Extension of stay : OA Visa

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not at this time.

On September 1st of 2022 it will increase to the new requirement of $100,000 or 3 million baht of coverage.

I will need to renew that insurance on April 2022 for 1 year extension ...

Is that mean i will need to have an insurance (400000/40000) until 1 september and then switch for a 3000000 one ?

Do the Immigration will give me 12 months extension with the 400000/40000 one ???

If it is the case .its that mean  I will need to change my insurance only in April 2023 ?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

Is that mean i will need to have an insurance (400000/40000) until 1 september and then switch for a 3000000 one ?

No

You will only need the one year 400/40k baht insurance valid for a year.

59 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

Do the Immigration will give me 12 months extension with the 400000/40000 one ???

You will get a 12 months extension if your insurance is valid for a year.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Has this now been confirmed by a new Police Order?

None that I have seen.

I assume they will do one before September of next year.

All I have seen nothing official about the requirements for the new OA visa applications other than embassy and official consulate websites.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No

You will only need the one year 400/40k baht insurance valid for a year.

You will get a 12 months extension if your insurance is valid for a year.

I spoke with an IO Captain that I know about these changes and he confirmed that what Joe says about the 400/40k is correct, BUT he expects most will encounter problems when they do their next extension AFTER 1 Sept ( e.g. April 2023 ) they will most likely be required to have increased their insurance from 1 Sept 2022 PLUS have the ensuing 12 months insurance at the new level. 

Even if his advice is wrong, I'm going to have my insurance at the new level, effective from May 2022 when my next extension is due, to eliminate the possibility of hassles come May 2023 should that scenario eventuate..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

There will be a large number of older people who will struggle to pay the extremely high insurance premiums demanded for those above 75 years.

Will probably be even worse than that, I fear. On the basis that these older people already subscribe to valid 40k/400k policies they will almost certainly be required to submit applications for fresh new 3m policies which no insurer will be prepared to consider solely on account of their ages (even if significantly increased premiums were, in theory, affordable in their cases). Hence their only option once their latest permissions to stay are near expiry will be one-way flights back to their home countries (assuming, of course, that they are not eligible for any other extension of stay reason such as marriage to a Thai national). 

Edited by OJAS

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not at this time.

On September 1st of 2022 it will increase to the new requirement of $100,000 or 3 million baht of coverage.

Does that also have to come from a Thai healthcare insurance provider like the 40k and 400k coverage (which I have with LMG) in addition to my foreign healthcare insurance? 

I can otherwise can get such guarantee free from my foreign healthcare insurance that I regularly use at Bumrungrad Hospital and for reimbursement for medical services by state and private hospitals that don't accept foreign insurance but will accept foreign VISA and Master Card credit cards.

45 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Will probably be even worse than that, I fear. On the basis that these older people already subscribe to valid 40k/400k policies they will almost certainly be required to submit applications for fresh new 3m policies which no insurer will be prepared to consider solely on account of their ages (even if significantly increased premiums were, in theory, affordable in their cases). Hence their only option once their latest permissions to stay are near expiry will be one-way flights back to their home countries (assuming, of course, that they are not eligible for any other extension of stay reason such as marriage to a Thai national). 

PS: Even if these older people were physically up to exiting Thailand to cancel their original non-OA visas, in order to be able to re-enter Thailand (be it through a 30-day visa exemption with a view to subsequently applying for a non-O conversion at their local immigration office, or a fresh non-O visa obtained at a Thai embassy or consulate in an adjacent country), they would almost certainly be faced with some mandatory insurance requirement which might, to all intents and purposes, be impossible to obtain in practice in their cases. I personally believe that existing Thailand Pass and Certificate Of Entry (which, I gather, still applies to (re-)entries at land borders) insurance requirements are here to stay permanently in some form or other under the COVID-19 "New Normal" here in LOS.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Hence their only option once their latest permissions to stay are near expiry will be one-way flights back to their home countries (assuming, of course, that they are not eligible for any other extension of stay reason such as marriage to a Thai national). 

They could also leave without a re-entry permit and get a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate or enter visa exempt to apply for a non-o visa at immigration to  kill the old OA visa entry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taccos said:

Would it suffice to replace the 40k outpatient/ 400k inpatient coverage with a 3mn inpatient insurance or would there still be a requirement for outpatient coverage to any degree?

The $100k or 3 million baht would cover the outpatient requirements. 

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

My alternatives, as I cannot afford to live in retirement in my own country, is to switch to a different Visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taccos said:

Would it suffice to replace the 40k outpatient/ 400k inpatient coverage with a 3mn inpatient insurance or would there still be a requirement for outpatient coverage to any degree?

When the increase of the insurance for OA visa was discussed foreign insurance was included as being possible for extensions of the entries from one.

Not sure what will be required next September. 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

PS: Even if these older people were physically up to exiting Thailand to cancel their original non-OA visas, in order to be able to re-enter Thailand (be it through a 30-day visa exemption with a view to subsequently applying for a non-O conversion at their local immigration office, or a fresh non-O visa obtained at a Thai embassy or consulate in an adjacent country), they would almost certainly be faced with some mandatory insurance requirement which might, to all intents and purposes, be impossible to obtain in practice in their cases. I personally believe that existing Thailand Pass and Certificate Of Entry (which, I gather, still applies to (re-)entries at land borders) insurance requirements are here to stay permanently in some form or other under the COVID-19 "New Normal" here in LOS.

The current corvid 19 insurance available for entry to the country is available to the age of 99 and it would only needs to be valid for the length of stay they get on entry.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
2 hours ago, Taccos said:

Expand  

The $100k or 3 million baht would cover the outpatient requirements

How do you mean this ?

The 3 million baht coverage is required for inpatient AND outpatient ?

49 minutes ago, Sato said:

How do you mean this ?

The 3 million baht coverage is required for inpatient AND outpatient ?

There would be outpatient coverage included that would be equal to or greater than 40k baht included in the policy's coverage.

There would be outpatient coverage included that would be equal to or greater than 40k baht included in the policy's coverage.

Not sure I understand. My insurance offers inpatient and outpatient coverage separately. So if I get 3mn inpatient coverage there will be no outpatient coverage - which is limited to some 160k anyway.

So in other words, using the Pacific Cross Premier Plan Plus policy as an example, this means that you can't obtain a 20% discount on premium payments for excluding outpatient cover:-

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/premier-plan/

7 minutes ago, Taccos said:

Not sure I understand. My insurance offers inpatient and outpatient coverage separately. So if I get 3mn inpatient coverage there will be no outpatient coverage - which is limited to some 160k anyway.

Please see my reply immediately above. Does your insurer offer a premium discount if you exclude outpatient cover in the same way as Pacific Cross do?

So far no changes for new applications of OA-visa. 

And is it possible to increase this in the future only for OA-visa retirement extensions ?

I mean, if it happens, it will be for all retirement extensions. 

But it's not decided yet....

19 hours ago, hakancnx said:

So far no changes for new applications of OA-visa. 

Where did you get that info. This from a embassy website (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/).

2.10 Additional health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A / O-X (Long Stay)

• Effective from 1 October 2021, the applicant must be insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
    – Health insurance must cover Covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of no less than 3,000,000 THB or $100,000 per policy year

And is it possible to increase this in the future only for OA-visa retirement extensions ?

On September 1st 2022.

I mean, if it happens, it will be for all retirement extensions. 

No

Where did you get that info. This from a embassy website (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/).

2.10 Additional health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A / O-X (Long Stay)

• Effective from 1 October 2021, the applicant must be insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
    – Health insurance must cover Covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of no less than 3,000,000 THB or $100,000 per policy year

On September 1st 2023.

No

The site says  O-A AND 0-X. i thought was only for  O-A,   Just renewed my insurance, i asked them about the 3 000 000, they said it was only for O-A, or has the DC embassy let the cat out of the bag

20 minutes ago, howerde said:

The site says  O-A AND 0-X. i thought was only for  O-A,   Just renewed my insurance, i asked them about the 3 000 000, they said it was only for O-A, or has the DC embassy let the cat out of the bag

The 10 year Non-OX visa is in the same category as a OA visa.

The higher insurance requirement for the OX visa has been shown on many website.

This from TGIA website for the insurance.

First Year Applicant

The applicant is-invalid required toast have a valid-feedback health insurance policy, either form Thai or from Overseas insurance companies, which the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD accounting for 3 million baht and it includes the treatment of Covid-19. The insurance certificate is strictly required to be presented to the immigration.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

On September 1st 2023.

No

The 400/40 insurance requirement is for applying for a OA-Visa. 

The new $ 50.000 requirement is for next step, getting a Thai Pass. 

That's how I understood the process when helping a few friends from Sweden with their applications for their Thai Pass. 

34 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

The 400/40 insurance requirement is for applying for a OA-Visa. 

The new $ 50.000 requirement is for next step, getting a Thai Pass. 

That's how I understood the process when helping a few friends from Sweden with their applications for their Thai Pass. 

If applying for a new Non-OA visa it now requires $100,000 or 3 million baht of insurance that  includes covid 19 coverage.

No need for the separate covid 19 insurance is needed to apply for the Thailand Pass. Just upload the insurance required for the OA visa insurance.