DIY Pool

Bagwain

26 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

What is really wrong is building such a ridiculous small pools just big enough to wet your feet...

Not really.  Cute doggies really don't drink that much.  Just make sure it's filled full enough.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

What is really wrong is building such a ridiculous small pools just big enough to wet your feet...

Yep, agree. 

My pool is much better, can accommodate myself and 2 lovely lady friends. 

It has the morning sun and beautiful shady trees for afternoon dips. 

Esky full of cold beers and some AC/DC on the stereo......... Happy Days 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saanim said:

Sorry, what you wrote is a utter nonsense. Besides what you see on my pictures where the walls have held over 15 years - and will surely held further on - you can see many such examples around, in case if you look around...

Most of your posts are totally nonsense & not in common English!. 

Because you are so proud of your 1 job you go about bagging profesionals that have many years of experience.

Just wrong. Nothing wrong with doing DIY if common sense is applied. In fact I have consulted on quite a few DIY pools that have saved their owners around 1/2 price. Unfortunately the original picture didn't have any common sense applied to the build. However you keep on going on about your build! 

Kitchen tiles break easily and are dangerous no matter how proud you are of your underwater garage!

Maybe you should speak to one of my customers who's daughter needed 9 stiches from broken kitchen tiles in a pool!.

Wake T/f up! 

Edited by Bagwain

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, agree. 

My pool is much better, can accommodate myself and 2 lovely lady friends. 

It has the morning sun and beautiful shady trees for afternoon dips. 

Esky full of cold beers and some AC/DC on the stereo......... Happy Days 

I see the esky. So where is ya pool and T@rts?

• Haha 1

I am sorry that the view on picture had disturbed you. That was before the wall was repainted.

No, I really do not like any "tiles" stuck on the house, even if it's not the front. 

Solar3.jpg

IMG_2632.JPG

Looks nice.

Sorry if I was rude.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Most of your posts are totally nonsense & not in common English!. 

Because you are so proud of your 1 job you go about bagging profesionals that have many years of experience.

Just wrong. Nothing wrong with doing DIY if common sense is applied. In fact I have consulted on quite a few DIY pools that have saved their owners around 1/2 price. Unfortunately the original picture didn't have any common sense applied to the build. However you keep on going on about your build! 

Kitchen tiles break easily and are dangerous no matter how proud you are of your underwater garage!

Maybe you should speak to one of my customers who's daughter needed 9 stiches from broken kitchen tiles in a pool!.

Wake T/f up! 

Is the common English recognizable when you write with errors? (just kidding...)

Yes, I am quite proud on my DIY job - not only 1, that was already one before, also with "kitchen tiles", (attaching few pictures). And my days have not been finished yet ????.

And I am not bagging professionals, just debunking statements that are not really true.

If you saved 1/2 price to somebody, does it mean that you have built it for 1.2 M (as I read here before) instead of 2.4M?  That's really an achievement.  

I do it for 10% of it, however, it's for myself, I do not get any profit.  

04040714.JPG

04041016.JPG

04061827.JPG

• Thanks 1

If you saved 1/2 price to somebody, does it mean that you have built it for 1.2 M (as I read here before) instead of 2.4M?  That's really an achievement.  

To give an example I oversaw & consulted on a 200,000 litre pool in Issan that would have come in at 4 + Million with high end dual equipment, Oxy Minerale system &  PebbleCrete surface for 2.3 m. 

Your way of doing it would not have worked! 

Is the common English recognizable when you write with errors? (just kidding...)

Yes, I am quite proud on my DIY job - not only 1, that was already one before, also with "kitchen tiles", (attaching few pictures). And my days have not been finished yet ????.

And I am not bagging professionals, just debunking statements that are not really true.

04040714.JPG

04041016.JPG

04061827.JPG

I can tell by the water that it is not filtered adequatly!

If that was a commercial pool in Australia it would be shut down with a warning to get your act in order!

This is how a pool should look!

IMG-20201227-WA0000.jpg

20201203_131037_1600x777.jpg

4.jpg

On 12/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Saanim said:

I have to disappoint the ones who are so concerned about my "kitchen tiles". When I wrote the "kitchen tiles", hasn't it kicked anybody why the "quotation marks"?

That's in a joke referring how one professional here has called it with his derogative meaning commenting one of my previous post. 

I would not know that the tiles are "kitchen tiles". I have just used what is available in such a good offer here in Thailand whether it is for kitchen or for anything else coming in contact with water. And I invite anybody who wants to find a deterioration after my 15 years of daily usage.  And I do not doubt that it will not be different after another 15 years. 

I leave the above comments to anybody's common sense.  e.g. :

-How the "kitchen tiles" can be applied to any wall - whether in kitchen or in bathroom - when they are so "thin"?

-"Aggressive" pool water? I do not swim in a water that is aggressive, maintaining the water with a minimum of chemicals, quite different what the "professionals" are recommending.  But I do not sell any pool, nor the chemicals. But even in a more aggressive water (where the pH is kept near 7 and with a high chlorine content - as professionals recommend - thinking why?) the tiles would not get any problem.

-Have any of "kitchen tiles" in your house got broken? And surely in a kitchen and in a bathroom it's much more chance of a heavy impact (casseroles are flying) than in a pool. Unless I drive in with a tank or backhoe...

BTW, you can see everywhere a number of pools that were re-tiled after 7 - 10 years, even made by professionals. Mostly, they had used special mosaic tiles for pools - no "kitchen tiles".   

Absolute nonsense reply from some one with very little experience in the pool industry.

Profesionals don't recommend what you are claiming for a start.

Water & pool water, to more of a degree is aggresive. 

You ignorance in your statement is obvious!

As is you claiming that some statements are missleading when clearly yours are!

By the way bathers don't go swimming in their kitchens & bathrooms unless in a flood! ????

3 hours ago, Bagwain said:

I can tell by the water that it is not filtered adequatly!

If that was a commercial pool in Australia it would be shut down with a warning to get your act in order!

Now I know what differs the professionals from backyard DIY builders: They have X-ray eyes, can recognize the water content without touching (tasting) the water, not speaking about some feshie measurement.

(What a good luck to be able to build a DIY swimming pool in Thailand and be allowed to swim in, even if "un-adequatly"...) 

3 hours ago, Bagwain said:

By the way bathers don't go swimming in their kitchens & bathrooms unless in a flood! 

Actually, in case I build a new house - or re-build an abandoned as the present one (the life is so short - perhaps in my next life) I would build the pool not with "kitchen tiles" 40x40cm, but with the granite-like ones 60x60cm. 

They are of very precise size and edges, allowing to be laid with zero gap as I see at some feshie clinics (just coming from one where they removed 10 stitches from my incision - exceptionally not from a broken "kitchen tile" as it usually happens in pools). Then it needs only to find some good chaang pun in the surrounding villages who can do it very precisely (as in the clinic).

Not to have any gaps will avoid any hassle with the dirt and algae settling sometimes there, especially after some time when having permanently an aggressive water that eats away the grouting within few years. (Not my case, I swim in H2O, not in a chemical solution.)

I am only not sure whether the 60x60 (as I see a great choice in Global House) will be thick enough...???? 

1 hour ago, equalizer1970 said:

There is only one issue with it. No steps to get in and out. The build is perfectly fine. 

In case you are referring to my pictures above, that pool has had steps. That's imperative for a swimming pool. That would be like buying an expensive Ben  (Mercedes Benz) but without doors, jumping over like into a buggy car... 

04091006a.jpg

12 hours ago, Saanim said:

Actually, in case I build a new house - or re-build an abandoned as the present one (the life is so short - perhaps in my next life) I would build the pool not with "kitchen tiles" 40x40cm, but with the granite-like ones 60x60cm. 

They are of very precise size and edges, allowing to be laid with zero gap as I see at some feshie clinics (just coming from one where they removed 10 stitches from my incision - exceptionally not from a broken "kitchen tile" as it usually happens in pools). Then it needs only to find some good chaang pun in the surrounding villages who can do it very precisely (as in the clinic).

Not to have any gaps will avoid any hassle with the dirt and algae settling sometimes there, especially after some time when having permanently an aggressive water that eats away the grouting within few years. (Not my case, I swim in H2O, not in a chemical solution.)

I am only not sure whether the 60x60 (as I see a great choice in Global House) will be thick enough...???? 

Incoherent gobbledegook as ususal! ????

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, Bagwain said:

Incoherent gobbledegook as ususal! ????

It depends for who...

When I decided to build my swimming pool by D-I-Y (OK, not really by my own hands, always organizing few good people from nearby villages who can follow my ingenious advice), prior to the start I had spent many hours browsing through various swimming pool forums in different languages, learning a lot from the comments and troubles. Beside valuable knowledge from experience of pool owners I had learned that many comments and advices are directed to the increase of the sale of pools and pool equipment and also of the pool chemicals. That's because most of such forums are owned by the pool equipment shops. And the advice is always maximalistic, never minimalistic. 

It starts already with the choice of pool, whether with skimmer or with overflow (OF). Since the shops (not in Thailand) rarely do the excavation and construction, they discourage from OF, they like to bring a ready made hard pool or lay different kinds of foils that make it difficult to implement the OF channels. They scare by a high construction cost of the OF system, bringing up various % of the cost increase, while they decently forget to mention that the skimmer pool is always 20 - 25 cm deeper than an OF pool, hence deeper excavation, higher walls and more foil for the portion over the water level.  And of course, the skimmers and their connecting pipes are not given free of charge and their lifetime is not unlimited. Not to speak about comparison of the leaves disposal from the water surface, having to find the long way into the swimmer(s), unlike the steady movement of the upper water layers towards the OF edge.

And they scare off by the cost of the OF tank, advising that it has to be a percentage (10-15%) of the pool volume. That's a similar nonsense like an increased water pressure on the walls when a large pool (we read here recently). The volume of the water over the edge is the same whether the pool is 1.4 m or 5 m deep.  Usually, it is 100 L per person, increased by some 100 L for the waving, splashing. (Unless I plan inviting the village elephant for daily swim.). In my OF tank (1.5x1.5m) I do not see much water level increase while 2 - 3 people swimming, the water is again pumped out. And not all waters go over the edge, the edge surface sloped inwards (in my case 40 cm tile) will return a half of the wave smoothen back into the pool,  no waves with sharp edge, well "ironed", thus no water into the nose while swimming - the biggest advantage of OF pool.  

However,  the OF tank might be larger if the space is available (in my case it is implemented under the kids pool at entrance and under the staircase). The advantage:  Having space for rain water that is brought in multiples of each mm precipitation from the pool surface, thus having free water for exchange, backwashing, bottom vacuuming. Therefore, in order to make use of rain water harvesting I keep the level in the OF tank quite low, letting the space free for a generous rainfall.