Buying Land In My Daughters name

Can I Buy land in Thailand in my daughters name, I am from the UK she is Thai/British but I have full custardy. We have just entered LOS and I'm on a tourist visa but I will be converting to a family visa when the time comes if that is relevant? Thanks.

Yes you can, but you need to check the land office will do it.

Some land offices just refuse.

There's a recent thread where a foreign chap wanted to buy a house for his Thai child.

The land office refused without his former wife's permission when he attempted the purchase.

He lost the deposit on the house.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

There will need to be an adult guardian for the land until the child becomes a legal adult at age 20.

The guardian cannot sell the land or use it for collateral for a loan without the court's permission. The courts are known for doing what's in the best interest of the child in such cases, not the adult guardian trying to sell it.

There have been instances of the guardian getting control through fake signatures and bent officers etc.

I always presumed the guardian needs to be a Thai adult.

I read that this wasn't correct and the foreign parent can indeed be the guardian, but of this I am not sure but am interested in finding out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cliveuk said:

Can I Buy land in Thailand in my daughters name...

Yes you can, but it might be extremely difficult to sell or change anything, before your daughter is of age, 20 years in Thailand.

Therefore, make all servitudes and like before transferring the land to your daughter's name, which can be agreements like habitation - i.e. usufruct or superficies or plain habitation right - or permission to build anything on the land, i.e. superficies needed for a building permission...????

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes you can, but you need to check the land office will do it.

Some land offices just refuse.

There's a recent thread where a foreign chap wanted to buy a house for his Thai child.

The land office refused without his former wife's permission when he attempted the purchase.

He lost the deposit on the house.

That's because he didn't have sole custody which means both parents must sign. OP started he has full custody so only his signature is needed for all official business conducted on behalf of the child ie issue a passport, id card, enrolment to school etc. 

• Like 1

This is 16 years ago but here's my story.  It's possible the rules have changed since then. 

When my Thai wife passed away in 2005 my oldest son was 19.  He has Thai citizenship along with a passport and Thai ID card.  We were told very explicitly that he needed to be 20 before ownership could be transferred to his name.  When he turned 20 we came back to Thailand and everything was transferred to his name.  It was fairly easy but you do need to round up all the documents they require.  We now have relatives living there who pay a very small rent on a lease just to make sure it stays in our name.  You know how Thailand has squatters rights.  

I doubt that he or his younger brother will ever return to Thailand to live.  They both have very good careers in the west.  

• Like 1