British Airways suspends all flights to Bangkok until Oct 2022

webfact

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:
8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Most informed British travelers avoided BA.

Probably the worst direct flight from the UK out of the bunch and generally most expensive.   No loss. 

It was always one of the cheapest for flights starting in Bangkok,certainly of the direct ones,so yes a loss by virtue of reduced competition and higher fares from others

8 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Dreadful bad- service outdated airline. Would have folded years ago but for that foreign takeover. Can’t fault safety record though…… only used BA once LDN -  BKK direct when EVA strike cancelled my flight. THAI just as bad. Best to fly EVA or with one stopover via Europe or Gulf.

One thing it wasn’t was unprofitable. £2 billion profit pre pandemic and BA is by far the largest contingent of IAG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Yes, made the “safety record” point in my post here. Best Pilots around , many ex military …..one BA flight landed perfectly with ALL engines out.

BUT all aspects of their non- technical long haul service were uniformly dreadful…. had three bad experiences 99-02. Stopped using BA long haul.

In the US  a flight landed perfectly with ALL engines out. In the Hudson river.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Also big shares owned by a Spanish company on the tarmac they take off from, nothing to do with us Brits lol

You are wrong. When BA merged with Iberia, British's share in the new company was close to 60%. As BA was the bigger, two times bigger than Iberia in that time. 

BA by definition is still a British company. Otherwise it will loose all US routes authority. BA's parent IAG is registered in Spain but it does not mean a thing. That is because, IAG does not own BA as a whole. It is a holding company that holds certain percentage of BA entity. For instance, BA pension funds, BA treasury and AABA holdings (a joint holding company between American Airlines and British Airways) all owns shares of BA (not IAG). 

Modern company structure is very complicated. BA as a business is still considered as a British company. IAG is not exactly BA, BA is not exactly IAG. The two companies are not the same although related. You have to imagine BA and Iberia as two half-brothers. They may share a same mother (IAG), but they have two different fathers (UK and Spain) and live in different household. 

Edited by ChC1

first off this article implies that thailand is at fault and BA does not want to come her when in fact  BA is out of money  and no biz      

how many times do the other governments  repeat the same craap over and over when will they learn ?

open up country  covid runs rampant   close country  lowers cases open up AGAIN cases rise  AGAIN   

i swear  these politicians need to go away and let the medical community run it all 

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit more difficult now for the uber-rich British tourists to get here.

Which airline will be the next one to cancel?

Any other ideas TAT?

I will just have to dust off my Gulfstream VIP with custom interior but it will restrict the number of my Italian super-model girlfriends I can bring with me. Drat!

54 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

You are wrong. When BA merged with Iberia, British's share in the new company was close to 60%. As BA was the bigger, two times bigger than Iberia in that time. 

BA by definition is still a British company. Otherwise it will loose all US routes authority. BA's parent IAG is registered in Spain but it does not mean a thing. That is because, IAG does not own BA as a whole. It is a holding company that holds certain percentage of BA entity. For instance, BA pension funds, BA treasury and AABA holdings (a joint holding company between American Airlines and British Airways) all owns shares of BA (not IAG). 

Modern company structure is very complicated. BA as a business is still considered as a British company. IAG is not exactly BA, BA is not exactly IAG. The two companies are not the same although related. You have to imagine BA and Iberia as two half-brothers. They may share a same mother (IAG), but they have two different fathers (UK and Spain) and live in different household. 

Who is talking about BA if you read my post, I was not, its about The Tarmac...Runway...BAA Airport Heathrow, sold out years ago..So my friend a wasted reply.

Edited by Jiggo

6 hours ago, david555 said:

So you do not have your own airline anymore ?....., any other international flying one ? ????

Only the Royal Air Force fully funded by the British taxpayer, and the best.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Eventually the reduced international travel will result in the near collapse of the airline industry and you'll be able to pick up a slightly used Boeing 777 for the price of a caravan.

That's only because the price of caravans is going through the roof as everyone is holidaying at home. ????

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Most informed British travelers avoided BA.

Used to fly with them all the time , the cabin crew aren’t shy with the booze! Nothing but good things to say about BA myself but it’s been a while as I stopped using them when the 747 was stopped being used on the Lon/Bangkok route.  Well they have entirely scrapped the 747 now.   I’m flying out from the UK Dec 28th with Thai……well I think I am .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

the UK media feeding frenzy is already in overdrive about "case" numbers..  Omicron death rates are not often mentioned (probably because they haven't found enough yet.)

The UK tests so many people every day... they deserve the high "case" rates.......  the constant news will make it easy for the asians to shut out the farang

Exactly. All those people who get it and would never known …know. Testing I get but we are obsessed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Aeroflop was the cheapest airline I've used remember something like half price of others but also the last time I would ever use it.

Maybe it's was better later mostly used by backpackers I found. 

My experience UK to Bkk flying Aeroflop 2002 took 3days, Bkk to UK took 5days had a great time in Moscow airport the draught Guinness was great and they took a credit card. ????

That reminds me of a similar run in the early 2000s. Had a 3 hour layover at Moscow and then onto this DC10 replica to BKK. When it throttled up, the whole plane shook quite violently and continued to do that until we were well clear of the ground. Several of the overhead lockers flew open but this all seemed quite normal to the seasoned weightlifters on board, who carried on their trolley duties manfully....  I also recall the 'Irish pub' in the airport had the most un-Irish and grumpy barman ever. He could even make the Guinness go flat in seconds.

ADDED...  Apologies for such a similar locker story. Had only got to page 4 of comments.. It was certainly one of my more 'exciting' flights.

Edited by mrfill
Apology added
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

They've all got Omicron so best they stay away.

Naff orf!!! ????

Mind you the BA customers are lucky..... they can get refunds and book on a decent airline! ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chivas said:

One point though (and they're far from awful just another internet myth perpetuated this last 20 years that has now become an internet fact instead)

If you're in the air and the aircraft goes Tech what airline and flight crew would you want to be on to give you the best possible chance of getting safely to the ground.............................British Airways every time.

Now imagine you're on Thai International with Somchai and his bike spanners

A lot of Emirates and Qatar crews are former BA-trained.....just sayin' like ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Possibly the worse airline ever. I travelled with them once, never again!

They make American airlines look good and that's saying something....

Try American again. You probably haven't in years I bet. Took a couple flights this year Boston and NYC to Florida.  Nice new planes, always on time, great services Jet Blue is good too. They code share as well.  

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Best of British fails the Brits, but what are people moaning about how bad it is for Thailand. Instead of being outraged at a Brit company.

I mean looks bad for a company to do such a thing. Bad times a head. I read today the UK is overrun by by covid. Not much different in the Netherlands there is full lockdown. 

I have the right to moan as I paid for a holiday 2 years ago and had to postpone it last March.

I had hoped to use my BA voucher in March.April next year but now can't.

It's not bad for Thailand but bad for me.

• Haha 1