Linking two properties together (WIFI)

MJCM

We are thinking of building a "cottage" approx 140 Meters away from the main house.

What would be the easiest way to connect to the internet to the "cottage" from the main house 3BB internet connection instead of getting CAT6 cable all the way there?

Was thinking of WIFI, but will that work??

Ps: The cottage will be powered totally with Solar Energy!

Any helpful comments are greatly appreciated

:wai:

20 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Do what the Thais do - just shout !

It is for us (NOT a Rental) as it is a real nice spot (with a lake etc) and thus we always thought to make a hide-a-way there. And it would also make a great spot for family to stay at (when ever they come and visit).

I could do without the Wifi (just take a portable HDD with me with lots of Movies) but it really would be nice to have Wifi (instead of 4G)

18 minutes ago, bbko said:

Thx, I already checked my (current) Wifi signal and it doesn't even reach less then half the distance required.

We have power (to place a WIFI repeater) on the other side of the property but that is still another 100m away from the intended location of the "cottage" (but straight line of sight)

Oke another question then

Anyone know if 3BB (our current ISP) would be able to split the Fiber optic cable coming to our house and divert it to the "cottage"???? (Thinking about it, I think it would mean 2 subscriptions???

• Haha 1

I'm not sure how technical you are.  You got 2 options as I see it, that I would do.

1) Run fiber in a conduit between the locations.

2) Use some Ubiquity Equipment, to setup a Wireless link between the 2.

Do you have LoS (Line of Sight) between them ?  Or could you acheive it with a pole ?

https://www.ui.com/ -- Is the website for Ubiquity, they have great stuff that can get the job done.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx, I already checked my (current) Wifi signal and it doesn't even reach less then half the distance required.

We have power (to place a WIFI repeater) on the other side of the property but that is still another 100m away from the intended location of the "cottage" (but straight line of sight)

Oke another question then

Anyone know if 3BB (our current ISP) would be able to split the Fiber optic cable coming to our house and divert it to the "cottage"???? (Thinking about it, I think it would mean 2 subscriptions???

Technically, the fiber can be split as it has lots of capacity.  Whether they do it, would have to ask.
I would just run your own link between the 2 as per my other post.
Its doable if your somewhat technical, or know someone like that.

• Thanks 1

I have a unifi system - its expensive but imho worth it.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_AP_DS.pdf

The details may be a little out of date as there is a new wifi 6 range.

You will need some kind of software controller to setup the system, you can just run the AP from an ethernet port on your existing 3BB router or a PoE switch. 

• Thanks 2

Thx guys, really appreciated. I will have a look at the info you posted and get back

It's early planning stages because the guys who can build this for us aren't available yet and also the Solar (read: Power to the "cottage") isn't sorted yet

Thx

You need a directional antenna.

Maybe one will do the job. 

Or maybe you need directional antennae on both sites.

Google: WLAN directional antenna

and you will find DIY and ready made solutions

This is a sample. I have no idea how good or bad this antenna is.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/can-wholesale-24g-58g-12db-high-gain-wifi-enhanced-receiving-and-transmitting-signal-wireless-image-transmission-aerial-photography-directional-antenna-i2813430026-s10256371544.html

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thx, but When I try to open this I get a I am sorry page we have lost this page (404 Error it seems)

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You need a directional antenna.

Maybe one will do the job. 

Or maybe you need directional antennae on both sites.

Google: WLAN directional antenna

and you will find DIY and ready made solutions

This is a sample. I have no idea how good or bad this antenna is.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/can-wholesale-24g-58g-12db-high-gain-wifi-enhanced-receiving-and-transmitting-signal-wireless-image-transmission-aerial-photography-directional-antenna-i2813430026-s10256371544.html

Thx unfortunately both out of stock ????

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

I would do it properly and install a cable, wifi is often not really stable within a house, over such a distance it's probably just a pain in the ass.

That distance it would need a repeater and we could place one where we have power but if that is NOT enough we don't know where to place another repeater.

Fiber would be an option, but you need that special device for it

Edited by MJCM

20 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

No that is not an option, I stream movies etc from another location (old house) and use approx (see it in the Wireguard app) around 4-10 Gb a day (sometimes even more) and that is not even including Netflix etc!!

The only thing I could do is load the movies in the House on a portable HDD and then play it, but that is thus without Netflix etc !!

20 minutes ago, MJCM said:

No that is not an option, I stream movies etc from another location (old house) and use approx (see it in the Wireguard app) around 4-10 Gb a day (sometimes even more) and that is not even including Netflix etc!!

The only thing I could do is load the movies in the House on a portable HDD and then play it, but that is thus without Netflix etc !!

What does this have to do with anything? You can choose a non stop data plan. 

It's actually a good idea to have a different system in place. If your main supplier is down for any reason; you have a mobile data back up.

TOT and DTAC being the cheapest option; though best to run reception/speed tests before committing.

So my first stop would be to check if there is Band 40 reception at your place. If so, then you can look at their NT(TOT/CAT) Wireless service. Unlimited data at up to 100 Mbps for 999 baht per annum via SIM.

Second cheapest would be DTAC on Bands 1, 3 & 40. 10 Mbps & 20 Mbps from 1390 baht per annum. You need to be careful when choosing a Router as not all CA combinations are supported. So you'll need to choose one that specifically supports the network you choose.

But if you can receive sufficient speeds without CA, even better.

A 10 Mbps add-on is enough to stream Full HD media. If you can get 20 Mbps and above, then 4k might be plausible,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

What does this have to do with anything? You can choose a non stop data plan. 

It's actually a good idea to have a different system in place. If your main supplier is down for any reason; you have a mobile data back up.

TOT and DTAC being the cheapest option; though best to run reception/speed tests before committing.

So my first stop would be to check if there is Band 40 reception at your place. If so, then you can look at their NT(TOT/CAT) Wireless service. Unlimited data at up to 100 Mbps for 999 baht per annum via SIM.

Second cheapest would be DTAC on Bands 1, 3 & 40. 10 Mbps & 20 Mbps from 1390 baht per annum. You need to be careful when choosing a Router as not all CA combinations are supported. So you'll need to choose one that specifically supports the network you choose.

But if you can receive sufficient speeds without CA, even better.

A 10 Mbps add-on is enough to stream Full HD media. If you can get 20 Mbps and above, then 4k might be plausible,

1390 THB per annum??

Don't you mean per month?

I had when we build our house (before I could Fiber 3BB in) here 10Mb unlimited from AIS 4G with their white router most of the time I couldn't even open Google!! Let alone stream from Netflix or stream from my other house!  I believe it was 1500 THB per month!!

Edit: No wireless around here, we are rather far from the city so nothing here, 12Call has the best reception here and True the worst but no wireless (except my own)

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

1390 THB per annum??

I had when we build our house (before I could Fiber 3BB in) here 10Mb unlimited from AIS 4G with their white router most of the time I couldn't even open Google!! Let alone stream from Netflix or stream from my other house!  I believe it was 1500 THB per month!!

Edit: No wireless around here, we are rather far from the city so nothing here, 12Call has the best reception here and True the worst but no wireless (except my own)

Haha...you are funny ????

First of all, just having a 10 Mbps SIM does not mean you will get 10 Mbps at your given location.

If you were pulling down 10 Mbps, you would be able to stream NextFlix in Full HD with no issue.

So we are looking at issues instead with reception and hardware.

Secondly, I can see the NT Wireless thing went over your head, so let's give some more detail;  It's called NT Wireless but the Internet data is supplied via a SIM card. But your phone or router needs to have the ability to roam on Band 40 to pick up the mobile phone signal.

Thirdly, I have noted that fdsa has posted something whilst I am still composing. I am sure that he is putting your right on the costs of the annual DTAC SIM and will sign praises with regard to it ????

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

1390 THB per annum??

First thing to do, if you have an Android phone; 

Run some tests with your AIS SIM around your property and in the intended location of the cottage.

How old is your SIM and what model of Android phone is available to you for the purpose of testing?

42 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

First of all, just having a 10 Mbps SIM does not mean you will get 10 Mbps at your given location.

If you were pulling down 10 Mbps, you would be able to stream NextFlix in Full HD with no issue.

I could not even open Google sometimes so even if I get a 10Mbps add-on from the Link there is no guarantee that it will work!

Edited by MJCM

12 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

First thing to do, if you have an Android phone; 

Run some tests with your AIS SIM around your property and in the intended location of the cottage.

How old is your SIM and what model of Android phone is available to you for the purpose of testing?

I don't have an ANdroid phone sorry (i am using a iPhone 12), and the AIS sim for the 4G device has long expired. Stopped using it the day 3BB fiber internet was  installed because it was horrendously slow!! (As said before  sometimes it wouldn't even open Google)

Edit: it was called AIS 4G Home Wifi (it has 2 lan ports and of course wifi)

Edit 2: Still have the ... thing thought I threw it away

tv_1.JPG.dec80d1fcdc2a1447a10bfca9639ee74.JPG

tv_2.JPG.cfb3b2fc5948089b324ae614b450d8a7.JPG

Edited by MJCM

37 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I don't have an ANdroid phone sorry (i am using a iPhone 12), and the AIS sim for the 4G device has long expired. Stopped using it the day 3BB fiber internet was  installed because it was horrendously slow!! (As said before  sometimes it wouldn't even open Google)

Edit: it was called AIS 4G Home Wifi (it has 2 lan ports and of course wifi)

Edit 2: Still have the ... thing thought I threw it away

tv_1.JPG.dec80d1fcdc2a1447a10bfca9639ee74.JPG

tv_2.JPG.cfb3b2fc5948089b324ae614b450d8a7.JPG

That only tells us that the reception within your home was poor. Once again, if you were actually pulling down 10 Mbps, there would be no issue. There is nothing wrong with the router, only your location.

We don't need the SIM for the device. We can test using your existing SIMs.

iPhone 12 will work too: 

Record the figures at the possible location of the cottage, at four points outside your property and also inside your property.

Then we'll have a better understanding of what is available to you with AIS(if that is the network in the iPhone 12).

So we can look into possibly bringing a stronger signal from outside, inside. An outside aerial might be enough.

But best to test.

It's actually a good thing that you kept the router; as if we can obtain a strong enough signal outside and better still find a line of sight to the nearest tower; an external antenna might be a solution.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

Would this work

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fiber-optic-link-ufh9511m-single-mode-1-core-sc-sc-100m-150m-200m-250m-i1518566180-s4017012196.html

In combination with this

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/netlink-media-converter-htb-3100-ab-fiber-optic-25km-single-mode-single-fiber-wdm-rj45-ftth-2-ab-i615686022-s1168368137.html

The reason why I am asking it's single core but available in length up to 150 Meters

Edit:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/media-converter-100100mbps-300-i731884138-s1400614165.html

300 Meters ????

Edit 2:

Can Fiber optic cable be put in the same HDPE Conduit as NYY Cable (reason why I am asking is interference)

Edited by MJCM

Not too sure about the cable, you need to speak to the seller and check the spec of the converter -  but the HTB-3100 seems to do the job - at 10/100 speed.

Yes, you are OK to run your fibre down next to a power line, it won't be affected by electro magnetic interference.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1