Some hotels now charging extra guest fee

Pravda

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've not found one in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia or China.

But then, I haven't booked into all of them yet.

I always click the one guest, then two guest box to see if there's a price difference.

Then choose two, because one was never cheaper.

I can't show you our Agoda yield control system without privacy issues, but if you want to know the real tricks to find lower prices try changing your country. Hotels can set specific rates for different markets (e.g. China) and hotels can and do adjust prices according to booker country, nationality, whatever. Single occupancy is just one of many permutations hotel marketers might employ. The fact you can't see it doesn't mean hotels are employing it. OTA content is served up to site visitors based on stored cookies, any history the site has about you, your IP, your market vertical and the prices all change on the fly. Best advice I can give is read the booking terms.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose you would also agree that a 12 year old child should pay the adult rate when sharing the same room as their parents ?

Read my post a few back up.

Most 12 year olds are getting on for the same size and weight as adults. Maybe you think the bar should be 21, or 25 maybe? So your point is what actually.

Book a larger room. Book two rooms. Book three rooms. Book whatever you need to fit the hotel policy. You don't like the hotel policy book a different hotel. The hotel will enforce their policy when you check in.

Thais are the worst by the way. We have two hotels. One of them is for mass market low rate road warriors, so you get two pick ups filled with 10 people, they all want to sleep in a room for two people, and they want a free breakfast too, or they clear out the minibar and look all surprised when they realise they have to pay for that. . . Where would you draw the line? 20 people? 30 people?

Rules, regulations, fire regs, hotel licences, profitability, it's not hard to understand but apparently is for a lot of TV posters, not the sharpest knives in the box, to be sure.

18 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

We have a big LED sign on the main road. It reads "No Belgians, and no TVF members"

Needs to be modified to be reading: No Farang Scum. 

Which just might cover everyone. 

Being helpful.

You're welcome.

CAVEAT of the Atlanta Hotel, Bangkok:

The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values.
The Atlanta does not hesitate to refuse rooms to  persons unsuited to the prevailing ethos of The Atlanta.
The Atlanta does not welcome SEX TOURISTS, and does not try to be polite about it.
Borderline cases are not given the benefit of the doubt, but are treated as sex tourists.
Those who are borderline cases should stay elsewhere.
Guests who attempt to bring in bargirls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave.
Remaining on the premises after being told to leave will be treated as a police matter.
The Atlanta does not ask for or listen to explanations or excuses, and does not apologise for the manner in which miscreants are thrown out.
The Atlanta also does not apologise for any mistakes it may be accused of having made with regard to the identification of sex tourists.
To keep The Atlanta private, secure, wholesome and sleaze-free for the kind of guests we welcome,
room guests are not permitted to take visitors / outsiders upstairs into the bulding and their rooms, or into the garden and pool area.
Exceptions may be made in appropriate circumstances at the management’s discretion.
Suitable visitors / outsiders may be entertained in the restaurant.
The Atlanta operates a  ”ZERO TOLERANCE “ policy regarding
    * TROUBLE-MAKERS,
    * POSSESSORS  AND  USERS  OF  ILLICIT DRUGS  and
    * ALL   OTHER  ILLEGAL  AND   NEFARIOUS   ACTIVITIES
‘Zero tolerance’ means that the police are called without advance warning to the miscreant, without hesitation and without apology.
Visitors who object to any of The Atlanta’s policies or  who intend to spend their time in Thailand whoring and indulging in alcohol abuse and illicit drugs should stay elsewhere. The Atlanta is not that kind of place.
Tourism is not about going on a rampage through other people’s country:  those who cannot travel abroad without behaving badly should stay home.
On these policies, The Atlanta is not interested in dissenting public opinion or what the business world calls
‘customer feedback’.
The Atlanta caters to a certain kind of clientele and that is the end of the matter. 
No discussion. No compromise

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I got my first job in a hotel aged 19. I've been in Thailand for 20 years. I never heard any hoteliers refer to anything that sounded like 'bar girl fee'. It exists in your imagination and the imagination of whormongers. If the police are called to a hotel for whatever reason (happens more than you might think, customer expired, theft, violence between couples) the police will want to see guest registration.  If this is not in order the hotel will be subject to further scrutiny, possible sanctions or fines if everything is not correct and proper. . .

Anyone in the hotel must be registered, either by law or hotel policy. The hotel staff and management couldn't give a hoot if you picked them up in a bar, or if they're your wife. They might have a snigger though if your "Wife's" ID card has นาย printed on it.

The stuff written in these topics is mostly garbage.

Sorry but your wrong on this one. Try Soi Nana, hotels there charge a fee for bringing a girl to your room. Even the Irish Pub  in Udon Thani would charge you this fee if the girl was not tegistered in your room. Many other places in Thailand do the same. Signs were in place indicating this and they wanted the girls ID card and would give it back when they left.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Rules, regulations, fire regs, hotel licences, profitability, it's not hard to understand but apparently is for a lot of TV posters, not the sharpest knives in the box, to be sure.

Did you say rules, regulations, profitability etc etc, well I know one hotel for sure that missed out on a weeks profit during these hard times for simply having a policy that I couldn't accept and that they we not flexible to negotiate on, i.e. the hotel wanting to charge my 12 year old as an adult.

Now think about it from a business point of view for a minute, now that might be hard for you, so let's go real slow, shall we.

We will assume for the pupil that the room was 2,000 baht a night x 7 nights = 14,000 baht, but the hotel wanted to charge 3,000 baht per night x 7 nights = 21,000 baht, because the child is now 12, so they risked gaining 14,000 baht for the potential of gaining an additional 7,000 baht, well that certainly looks like a bad gamble to me, did I mention they did lost and also lost my return business. I could go on and say that by going direct to them, they would have saved 17% on what they pay to Agoda or Bookings.com and others, that's 2,380 baht, so it was 14,000 baht down the drain, not 11,620 baht, glad your still with me, as I am trying, as the saying goes, some are thicker than others. 

As for TV posters in your opinion as a "sharp knife", stating that they are not the sharpest knives in the box as they don't get it, could it be that your too blunt for your own good and, it might just be you that doesn't get it.

You see, I did mention that due to my thinking outside of the box I managed to get us a weeks accommodation in the 5 star hotel for less than what the 3 star wanted to charge us.

I call that good negotiating on the hotels part because they can see that I am a repeat customer and the risk of losing me over a trivial thing as charging my 12 year old child would be too high a risk, so they took the win/win route, a gamble that paid off IMO.

The 5 star read the customers email and, understood that the policy was just that, a policy, which can be flexible, it is not a regulation handed down by the government, for example, the hotel must take a copy of the farangs passport, which I can appreciate is not up for negotiation, it's a regulation and penalties apply if they don't adhere to them.

I'm surprised that you can't even see the above for what it is, being the alleged sharper knife in the box on TV Forum that you so claim to be, not sharp enough to also see the name change some time ago to, ASEAN NOW.

Nite ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Thais are the worst by the way. We have two hotels. One of them is for mass market low rate road warriors, so you get two pick ups filled with 10 people, they all want to sleep in a room for two people, and they want a free breakfast too, or they clear out the minibar and look all surprised when they realise they have to pay for that. . . Where would you draw the line? 20 people? 30 people?

If you are catering for 'low rate road warriors' then you shouldn't complain when people who dont match your expectations of high social standing turn up.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

I don't know what are you people talking about. What a hell is a joiner fee? I'm talking about booking a room for 2 people (me and my wife) and getting charged extra guest fee. I've never seen this in Thailand. Ever.

If you book a room for two with two named people in booking no hotel in the world will ever charge a guest fee.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

i.e. the hotel wanting to charge my 12 year old as an adult.

Wait, what, you mean, like just about every hotel???...
https://www.agoda.com/info/what-is-the-hotel-policy-for-children.html?cid=1844104#:~:text=The normal hotel policy is,extra bed is usually required.

Having a family costs money right. Oh the world is so unfair.

34 minutes ago, sungod said:

If you are catering for 'low rate road warriors' then you shouldn't complain when people who dont match your expectations of high social standing turn up.

No complaints. they're asked to book five rooms, or leave.
Oh the world is so unfair, hotels having house rules. Oh the humanity.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What your discussing is what's called the Bar girl fee and for the supposed extra security of holding on to their ID cards. Your not talking g about extra charges for a booking g of less than staying.

It's actually called a joiners fee, and you usually pay it when bringing a girl back to the room, that said, I used to get around it because before booking, I would ask the hotel to waive it and if the wouldn't I would move on to another hotel that would, so having the email stopped anyone thinking they could charge me for the joiner fee, so they would take the girls ID, and if asked for a joiner fee, I would produce the email, which was rare as they knew.

It is a scam to me, remembering one hotel in the early days saying the joiner fee is a deterrent for people not to bring the lady's back, right I said, but you will take the money right instead of stopping it.

I recall many years ago my wife was in Thailand a week before me to see family up north and I was flying in from abroad to Phuket and told her that I would meet her at the hotel as her flight would land an hour after mine, plus the taxi in, another 45 minutes, I could be in the hotel showered and ready to go out when she arrived.

Checked into the hotel and told the lassie that my wife would be joining me shortly, that all worked out well, until we returned at 3am from a night out and the change of guard, we approached the reception area, I asked for the key to my room and the guy said something to my wife as he handed me the key, and I had no idea what was said or happening, but my wife's voice was raised and the kid behind the counter put his tail between his legs quick smart and he was in the wai position with his head down to my wife all the time till mumbling to the wife till we entered the lift and the doors closed.

I said to the wife what was that all about, and she said nothing, I said I heard a few raised words that you said to him and you hitting him on the head in a playful way.

She said well he arked me for my ID card, and I said to her, well why didn't you give it to him, she said, I registered when I arrived, and he didn't know that I am marry to you, he think I working girl, and I told him that I was marry now and retired, so he should pay more attention, and I call him ting tong and I smack him on the head, that's all.

Next morning when we went for breakfast she walked over and handed him the key and he would wai to her again with his head down all the time, at the breakfast table, I said to her, what did you say to him, she said she told him relax brother, I won't tell your boss.

True story ????

5 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Wait, what, you mean, like just about every hotel???...
https://www.agoda.com/info/what-is-the-hotel-policy-for-children.html?cid=1844104#:~:text=The normal hotel policy is,extra bed is usually required.

Having a family costs money right. Oh the world is so unfair.

You really don't get it do you, the same room, being a family room with a double bunk which we stayed at for many years previously and all of a sudden the 12 year old can not longer stay in a family room with the double bunk, so we must upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite, give me a break !

Having a family does cost money and I will save money when the opportunity arises, better in my pocket than theirs, as for the world being unfair, maybe for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You obviousely didn't read my post. Hotels sell room nights, not PAX. If you have such a fundamental misunderstanding of hotel operations you should just stop talking.

I'm not talking but I am writing to espouse a viewpoint that over recent years has become a major concern for independent travellers and single travellers. However you seek to justify the overcharging of single people based on pax, policy or procedure there is a groundswell of opinion about this injustice and a campaign against it.  Therefore it is something that I most definitely should talk about and write about. And I will continue to do so to help raise people's awareness. It's bad enough being shafted by paying double but it's rubbing salt in the wound to asked to pay again for some ripp off 'guest charge' or 'joiner fee'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LarrySR said:

CAVEAT of the Atlanta Hotel, Bangkok:

The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values.
The Atlanta does not hesitate to refuse rooms to  persons unsuited to the prevailing ethos of The Atlanta.
The Atlanta does not welcome SEX TOURISTS, and does not try to be polite about it.
Borderline cases are not given the benefit of the doubt, but are treated as sex tourists.
Those who are borderline cases should stay elsewhere.
Guests who attempt to bring in bargirls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave.
Remaining on the premises after being told to leave will be treated as a police matter.
The Atlanta does not ask for or listen to explanations or excuses, and does not apologise for the manner in which miscreants are thrown out.
The Atlanta also does not apologise for any mistakes it may be accused of having made with regard to the identification of sex tourists.
To keep The Atlanta private, secure, wholesome and sleaze-free for the kind of guests we welcome,
room guests are not permitted to take visitors / outsiders upstairs into the bulding and their rooms, or into the garden and pool area.
Exceptions may be made in appropriate circumstances at the management’s discretion.
Suitable visitors / outsiders may be entertained in the restaurant.
The Atlanta operates a  ”ZERO TOLERANCE “ policy regarding
    * TROUBLE-MAKERS,
    * POSSESSORS  AND  USERS  OF  ILLICIT DRUGS  and
    * ALL   OTHER  ILLEGAL  AND   NEFARIOUS   ACTIVITIES
‘Zero tolerance’ means that the police are called without advance warning to the miscreant, without hesitation and without apology.
Visitors who object to any of The Atlanta’s policies or  who intend to spend their time in Thailand whoring and indulging in alcohol abuse and illicit drugs should stay elsewhere. The Atlanta is not that kind of place.
Tourism is not about going on a rampage through other people’s country:  those who cannot travel abroad without behaving badly should stay home.
On these policies, The Atlanta is not interested in dissenting public opinion or what the business world calls
‘customer feedback’.
The Atlanta caters to a certain kind of clientele and that is the end of the matter. 
No discussion. No compromise

this Atlanta place sounds like a godawfully boring place. where is it so I can avoid it? 

54 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

as for the world being unfair, maybe for you.

A ha! Well I know the world is unfair, fat people pay the same as me for air travel. If I had my way tickets would be charged by the kilo. I'm sure many will disagree with me (fat people) and I'm sure many will agree (thin people???). . . but your kid turning 12, well, that just life mate. Hotels start charging. Get over it.

45 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm not talking but I am writing to espouse a viewpoint that over recent years has become a major concern for independent travellers and single travellers.

Recent years? What is this nonsense? Hotels have been sold on a room/night basis forever, and each room type has an occupancy limit. Maybe you could show me some evidence of this shift in the industry.

11 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

A ha! Well I know the world is unfair, fat people pay the same as me for air travel. If I had my way tickets would be charged by the kilo. I'm sure many will disagree with me (fat people) and I'm sure many will agree (thin people???). . . but your kid turning 12, well, that just life mate. Hotels start charging. Get over it.

Would you let your 12 year old pop off for the night on their own and stay in a hotel?

Stupid question. No. . . but if you want to apply this sort of logic, would you make your 12 year old sit in the room by themselves while you go to eat breakfast because you were too cheap to pay the extra for the room? Maybe you think hotels shouldn't charge for that. Maybe you think hoteliers should subsidise you having a family by feeding them, for free? . . . or would you just take a ziplock bag and ponse it from the buffet and sneak it back to the room?

11 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Stupid question. No. . . but if you want to apply this sort of logic, would you make your 12 year old sit in the room by themselves while you go to eat breakfast because you were too cheap to pay the extra for the room? Maybe you think hotels shouldn't charge for that. Maybe you think hoteliers should subsidise you having a family by feeding them, for free? . . . or would you just take a ziplock bag and ponse it from the buffet and sneak it back to the room?

No, I'm very happy to pay for every member of my family to eat breakfast.

But if hotels charge full rate for 12 year olds, do they allow 12 year old children to book rooms and rock up on their own and stay for the night without their parents?

No. Most hotels have an age policy for group lead of 18, sometimes 21 but I think you know this already and you're trying to use some silly logic to decry hotels making parents pay to travel with their kids. When children turn 12 they're using pretty much the same hotel resources as an adult, why most hotels have this policy. . .

It's worth mentioning that ANY licenced hotel, in order to obtain and maintain their license, must display both their rack rates, their BAR rates, and their house policies. This is to prevent rougue staff ripping customers off etc etc. . . another reason to stay at licensed hotels (i.e. ones that expect to see your passport, DUH)

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

When children turn 12 they're using pretty much the same hotel resources as an adult

Conversely, when children turn 12 they're using pretty much the same hotel resources as they were aged 11¾, so 4MyEgo is justified in taking his business elsewhere, and the hotel just looks stupidly inflexible.

All hotels have rules and guidelines.  Good hotels know how and when to apply them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Good hotels know how and when to apply them.

... You can try using that line when they decide to apply the terms of the booking. Bad hotel, BAAAD HOTEL!

It's funny, guests demand hotels adhere to the terms of the booking when it suits them, but don't feel obliged to be adherent themselves. Travellers like those complainants in this topic seem to expect the moon on a stick, and want someone else to pay for it.

"My child is 11 years and 364 days old, you must feed and accommodate them for free."

... ( But let's blur the lines when it suits us pretend the rule doesn't apply later).

Or. . .

"Look, I know I'm using the entire room, but I'm only sleeping on one side of the bed, why are you charging for the whole room, you BAAAAD HOTEL! It SOOOO unfair you're making me pay for the side of the bed I didn't use"

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

... You can try using that line when they decide to apply the terms of the booking. Bad hotel, BAAAD HOTEL!

Humorous response but I notice you didn't disagree with my point.  Maybe you're learning something useful from this thread that'll enhance your business?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

Conversely, when children turn 12 they're using pretty much the same hotel resources as they were aged 11¾, so 4MyEgo is justified in taking his business elsewhere, and the hotel just looks stupidly inflexible.

All hotels have rules and guidelines.  Good hotels know how and when to apply them.

Sorry but on this point i must disagree, the line has to be drawn somewhere and if you look at agoda you can see that is 12. 

What is next, my kid is sick so they don't eat and so I dont want to pay for breakfast.

Sometimes you have to stick to certain rules otherwise you have to make constant changes and things become arbitrair. 

Its up to you to find a solution or a hotel that has a different rule for children. But to ask a hotel to change his rules for you. Then it will happen for the next and the next. Then why make rules at all. Plus then you get why did she get it and he did not.

Just look ahead and see what applies don't assume make a call write an email. Then you know what is what and can plan accordingly. I like to keep to the rules I set but I do make exceptions but not often better say almost never. Because once you start there is no end to it.  (my rules are not those of a hotel but just rules i set up for my business)

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Did you say get over it.....lol, I was over it as soon as the 5 star hotel acknowledged that they would accept our 12 year old as a child and not as an adult as per their hotel policy, i.e. they accepted that we didn't need to go to a higher room rate as the room we had previously stayed in, i.e. the 42m2 room with sofa bed that has a queen size mattress was adequate for two children to sleep in, as was the case on the two previous stays.

The thing you obviously don't understand is that during the pandemic, businesses, especially the hotel industry which you claim to work in, have suffered enormously, and if they want to continue to suffer, all they have to do is continue to try and want to charge my 12 year old as an adult as far as I am concerned.

The 3 star lost the our return business, that is the end of it, gone, dusted, never to return, the 5 star on the other hand retained it's repeat customer business.

I think you must work in 3 star because you certainly come across as someone who doesn't live in the real world, because no matter how much one try's to explain to you how it works, you still keep the blinkers on.

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Sorry but on this point i must disagree, the line has to be drawn somewhere and if you look at agoda you can see that is 12. 

What is next, my kid is sick so they don't eat and so I dont want to pay for breakfast.

Sometimes you have to stick to certain rules otherwise you have to make constant changes and things become arbitrair. 

Its up to you to find a solution or a hotel that has a different rule for children. But to ask a hotel to change his rules for you. Then it will happen for the next and the next. Then why make rules at all. Plus then you get why did she get it and he did not.

Just look ahead and see what applies don't assume make a call write an email. Then you know what is what and can plan accordingly. I like to keep to the rules I set but I do make exceptions but not often better say almost never. Because once you start there is no end to it.  (my rules are not those of a hotel but just rules i set up for my business)

The thing one has to ask is who makes these policies up, e.g. children over 12 pay adult rate.

That is like going to a cinema with the family and the cinema staff saying your 12 year old child has to pay an adult rate, why, she paid as a child last year and the year before that. No logic behind it.

Let me be clear, at both hotels, the 3 star and the 5 star I have stayed in the rooms fit to accommodate 4 people, the 3 star calls the room a "family room" it has a double bed and a bunk bed, up and down for the two kids. The 5 star has a queen bed and a sofa bed which folds out to a queen size mattress, and when we have booked the above room, we have applied the breakfast rate, so we all eat breakfast.

Now all of a sudden because one of the children turns 12, neither of those rooms are suitable, why ?

Did the 12 year old become to heavy for the bed, eats more at breakfast which is included in the room rate. No logic, like the cinema example.

It is not about breakfast, it is about trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes, seriously, what has changed, she eats the same, in fact she is not a breakfast eater, a yogurt before school and that's it, I am the one telling her to eat when at breakfast at the hotel because it is paid for by me, e.g. the room rates are cheaper if you don't include breakfast, however I when on holidays, I like to eat at the hotel vs going out to look for a 99 baht breakfast and the hotel breakfasts are more or less eat what you want and how much you want and anyone with kids, knows they don't eat much, as for the parents, well it's dig in till your belly hurts....lol

In business, if your not flexible, you will not survive and when your business is suffering, if you think you might loss that customer as opposed to keeping that customer, you will do what it takes, fortunately the 5 star saw the light as opposed to the 3 star, it's either a win/win or a loss, because as the person who holds the cash, businesses need the injection of cash and repeat business, not to mention referral to stay in business.

I am not out to screw businesses, especially hotels that have had it tough, but I will look for the logic and if I don't see it will query it and if there is no logic, then it's up to me to move on, or the hotel to see that the customer is right for the benefit of keeping the customer in this instance.

Edit: A Policy is a system of guidelines there to achieve a rational outcome. It is an statement of intent, and is implemented as a procedure or protcol, it shouldn't be a steadfast rule, it has to be flexible in business situations.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

The thing one has to ask is who makes these rules, e.g. children over 12 pay adult rate.

That is like going to a cinema with the family and the cinema staff saying your 12 year old child has to pay an adult rate, why, she paid as a child last year and the year before that. No logic behind it.

Let me be clear, at both hotels, the 3 star and the 5 star I have stayed in the rooms fit to accommodate 4 people, the 3 star calls the room a "family room" it has a double bed and a bunk bed, up and down for the two kids. The 5 star has a queen bed and a sofa bed which folds out to a queen size mattress, and when we have booked the above room, we have applied the breakfast rate, so we all eat breakfast.

Now all of a sudden because one of the children turns 12, neither of those rooms are suitable, why ?

Did the 12 year old become to heavy for the bed, eats more at breakfast which is included in the room rate. No logic, like the cinema example.

It is not about breakfast, it is about trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes, seriously, what has changed, she eats the same, in fact she is not a breakfast eater, a yogurt before school and that's it, I am the one telling her to eat when at breakfast at the hotel because it is paid for by me, e.g. the room rates are cheaper if you don't include breakfast, however I when on holidays, I like to eat at the hotel vs going out to look for a 99 baht breakfast and the hotel breakfasts are more or less eat what you want and how much you want and anyone with kids, knows they don't eat much, as for the parents, well it's dig in till your belly hurts....lol

In business, if your not flexible, you will not survive and when your business is suffering, if you think you might loss that customer as opposed to keeping that customer, you will do what it takes, fortunately the 5 star saw the light as opposed to the 3 star, it's either a win/win or a loss, because as the person who holds the cash, businesses need the injection of cash and repeat business, not to mention referral to stay in business.

I am not out to screw businesses, especially hotels that have had it tough, but I will look for the logic and if I don't see it will query it and if there is no logic, then it's up to me to move on, or the hotel to see that the customer is right for the benefit of keeping the customer in this instance.

You are being irrational because you don't like the rule. If its a commonly accepted rule as the poster said that it was even mentioned on Agoda. This means its an industry standard. Same goes for movie theaters. Same goes for many entertainment parks. Some rules have to be set.

If you don't like the rules then go to a place that does not follow those rules. You can't fault people for following an industry standard. When you start deviating and being to flexible you might as well have no rules. Like oh lets do this building inspections this time like this and other time like that. You can't do that you need to set certain rules.

Now if enough people complain about those hotel rules and go to hotels that don't apply those rules then things change. Same goes for airlines at a certain age they will have to pay more. Now if they started to become flexible you would get endless debates and discussions.

If you can't see that you probably have never run a business. Your family room for instance, what if you say but a kid and an adult are the same why can't we have 3 there. I mean the debates will rage forever. So there will be some rules that the majority of the industry follows. Some might deviate and if that means they get more customers then maybe the standard will change.

The whole reason to follow rules it to not get in endless discussions. That is a different thing from not being flexible. Just imagine the reviews.. i got kid rate.. for my 13 year old.. other person does not get it starts to compain did not know what your circumstances where ect ect. If you can't see that then sorry lets say agree to disagree.

Do you ever go to water parks or amusement parks with your kid ? Some use a height as a marker other age. Thing is there has to be some kind of rule. 

I am making no statement about how correct the rules are just telling you why rules are in place.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just take my case for instance, i normally want my money from clients in 30 days. I deviate from it at times if clients have problems. But my clients dont communicate on a forum or review site about my services.

Otherwise I would be in trouble as they would all think they got the same rights while the situation might be different. Rules are there also te protect employees from getting into endless discussions. But last time employee A gave me that discount why don't you  (talking to employee B) Could be a total lie and trying it out. Rules are there for multiple reasons.

Like i said im not discussing if the rules your talking about are good or bad, but if you don't like them just go somewhere where they don't apply them.