Port and sherry Chiang Mai

ChrisKC

I am planning a special trip to Chiang Mai, tomorrow, Wednesday in anticipation of buying a bottle of port and sherry. Also Christmas Crackers. These things not available anywhere in Lampang.

My first thoughts are the Mahidol Road Rimping Supermarket (that's the one near the Airport, right?), where I remember some time ago there was a dedicated Wine Shop next door as well.

Is my trip likely to be successful?

Buying these things online would have been ideal but...

Thank you for your time and help!

I was up in Chiang Mai a few days ago and ended up in the large mall Maya which is on the arterial road out of the city ...Huay Kaew Rd.  In the basement there was a supermarket with a huge selection of wine. I  didn't notice Port and Sherry specifically but there was a very good selection of international brands.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Food Hall supermarket in CenFes has a limited selection of ports & sherries and is where I bought them last year, Rimping branches each have their own range of wines etc so you need to choose one that is most conveniently located, Wine Connection is not selling anything apart from normal wines & has hiked its prices recently. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was looking for sherry and found this thread. Today I went to all the places your guys suggested and wasted hours of my time as NONE of them had sherry 

I went to Maya shopping mall, Rimping, the Central festival supermarket in the basement...nothing. 

If anyone is looking to buy sherry then don't go to any of the places these posters suggested lol.

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Sorry, I forgot to thank all those who contributed to this thread and my question.

Here is what happened:

I went to Chiang Mai to the Rimping near airport and bought the following

1 bottle of Southern Comfort American whisky

1 bottle of Mouton Cadet red wine

1 bottle of ruby port

1 bottle of sherry

1 bottle of Mateus Rose

About B5,000 but most bottles still have plenty to enjoy! Chinese New Year coming up!

Many Cheers to my fellow gentlemen (and ladies) in the forum

Are you 100 percent sure they have sherry?  Is is dry or sweet?

The Rimping near Airport Plaza, right? 

If you are sure I will go tomorrow.  It's a journey for me...I can't drive so will be using my bicycle and song taews and going from Doi Saket. 

I don't want to waste my time like I did going to the other places people here said had sherry. 

It is going to be a present for a close friend. 

Thanks.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you are sure I will go tomorrow.  It's a journey for me...I can't drive so will be using my bicycle and song taews and going from Doi Saket. 

I don't want to waste my time like I did going to the other places people here said had sherry. 

Thanks.  

You might  try calling Rimping, they have pretty good customer service and if they have it could put it aside for you probably.  First person who answers may not speak English but they can usually get somebody who can quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Thanks.  

You should check before you go! I think the selection was very scarce and I am not sure if they replaced the stock I bought. The Sherry I still have is "Sandemans Fino. It doesn't say sweet or dry but on tasting, think it is a dry one. The Port was also lacking in selection, maybe only two bottles on the day, I just bought one of them. I bought the only Mouton Cadet they had, also. Rimping does have at least five other stores scattered around Chiang Mai City.

Please check before you go!

15 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

You should check before you go! I think the selection was very scarce and I am not sure if they replaced the stock I bought. The Sherry I still have is "Sandemans Fino. It doesn't say sweet or dry but on tasting, think it is a dry one. The Port was also lacking in selection, maybe only two bottles on the day, I just bought one of them. I bought the only Mouton Cadet they had, also. Rimping does have at least five other stores scattered around Chiang Mai City.

Please check before you go!

Thank you so much. I got the sherry and a port. My friend was very happy with the sherry!  

I was about to be annoyed in the shop as when I asked if they had any the girls selling the alcohol said no...they only have port!

But I checked myself and found it with all the other dusty bottles.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1