649/amp

PRI_214943455-760x507.jpg

Nonsense. We have no information, scientific data and studies to point toward your rather extreme and panic mongering conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Why mention color at all? Where I live we have hundreds of different nationalities we have yellow black white no news ever mentioned the color they just say names

Same here in the UK. In a situation like this I guess it is used as they all had the same skin colour but were from several different countries so easier to describe them. I expect if they were all European then they would have been called farang instead. 

Maybe the important question is "should their race or nationality" be mentioned at all? The PC crowd will say no, we are all the same and in their next breath say we should celebrate diversity.  I think knowing the race of people is important as it can be used to build a picture of the culture they come from and bring with them. Ask yourself "would you prefer neighbours from Canada or Nigeria? Then try telling me you're not racist. 

I was brought up in almost entirely white British areas so knew and understand the people and culture around me. Only in the last 15 or so years have foreigners been noticeable where I live. For many years i have been subjected to the PC crowd telling me how wonderful foreigners are and I should accept them into my community and all will be wonderful. Those people were brought up in places like London surrounded by immigrants so don't have a clue what it is like to live in an almost immigrant free environment. I loved it, the sense of belonging and at ease with those around me has now long gone. My son goes to a school where around 30% are immigrants. Notices are in several languages and every skin colour is represented. Every factory I go to is the same. Do I like it? Not at all. The constant bombardment of pro immigrant propaganda makes me feel like I am living in a foreign country where I have to do what they want instead of what we want. I voted to leave Europe hoping all the Europeans would go back when their work was done but no, they were all given the right to stay for life. We are being invaded by people from every failed middle East and African state who can't get the same easy life and respect in France. This tide can never be turned back and my son will never know what it is like to be truly British so will never understand what he is missing. I hope he will embrace multiculturalism in a way I never can in my home country. 

It is not that I don't get on with foreigners as I do and love travelling and interacting with other cultures but it was always nice to go to my homeland.

So to all those who criticise Thais for being xenophobic - put yourself in their place. 

Some immigration involving quality immigrants is good, I have always enjoyed Chinese and Indian food but mass immigration is not good.

If we do eventually end up living in Thailand I will live by their rules and certainly would never have a problem with being called a farang. If a group of farangs are misbehaving I won't worry about their label but will cringe that I will be associated with them. And if enough of my race upsets Thais so much that we are asked to leave, off we go. It's their country and I am nothing more than a visitor, free to leave at any time (although I have shown some commitment by marrying a Thai and our son is Thai). I just wish they would take road safety seriously though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

it's relevant because Omicron is spreading around the world from its base in Africa. Governments everywhere are nervous about letting Africans into the country. Probably should have referred to them as "Africans" but the author of the OP probably thought it sounded even more racist. 

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

Dont they have the organization for the advancement of coloured people still in the USA? or has that got a new name?

Not at all relevant. It was established in 1909. At that time it was a term that was widely used. I have never heard a black person refer to another ad a colored person. Anyone using this term is just ignorant. People of color, yes. A colored person? Just spectacularly ignorant journalism and a largely tone deaf population. And I am not PC. 

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nonsense. We have no information, scientific data and studies to point toward your rather extreme and panic mongering conclusion. 

Not really. Pretty much everyone will be exposed to this. That's a mainstream conclusion now.

• Like 1