The carnage continues on the Thai roads: 75 deaths on Monday including Swiss tourist in Phuket

webfact

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Depends where anywhere else is....I have certainly noticed a plethora of examples of dangerous driving....the incident numbers back it up. An hour in Bangkok should set you straight.

20 years extensive driving in Thailand.

Driven in Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, All over Western Europe, USA, North Africa, Australia. 

Used to see a lot in UK until the 1990s and Italy.

Lived in Bkk,  used to drive through to work in Central Bkk (Lumpini) every day by car.

Edited by kwilco

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

20 years extensive driving in Thailand.

Me too (well not extensive)... doubt a day goes by that I don't see some dangerous act or stupid one, unless I stay home that day. I have seen gross madness like racing in the wrong direction here on the Ayutthaya Rd.... people driving the wrong way is a common occurrence. High speed undertaking, road rage madness. The other end of the scale was driving in the UK.... as a youngster it was easy, people were polite.

I think you are making it up, why, heaven knows.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Me too (well not extensive)... doubt a day goes by that I don't see some dangerous act or stupid one, unless I stay home that day. I have seen gross madness like racing in the wrong direction here on the Ayutthaya Rd.... people driving the wrong way is a common occurrence. High speed undertaking, road rage madness. The other end of the scale was driving in the UK.... as a youngster it was easy, people were polite.

I think you are making it up, why, heaven knows.

Yet in a car your chances of dying are the same as in the USA.

When driving g in Europe and Australia I also see incredibly stupid things to.

We are talking traffic light and I certainly don't see that as a major Thai characteristic.

As I say I think a lot of it is confirmation bias.

Try Googling Russian roads or Chinese.....

I think the problem is that a lot of foreign drivers can't adapt to driving in Thailand and turn to blaming others for their own insecurity

Edited by kwilco

4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Yet in a car your chances of dying are the same as in the USA.

So now you move the goalposts......

Dangerous driving is not limited to cars... but many poor Thai car drivers are responsible for all those motorcycle deaths you now choose to discount!

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So now you move the goalposts......

Dangerous driving is not limited to cars... but many poor Thai car drivers are responsible for all those motorcycle deaths you now choose to discount!

Thr original comment was about shooting lights. I haven't noticed cars shooting  lights any more in Thailand than anywhere else.

I know some Brits don't understand turn left on red..... and I've seen a few cyclists mount the pavement...even the odd motorbike   but I don't really think that comes under shooting lights.

I have noticed that foreign drivers tend to be overwhelmed driving in Thailand and resort to blaming others for what is basically their own  insecurity 

As I said their perception is largely clouded by confirmation  bias....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

Thr original comment was about shooting lights. I haven't noticed cars shooting  lights any more in Thailand than anywhere else.

Depends what you mean by shooting..... I am of the opinion that Thai drivers are slow off the mark when the lights turn from red to green, BUT, they will race for a green light, and I have seen them proceed (by just tailgating the car in front) for 3-4 seconds into the time of a red light. Not so long ago a truck slaughtered a few motorcyclists at the Suk/ Nua junction doing exactly that. I myself sit at that junction waiting to turn right into Nua and see the lights being jumped by vehicles that have accelerated to do it. Waiting a few seconds after you get the green light makes sense here.

Also if there is little traffic, many jump red lights here. WIN and Grab M/Cs frequently.

The USA and UK often have cameras detecting this as a deterrent.

I certainly see more of it here than I do the UK....

Edited by jacko45k

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think the problem is that a lot of foreign drivers can't adapt to driving in Thailand and turn to blaming others for their own insecurity

Agree - got my Class One (HGV) license in 1974. Been driving all my life.

Go to Vancouver, all the talk is how bad the Chinese people drive.

Here - I believe old codgers who P and M because it is not like it was when cars had wooden wheels and kerosene lights.

Or read meaningless stats and quote them as gospel. Morons.

If you can't handle the situation, better call Grab (or Saul !!! 555)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Depends what you mean by shooting..... I am of the opinion that Thai drivers are slow off the mark when the lights turn from red to green, BUT, they will race for a green light, and I have seen them proceed (by just tailgating the car in front) for 3-4 seconds into the time of a red light. Not so long ago a truck slaughtered a few motorcyclists at the Suk/ Nua junction doing exactly that. I myself sit at that junction waiting to turn right into Nua and see the lights being jumped by vehicles that have accelerated to do it. Waiting a few seconds after you get the green light makes sense here.

Also if there is little traffic, many jump red lights here. WIN and Grab M/Cs frequently.

The USA and UK often have cameras detecting this as a deterrent.

I certainly see more of it here than I do the UK....

My premise was that I believe that shooting lights in Thailand is not significantly worse than anywhere else in the world. 

you have just used anecdotal evidence and 2 othwr countries as examples this is not the case...I'd say that is too selective to be at all. convincing

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

My premise was that I believe that shooting lights in Thailand is not significantly worse than anywhere else in the world. 

you have just used anecdotal evidence and 2 othwr countries as examples this is not the case...I'd say that is too selective to be at all. convincing

You said anywhere else in the world. Those 2 countries are other countries in the world. I am fed up of this nonsense and will add you to my ignored list.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You said anywhere else in the world. Those 2 countries are other countries in the world. I am fed up of this nonsense and will add you to my ignored list.

I'm surprised how unable people can be to actually understand an argument let aline to respond.

It is certainly a familiar aspect with foreigners trying to understand traffic 8n Thailand. 

They seem unable to grasp both the traffic and how inadequate their interpretation is of what they see.....hence the total failure to understand a relatively simple point of view.

• Sad 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, xylophone said:

Sadly I see it it here MANY TIMES on a daily basis..........and it is not as bad as Libya or Nigeria, I grant you that, but the standard of driving here, and I have lived here for more than 15 years, is appalling.

While the standard of driving in NZ is not good, at least I've never had a driver from the opposite direction come around a blind corner in my lane, which happened to me in LOS.

It wasn't the drivers actually on the road that worried me too much though, rather it was kids on m'bikes that would drive out onto the road without looking, in rural villages.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While the standard of driving in NZ is not good, at least I've never had a driver from the opposite direction come around a blind corner in my lane, which happened to me in LOS.

It wasn't the drivers actually on the road that worried me too much though, rather it was kids on m'bikes that would drive out onto the road without looking, in rural villages.

Did you collide? End up in hospital?

I've had similar near misses...in Italy, UK and the worst (closest) in Oz. My truck wasn't touched and spart from being a little surprised, I carried on my way.