Screws found in 2 of my tyres. Should I replace all 4?

davidst01

1 hour ago, Johnny Mac said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but just a quickie (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ford Everest, April 2018 60000km on clock, is it the right time to change the tyres? The wife says yes (of course) but I'm not convinced, and really would rather not spend the coin right now...

I usually get 80,000 to 90,000 clicks on my tyres and they still have some more to go, maybe 5,000-10,000 clicks, but I give them to the father-in-law with the remaining tread for his annual pilgrimage around the village, he gets a lot of use out of them even though the car doesn't go very far, 2nd lot are still sitting in his shed...lol

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I usually get 80,000 to 90,000 clicks on my tyres and they still have some more to go, maybe 5,000-10,000 clicks, 

I'm thinking of around that sort of mark too, but the missus will soon be in panic mode as a mechanic told her they should be changed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

I'm thinking of around that sort of mark too, but the missus will soon be in panic mode as a mechanic told her they should be changed.

How old are th tires? At this mileage they will perform nothing like new tires. Is the tread still soft? My tread is noticeably harder after 38K kms (on a crv). Still plenty of tread and breaking still ok. Unless you are really strapped for cash, you should change them. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Would the mechanic be looking at changing them for you, if so I would think he might be looking to make some money earlier from you than expected, just saying.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

How old are th tires? At this mileage they will perform nothing like new tires. Is the tread still soft? My tread is noticeably harder after 38K kms (on a crv). Still plenty of tread and breaking still ok. Unless you are really strapped for cash, you should change them. 

April 2018. I don't know what you mean by 'soft' it's a tyre, they all look and feel the same to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it’s an all wheel drive vehicle all four tires should be replaced at the same time if all are worn.  If you are replacing an individual tire on an all wheel drive then it has to be the exact brand, model, etc as the existing tires. 
On a rear wheel drive vehicle.  The rear and fronts can be different.  But the pair on the front have to be the exact same tire.  And the pair on the back have to be the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but just a quickie (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ford Everest, April 2018 60000km on clock, is it the right time to change the tyres? The wife says yes (of course) but I'm not convinced, and really would rather not spend the coin right now...

Mileage has little to do with tyre wear & tear.. it depends how it's been driven..

ie: a careful lady owner or a pi##ed off teenager.

Check the tread depth.... if it's less than 2mm change them. [I think 1.6mm is the legal minimum]

Most new tyres start life with around 8-9 mm depending on brand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

On my Hilux I'm happy if the tyres are round and black.

In my younger, financially challenged days, if they held air, and I couldn't see the threads/cords, then they were good to go.  If having mismatched (white wall / black), try to put them on same side.

Keep the maypop as the spare.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bbko said:

It's 50/50, mixing tyres is a bit of a gamble.  If the front two are the same make/model and the back two the same as each other but different from the fronts, do you think rolling down the motorway @ 100kph with different fronts and backs is safe?  Every tyre is rated for different speeds, traction, rain, etc.  Best to have the same make & models on all 4, trying to mix & match is risky.

"every" tire is not rated for different speeds, traction, etc... you are close though, tires are rated by allowable sustained speeds, tractions, etc., if you use tires of the same or higher equivalent ratings it is fine (The rating is a "group" rating), that being said...if the other tires on the vehicle show significant wear they should be replaced as well. I owned and operated a tire shop for eighteen years.

• Haha 1

No need to replace the tires if they aren't worn down till the worn strip just fix them.

One can have 2 different tires on the car, like the ones on the front can be different than the ones on the back. 

The ones on the front must be same .

The ones on the back must be same .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's annoying when Thais leave screws in the road. I am regularly picking them and shavings when they cut metal sections in our mooban. 

Plugged screw holes don't require replacement but damaged walls do.

Best to replace pairs on front or back axles with new going on driven wheels. 4 whl drive requires all 4 replaced. Regularly unloaded pick ups need good treads on rear to avoid skidding so if front wheel drive best to replace all 4. I like to at least match the spare so as not to have unmatched pair at any time but regular rotation is needed.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Up to you… but definitely before the next monsoon

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm running with one plugged and one had a screw through sidewall area and needed a hot patch. Bout 4 yrs old and I'll replace all 4 when I do anything.

A respectable tyre repair shop will not repair sidewall damage. 

https://www.justtyres.co.uk/tyre-tips/tyre-sidewall-damage-why-it-s-dangerous-and-how-to-deal-with-it#:~:text=Unfortunately%2C unlike punctures%2C damage to,not possible to fix it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

On my Formula 1 car I prefer to have all four tyres matching.

On my Hilux I'm happy if the tyres are round and black.

I watched a vlog recently where Nico Rosberg interviewed Alain Prost.  He said that one of the ways he gained a competitive advantage was by mixing compounds on his F1 cars.  On certain clockwise circuits, for example, he might choose to have three medium compounds and a hard rear left.

I think Alain was fairly unusual in this approach but there you go.