Annual retirement extension renewal

2 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thank you everyone for all your intput.  It sounds like a non starter but I'll give the Thai bank account a go on this visit. Do you know any friendly branches in Chiang Mai 

Haven't read your earlier posts.

If your trying to open a bank account without a non O then I suggest you use an agent to assist with opening account.

Sorry if it came across this way. It wasn't very nice to be asked if I had read the previous posts. I find people on this forum are generally very helpful. I made that point before pointing out the poster's textual deficiencies before drawing a parallel between our posts. Apologies. 

2 minutes ago, Seagull Sam said:

. It wasn't very nice to be asked if I had read the previous posts.

This is what I posted....

"Haven't read your earlier posts".

Meaning ....I have not read YOUR previous posts..

In any event, since you have a non O-A, opening a bank account should be straight forward.

Personally my experience with Bangkok Bank was not straightforward. They wanted something from my embassy and also something from my home bank. That was at large branch Asoke..

Kasikorn Bank opened account without issue.

I have a yearly lease. Some banks want to see a residence certificate which means trip to immigration.

Different banks and even different branches have their own rules.

For anyone with a visa exempt entry or even tourist visa, I suggest use of an agent to assist opening account (cost approx 5k) as an option.

It’s good to see all of the positive comments.  I did my retirement extension last week in Chiang Rai.  This is the first year they have an appointment system.  That was the only change I’ve seen during the  last 3 years.  It took only 25 minutes.

4 minutes ago, statman78 said:

This is the first year they have an appointment system.

They had an appointment system for shortish period at Bangkok immigration. (extensions retirement)

I was able to use it one year prior to it being not available.

What a difference. Makes the process so easy and quick.

Hope it becomes available again at CW. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

A baiting/grammar police post has been removed

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is what I posted....

"Haven't read your earlier posts".

Meaning ....I have not read YOUR previous posts..

Huge apologies DrJack.

It's looking like an agent then

7 minutes ago, Seagull Sam said:

It's looking like an agent then

Give Kasikorn a go.

They have (as most banks do) a hotline that provides assistance in English. Helpful operators. The bank Clerk basically hands you the phone. 

With a non O-A it should be possible. Some banks may try and sell you and insurance policy. That's not a requirement.

Having a bank account would be good move as if in the future you wish to obtain a non O retirement (no insurance required) in Thailand you would have the bank account in place. The non O and annual extension from that is simple. 

Edited by DrJack54