British Airways suspends all flights to Bangkok until Oct 2022

webfact

Just now, robblok said:

I made the mistake, heard it was Spanish owned. I usually fly with EVA, not sure if i ever used KLM. 

But really I don't care what country an airline is from just about price and safety. I mean if some Russian company would offer cheap flights i might not go (depending on safety record). Nationalism is nothing to me. Price and safety are.  (and of course shedule and availability)

Aeroflop was the cheapest airline I've used remember something like half price of others but also the last time I would ever use it.

Maybe it's was better later mostly used by backpackers I found. 

My experience UK to Bkk flying Aeroflop 2002 took 3days, Bkk to UK took 5days had a great time in Moscow airport the draught Guinness was great and they took a credit card. ????

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I actually wonder whether BA could have negotiated a 1 arrival per week deal with the BKK airport. I'm pretty sure they could fill most of the plane once a week and it would also keep the plane in at least some running condition. They must have hundreds of planes that could do with some long haul testing after a year. 

Maybe they have other long haul routes which would be better to run.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Best of British fails the Brits, but what are people moaning about how bad it is for Thailand. Instead of being outraged at a Brit company.

I mean looks bad for a company to do such a thing. Bad times a head. I read today the UK is overrun by by covid. Not much different in the Netherlands there is full lockdown. 

Fake news, there is no full lockdown yet. Government will decide today.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Aeroflop was the cheapest airline I've used remember something like half price of others but also the last time I would ever use it.

Maybe it's was better later mostly used by backpackers I found. 

My experience UK to Bkk flying Aeroflop 2002 took 3days, Bkk to UK took 5days had a great time in Moscow airport the draught Guinness was great and they took a credit card. ????

I heard that lhr to Moscow they serve booze but the Moscow to bkk leg of the journey is no booze. I don't know if that's still true. 

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

One point though (and they're far from awful just another internet myth perpetuated this last 20 years that has now become an internet fact instead)

If you're in the air and the aircraft goes Tech what airline and flight crew would you want to be on to give you the best possible chance of getting safely to the ground.............................British Airways every time.

Now imagine you're on Thai International with Somchai and his bike spanners

I agree. I was on a THAI flight from Dubai and a fight broke out between two passengers as one was annoyed at the person in front putting his seat back too far for his liking. The crew all vanished and it was left to the passengers to calm things down. Utterly useless.

And as you say, BA isn't as bad as it's made out to be, just not as good as it used to be and poor compared to the ME carriers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

But it inconveniences travelers yet before my comment none was about that all were enjoying how this would help keep Thailand down. Just shows a lil bit about the people on this forum.

Probably people wanting to counter-balance the nonsense that comes from government (more of that today) and TAT. I've put my friends in the UK straight on how much is still forbidden and closed in Thailand, none of which is mentioned in the TAT ads being published and shown there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

how do brits get around if no airline is in britain .  stowaway on ryan air

There is this wonderful thing called connecting.... Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi are okay, and straight there from Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Brum, with the bonus of avoiding LHR. There is European connections too but who wants to do that!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

I heard that lhr to Moscow they serve booze but the Moscow to bkk leg of the journey is no booze. I don't know if that's still true. 

Well it was OK in 2002 but Moscow to Bkk you had to go to the back of the plane and grab a beer yourself.

The plane from UK to Moscow was modern and up to date.

The plane from Moscow to Bkk would never be allowed to land at Heathrow. ????

A little mention is taking off many of the flaps cabin overhead cupboards opened and luggage fell out and 1 of the ceiling lights drop down on its cable, the empty seat backrest in front just fell forward.

The plane was shaking on climb. 

I have my story of the Aeroflop  trip in my memwar's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it was OK in 2002 but Moscow to Bkk you had to go to the back of the plane and grab a beer yourself.

The plane from UK to Moscow was modern and up to date.

The plane from Moscow to Bkk would never be allowed to land at Heathrow. ????

A little mention is taking off many of the flaps cabin overhead cupboards opened and luggage fell out and 1 of the ceiling lights drop down on its cable, the empty seat backrest in front just fell forward.

The plane was shaking on climb. 

I have my story of the Aeroflop  trip in my memwar's.

I always looked at their cheap prices but a quick review of comments on travel sites would put me off. 

Just now, DaveE13 said:

I always looked at their cheap prices but a quick review of comments on travel sites would put me off. 

Well £350 return instead of £570 was attractive and a first class seat from Heathrow to Moscow I was impressed it all went downhill after that. ????????????

• Haha 1

Best of British fails the Brits, but what are people moaning about how bad it is for Thailand. Instead of being outraged at a Brit company.

I mean looks bad for a company to do such a thing. Bad times a head. I read today the UK is overrun by by covid. Not much different in the Netherlands there is full lockdown. 

I don't believe everything that is heard or read.

• Like 1

You can hardly expect an airline to fly with half empty seats can you . The airlines have lost billions over the past 2 years, I’m quite  sure they haven’t got the money to carry on  flying  non profit routes. Of course I feel for people concerned, best thing get on all companies and see what they can do. 

Two months ago when I booked ThaiAirways (Brussels-BKK) I was apprehensive ThaiAirways could go bust again or stop operating but I now think it was safer than other airlines for which Thailand is just one other destination they can do without.

It's a good idea beforehand to check the reliability of a particular flight on Flightstats.

That's okay, they don't want greasy oiks from the UK flirty with the bar girls, they only want Chinese billionaires who like the throw their money around.

Someone hasn't done the maths, there aren't that many Chinese billionairs and why would they go to Thailand...just because it is government policy?

We left in July 2020 and don't see any way back and I know many who left and wont go back, which is a shame because the people are nice, the country is nice, but the politicians are idiots.

Bonne cahnce LOS.....or should we soon say DEAD LOS?

1 hour ago, transam said:

Lots of complaints here about BA, I have used them many times and can't think why some see a problem.

After all, it is a bus in the sky, food is OK, seats are OK, they even have toilets, so what is the problem...?

PS. I bought a cheap return BA flight back home because mum became ill, I could not make the return flight because she died, and I had to sort out her affairs.

I phoned BA to explain I did not have an adjustable ticket to book another date for my return as my mother had died. The lady said to email her a copy of the death certificate together with the date I would like to return, which I did.

BA gave me my date free of charge and I found I was seat upgraded.... ????..Wasn't that nice..

Everyone’s experience seems to differ. 

First of all, sorry to hear about your Mum, worst nightmare when you live so far away. 

My BA experience was on an old plane, uncomfortable old plastic style seats where you could feel the metal through. Service wise, ok food but the service overnight was non existent and was based on a help yourself  to whatever they left out, no snack or drinks service from the hosts. In fact I dont know where they all disappeared to. I rarely sleep on planes and I never saw anyone all night. 

Entertainment system was poor, extremely outdated. 

One thing I agree with you that I experienced too was when I stuck offshore through no fault of my own and missed both my domestic flight to London and onwards to BKK. 

Spoke to the customer service lady at Aberdeen and clicked away an within a minute or so said the night flight was full but they could get me on a plane to BKK via Hong Kong. She was very apologetic that it was all she could offer. I jumped at it and was ready and happy to pay the difference too. She proceeded to print off the tickets for when handed them over apologised again and said no extra cost. 

That was cattle class and when I looked on Skyscanner the flight was around an extra £300over what I had originally paid.

So excellent service at that time and most appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

One point though (and they're far from awful just another internet myth perpetuated this last 20 years that has now become an internet fact instead)

If you're in the air and the aircraft goes Tech what airline and flight crew would you want to be on to give you the best possible chance of getting safely to the ground.............................British Airways every time.

Now imagine you're on Thai International with Somchai and his bike spanners

Yes, made the “safety record” point in my post here. Best Pilots around , many ex military …..one BA flight landed perfectly with ALL engines out.

BUT all aspects of their non- technical long haul service were uniformly dreadful…. had three bad experiences 99-02. Stopped using BA long haul.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would argue a book with confidence program involve no risk of flight cancellation. 

Hope they don’t take ‘months’ to refund like all other carriers have during Covid. 

An airline which does this looses loyalty as future confidence in the carrier wanes. 

Meanwhile other carriers offer reliable solutions (i.e. Finn / Emirates/ Qatar), not direct, but reliable. 

Does this also mean the UK thinks Thailand is going to remove it from the Covid green list ??? 

When I read news like this, the last thing on my mind is a refund ????

I am starting to wonder if I will ever get back home...