Marriage Extension Without the Wife - Possible?

Is it possible, under special circumstances,  do do a marriage extension without the wife?

The issue is that the wife is pregnant and the due date it right on my extension date.

We could go 30 days early, when she is 8 months pregnant, but CW really isn't the best of place for a pregnant to waste a day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Normally it the wife has to be present to complete a affidavit in front of a immigration officer that both of you have to sign along with the officer. If she cannot attend you would have to contact immigration to make arrangements to do it.

At Chaeng Wattana you can apply up to 45 days early.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

After holding a so-called marriage visa (Non-O by reason of marriage, for you sticklers) for many years, the annual inconvenience of dragging Mrs. Laew to the immigration office just became too much to bear.

She always had a legitimate excuse -- her work, pregnancy, family illness, a trip upcountry, etc. Just imagine if she had been in prison for 25 years! So finally I threw in the towel and switched to a so-called retirement visa. Best thing I ever did. Less paperwork and less inconvenience for the wife, and the immigration officers appreciated it too, since less work for them.

I realize this option is not open to everyone, but if you're of a relatively ripe age and have the money in the bank, it reduces the pain of annual extensions to a dull ache.

Paul Laew

I agree with you, but only partially. Putting the wife in front of the immigration officer is a strong trump card and previous years have been painless. 

A few friends on retirement extension have been hit by odd requests about landlords ID, rental contract, TM30 nonsense, etc. 

Are you also using CW?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There are a few papers for her to sign but that's only happened in last few years.

What it's really all about is that none of the immigration officers can speak English so they use the wives for translation. Additionally, they just don't want to speak with the Foreigner. The attitude is starting to grate on me.

My experience of the last few years is it they are totally and thoroughly inflexible so even giving your perfectly reasonable situation there will be no accommodation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

I usually do my visa extensions upcountry, a lot faster than in Bangkok.

While this may be true this is kind of useless information.

One doesn't get to pick and choose the immigration office that they get their annual marriage or retirement extension.

Retirement extension definitely has less paperwork but whether it's smoother the devil is in those details. Bangkok doesn't have home visits.

• Like 1

Firstly, the extension is called `Thai wife extension` not marriage. It says `Pallaya Thai thii 2` on my PP.

They take photo of the couple thru their webcam, in case of `Thai Wife Extension`

Moreover, 1st extension they can interview you both like where did you meet, DOB of baby etc.

So, how will you get a Thai Wife Extension without the `WIFE`.

????

21 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That agent?

Do you have contact information for a trustworthy agent operating at CW?

'that' is being used rhetorically. Most agents here in Pattaya advertise on TV and other media. They have offices, secretaries and business licenses. They provide a wide range of services to the expat community. Hopefully there will be agencies in your nearest town

OP-My wife had meetings upcountry 1 yr and we had a "Proxy-Wife" stand in for her. Immigration had my wife's number and called her during the process and she had to identify the "Proxy" and answer a few questions. A couple more forms were filled out. I sat and played my role as the "smiling husband" and all went just fine. Never say never. That being said, this was in Nakhon Nayok and not Bangkok. :wai:

• Like 2