DIY Pool

Bagwain

I cannot disappoint @Bagwain when he asks so nicely for an advice of backyard 

However, I am sorry to disappoint @unheard: 

1. Red brick is a porous to water, permeable material thus is unsuitable for pools.

Although the bricks are porous, they are rendered by mortar that with addition of waterproof liquid (nam jaa) are not permeable. And once covered by tiles - even if they are "kitchen tiles" as we have read here from a professional, the whole structure keeps the water as any other impermeable one. And no matter whether it is water for a swimming pool or for fish pond or for any water storage as my pictures show..     

2. It is also a low density, un-elastic material, not suitable as a structural, load-bearing material for pools.

Yes, the bricks are not an elastic material, do we build elastic houses? However, the bricks (and my double cinder blocks as well) are load-bearing material.  Aren't they used for building structures around the world for centuries?

But not often in Thailand,.  For centuries they have built first the columns (by teak - sau mai sak). And as nowadays the teak is not so easily available they erect columns by a concrete to have a roof as soon as possible.  The walls will be made later, they are not so important, are they? 

Anyway, my pool - fish pond and water storage tank as well - have survived 2 earthquakes when the water had gone over the edge with a 10 cm wave.

019.jpg

030.jpg

042.jpg

• Like 2

Anyway, my pool - fish pond and water storage tank as well - have survived 2 earthquakes when the water had gone over the edge with a 10 cm wave.

Behind the red bricks is one layer of cinder blocks 7 cm thick, rendered by normal mortar (no kitchen tiles), for the fish and water storage.    

1208030033.JPG

07042225a.jpg

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, unheard said:

To my totally dilettante view...

1. Red brick is a porous to water, permeable material thus is unsuitable for pools.

2. It is also a low density, un-elastic material, not suitable as a structural, load-bearing material for pools.

Totally correct.

Also no rubber water stop, no steel, incorrect plumbing & no waterproof render!.

It's a shamble!

On 12/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, Saanim said:

I cannot disappoint @Bagwain when he asks so nicely for an advice of backyard 

However, I am sorry to disappoint @unheard: 

Although the bricks are porous, they are rendered by mortar that with addition of waterproof liquid (nam jaa) are not permeable. And once covered by tiles - even if they are "kitchen tiles" as we have read here from a professional, the whole structure keeps the water as any other impermeable one. And no matter whether it is water for a swimming pool or for fish pond or for any water storage as my pictures show..     

Yes, the bricks are not an elastic material, do we build elastic houses? However, the bricks (and my double cinder blocks as well) are load-bearing material.  Aren't they used for building structures around the world for centuries?

But not often in Thailand,.  For centuries they have built first the columns (by teak - sau mai sak). And as nowadays the teak is not so easily available they erect columns by a concrete to have a roof as soon as possible.  The walls will be made later, they are not so important, are they? 

019.jpg

030.jpg

042.jpg

Looking build something similar.....can I be cheeky and ask how much?

17 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Any reasons?

Kitchen tile is for kitchens

Only a total idiot would use kitchen tiles to tile a pool.

Pool tiles are .05% water permeable.

Pool tile has been specially manufactured to stand up to sunlight, changing temperatures, an aquatic environment, and constant contact with the chemicals in swimming pool water. Regular household tile -- such as bathroom and kitchen tile -- isn't designed for outdoor use and harsh chemicals.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, Saanim said:

Behind the red bricks is one layer of cinder blocks 7 cm thick, rendered by normal mortar (no kitchen tiles), for the fish and water storage.    

1208030033.JPG

07042225a.jpg

Definitely needs a little work.

Is that the front of your house in the bottom picture?  

Maybe put some kitchen tiles on the walls. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Kitchen tile is for kitchens

Only a total idiot would use kitchen tiles to tile a pool.

Pool tiles are .05% water permeable.

Pool tile has been specially manufactured to stand up to sunlight, changing temperatures, an aquatic environment, and constant contact with the chemicals in swimming pool water. Regular household tile -- such as bathroom and kitchen tile -- isn't designed for outdoor use and harsh chemicals.

Would using porcelain kitchen tiles make you a complete idiot?

When building a pool etc and you are not using a waterproof membrane then you have to pour all the concrete in one pour. If not you need to put in a 'cold joint'. I learned the hard way when having my house basement constructed. Don't say you wasn't warned.

Cold joints are formed primarily between two batches of concrete where the delivery and placement of the second batch has been delayed and the initial placed and compacted concrete has started to set. The full knitting together of the two batches of concrete under vibration to form a homogeneous mass is therefore not possible, unlike the compaction of two fresh workable batches of concrete. This could be a potential plane of weakness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK I'll bite lol ????

Single brick wall is completely inadequate for load. Doesn't matter if wire is laid through the courses in an attempt to create the illusion of structural steel) or the walls are rendered 4 inches thick! You can render those bricks till the cows come home and it won't be structurally adequate. Its not wired into the floor of the pool adequately (if at all!) which is totally wrong. Total dogs dinner.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 2

I have to disappoint the ones who are so concerned about my "kitchen tiles". When I wrote the "kitchen tiles", hasn't it kicked anybody why the "quotation marks"?

That's in a joke referring how one professional here has called it with his derogative meaning commenting one of my previous post. 

I would not know that the tiles are "kitchen tiles". I have just used what is available in such a good offer here in Thailand whether it is for kitchen or for anything else coming in contact with water. And I invite anybody who wants to find a deterioration after my 15 years of daily usage.  And I do not doubt that it will not be different after another 15 years. 

1/ Kitchen tiles are thinner and don't have enough depth for a decent amount of grout.

2/ Pool tiles are thicker & have a deeper glaze which goes over the side allowing for deep grout and some protection to stop water getting behind the glaze. (Which happens with kitchen tiles)

3/ Pool tiles stand up to aggresive pool water & weather better

4/ Once kitchen tiles break they are very sharp & dangerous.

I leave the above comments to anybody's common sense.  e.g. :

-How the "kitchen tiles" can be applied to any wall - whether in kitchen or in bathroom - when they are so "thin"?

-"Aggressive" pool water? I do not swim in a water that is aggressive, maintaining the water with a minimum of chemicals, quite different what the "professionals" are recommending.  But I do not sell any pool, nor the chemicals. But even in a more aggressive water (where the pH is kept near 7 and with a high chlorine content - as professionals recommend - thinking why?) the tiles would not get any problem.

-Have any of "kitchen tiles" in your house got broken? And surely in a kitchen and in a bathroom it's much more chance of a heavy impact (casseroles are flying) than in a pool. Unless I drive in with a tank or backhoe...

BTW, you can see everywhere a number of pools that were re-tiled after 7 - 10 years, even made by professionals. Mostly, they had used special mosaic tiles for pools - no "kitchen tiles".   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely needs a little work.

Is that the front of your house in the bottom picture?  

Maybe put some kitchen tiles on the walls. 

I am sorry that the view on picture had disturbed you. That was before the wall was repainted.

No, I really do not like any "tiles" stuck on the house, even if it's not the front. 

Solar3.jpg

IMG_2632.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

OK I'll bite lol ????

Single brick wall is completely inadequate for load. Doesn't matter if wire is laid through the courses in an attempt to create the illusion of structural steel) or the walls are rendered 4 inches thick! You can render those bricks till the cows come home and it won't be structurally adequate. Its not wired into the floor of the pool adequately (if at all!) which is totally wrong. Total dogs dinner.

Sorry, what you wrote is a utter nonsense. Besides what you see on my pictures where the walls have held over 15 years - and will surely held further on - you can see many such examples around, in case if you look around...