British Airways suspends all flights to Bangkok until Oct 2022

webfact

We will recover by 2025 - tourism  Industry remain a challenge - all no name hotels either will close / convert to rental or 7/11. Tough times ahead. Best way to fly imo is via Europe as you get longest time in the plane to rest at least at night. Day time ok via Middle East. 2x6-6.5 hours 

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit more difficult now for the uber-rich British tourists to get here.

Which airline will be the next one to cancel?

Any other ideas TAT?

Nothing whatsoever to do with TAT.

BA haven't really cancelled anything, they have just re-routed and the OP is nothing more than a tidying up exercise. Passengers can change their flight or get a refund.

Qatar is in the same group as BA and they helped out BA during the strike with aircraft and crew.

BA has been flying to BKK via Qatar for some time and with climate change coming into the equation I would be surprised if they ever go back to direct flights.

Rationalising costs will be the name of the game going forward.

There was item on the BBC news last week about the booster jabs, the woman doing the needle work was BA cabin crew, Boris's contribution to the national airline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oracle2022 said:

The UK is very highly vaccinated and all with AZ and Pfizer and Moderna.

No Sinorubbish.

If Omicron is generating lots of cases in the UK - then in Sinovaccine Thailand its going to be twice as bad at least........prepare now.

Nonsense, it spreads like crazy in the UK because a lot of people refuse to wear masks. 

It doesn't spread quickly here at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing whatsoever to do with TAT.

BA haven't really cancelled anything, they have just re-routed and the OP is nothing more than a tidying up exercise. Passengers can change their flight or get a refund.

Qatar is in the same group as BA and they helped out BA during the strike with aircraft and crew.

BA has been flying to BKK via Qatar for some time and with climate change coming into the equation I would be surprised if they ever go back to direct flights.

Rationalising costs will be the name of the game going forward.

There was item on the BBC news last week about the booster jabs, the woman doing the needle work was BA cabin crew, Boris's contribution to the national airline.

Boris actually contributes to something other than his own pocket????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

They must have taken a long hard look at the prospects for any resurgence in tourism here...

More to do with being unable to compete in the long-haul, non-stop sector when the mid-east carriers can easily overfill their flights to Bangkok, Phuket and OTHER FAR EAST DESTINATIONS with their feeder flights from Africa, Europe, Lat Am and even the US west coast. No doubt BA's ongoing, busy code share with Qatar is working just fine.

It's not all about Thailand's shattered tourist dreams no matter how much most people here seem to want things to be.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Eventually the reduced international travel will result in the near collapse of the airline industry and you'll be able to pick up a slightly used Boeing 777 for the price of a caravan.

Caravans are going through the roof in price now due to people not flying anywhere. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would argue a book with confidence program involve no risk of flight cancellation. 

Hope they don’t take ‘months’ to refund like all other carriers have during Covid. 

An airline which does this looses loyalty as future confidence in the carrier wanes. 

Meanwhile other carriers offer reliable solutions (i.e. Finn / Emirates/ Qatar), not direct, but reliable. 

Does this also mean the UK thinks Thailand is going to remove it from the Covid green list ??? 

Finnair gave us our refund in 5 days for this year's cancellation. 

Last year's from Thai Air took nearly a year.  And that was only after I got it back through credit card charge back when they weren't responding to me.  

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

They must have taken a long hard look at the prospects for any resurgence in tourism here...

If you read the entire post, it seems that this is just part of a massive flight cutting programme by BA that's not limited to flights between the UK and Thailand.

A lot of Etihad's flights around Christmas time for example are sold out, I don't think you can base your predictions on one airline.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit more difficult now for the uber-rich British tourists to get here.

Which airline will be the next one to cancel?

Any other ideas TAT?

I bet a lot of airlines are very carefully planning their 2022 programme... they won't be coming to Bangkok empty, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No point flying empty.

I actually wonder whether BA could have negotiated a 1 arrival per week deal with the BKK airport. I'm pretty sure they could fill most of the plane once a week and it would also keep the plane in at least some running condition. They must have hundreds of planes that could do with some long haul testing after a year. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

If people actually take the time to look at numbers they will see that whilst the UK posted a record 93,000 positives on Friday - probably due to extreme rising in testing never seen in other countries - it has been conveniently left out by the doom-mongering news outlets the fact that the deaths from related covid was the lowest on a Friday for EIGHTEEN WEEKS. 

UK Friday deaths

17/12 = 111
10/12 = 120
3/13 = 143
26/11 = 160
19/11 = 157
12/11 = 145
5/11 = 193
29/10 - 186
22/10 - 180
15/10 = 145
8/10 = 146
1/10 =127
24/9 = 180
17/9 = 178
10/9 = 147
3/9 = 121
27/8 = 133
20/8 = 114

Exactly. I've said this time and time again...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Lol, British Airways is an old and somewhat crappy airline, many people gave up flying with them a decade ago.

Whenever I previously flew I preferred KLM or Lufthansa with a transit stop in either Amsterdam or Frankfurt but routing changes at Lufthansa and the KLM Air France merger really messed with the schedules which didn't suit me.

I haven't been back since.

The problem is (like any company) is that they have lost their reputation.

It used to a privledge, sort of, flying with BA back in the 70's and 80's but they never kept up with the times nor did they attract the younger crowd who ended up on package holidays in Ibiza . Easyjet gave them a broken and bloody nose which they never really recovered from.

But I have to say, flying on BA was much more preferable to flying on KLM - I heard they still use reclining seats on biz. long haul, maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

That BA run to Thailand has gone down over the years, but it was direct and had decent departure times. They will see that Thai tourism is going nowhere at the moment. Another wake up call for the junta, not that they’d care less. 

Just an aside, I flew on the last BA 747 back to London years ago. What a plane that was...