Anyone else "dislike" the brave new world and want to get off?

thaibeachlovers

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

want to get off

Forget the TV, I only turn on to watch the NRL or Bathurst, these days nothing worth watching. Brady Bunch, Mash, McHales Navy, Hogan's Heroes, Happy Days, all the good stuff Gone.

Keep yourself occupied, I go to the gym daily and when closed due to covid I'd run everyday, I bought some weights and bicycle for home use, I've never been as fit and healthy, the weather is perfect for eating the delicious cheap fruit that are everywhere. 

You're a kiwi, I assume you have money, money is the key, when it's gone it's time to 'get off' as you mentioned. Get yourself to SE Asia, so many beaches, things to do, places to see, girls to meet, beer to drink. 

There's nothing better than riding around on your motorbike looking at the sexy, petite young ladies riding their scooters, it's always a bonus riding behind smelling the sweet fragrances. I'm in heaven. 

If you're depressed, sell up, toss the job in, get out of your horrible environment. 

It's not expensive to live SE Asia, I've worked and trained in Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, traveled to Cambodia and Laos, keep away from Singapore, I lived there for some time, I was lucky my company paid Per diem so it was manageable. 

I found Thailand to be best for me, affordability, people, life style. I like to travel around Thailand, it an amazing country, from Bangkok to the hills of Chang Mai, I'm living in Pattaya because I've always liked to live near the sea, Thailand, it's so dynamic, I am so lucky. 

Now my children are older and work has come to a standstill with covid I just take off for a week or two at times, hotels cheap as chips. 

I left Australia over 20 years ago, never been happier, here with my family, eldest child going to Bangkok University next year. 
I've only been back to Oz when my company sends me to get work visas for different countries, the way things are going I will probably never go back to Oz, no need, all my friends and family come to Thailand to visit us.

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

it's the people that are the problem

Agree.

People have changed. 

I used to spend hours in bars drinking, talking to people but it's just too hard these days. 

People seem so depressed, wanting to talk about the negatives, glass half empty guys, moaning, whinging, whining, not for me. 

I started thinking I was the problem but I just don't have any dislikes or negativity, I'm the luckiest guy in the world living in the best place in the world. 

Too many places to see, things to do, I avoid making an effort to talk to people and very seldom spend time in bars these days, my liver thanks me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ballpoint said:

“The Chairman alluding to the problem of young people and their English said his experience was that many did not seem able to express or convey to other people what they meant. They could not put their meaning into words, and found the same difficulty when it came to writing.”
Unable to Express Thoughts: Failing of Modern Young People, Gloucester Citizen, 1936

We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”
The Conduct of Young People, Hull Daily Mail, 1925

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”
Letter in Town and Country magazine, 1771

“The beardless youth… does not foresee what is useful, squandering his money.”
Horace, 1st Century BC

“They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.”
Rhetoric, Aristotle, 4th Century BC

So, there you have it. OP's observations confirmed - things have gotten progressively worse with every generation since at least 4th century BC. ????

But as other members in the forum have touched upon in their posts - it's your inner world that matters, and with which attitide you interact with the people and reality around you. Change is always possible if you are not happy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ballpoint said:

“The Chairman alluding to the problem of young people and their English said his experience was that many did not seem able to express or convey to other people what they meant. They could not put their meaning into words, and found the same difficulty when it came to writing.”
Unable to Express Thoughts: Failing of Modern Young People, Gloucester Citizen, 1936

We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”

Horace, 1st Century BC

My friend was making the stereotypical complaints of the grouchy old man.

I suggested that there were many examples like you present going back in time.

His response "Yeah, but this time it's true."

Edited by cdemundo
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Horace, 1st Century BC

Up till the end of WW2 countries needed rough and poorly educated young men to fight in the frequent wars of most of human history.

IMO it's only since the end of Vietnam ( conscription ) war that young men in most countries have had a life without the possibility of dying in a war or of overwork or of disease, and IMO are not using that time wisely.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Up till the end of WW2 countries needed rough and poorly educated young men to fight in the frequent wars of most of human history.

IMO it's only since the end of Vietnam ( conscription ) war that young men in most countries have had a life without the possibility of dying in a war or of overwork or of disease, and IMO are not using that time wisely.

Yesterday they were cannon fodder.

Today they are InCels.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm the luckiest guy in the world living in the best place in the world. 

Too many places to see, things to do, I avoid making an effort to talk to people and very seldom spend time in bars these days

Assuming you live in Thailand, I agree. If I still lived there I doubt I'd have written the OP. Just living there made me happy, even without " female companions" or human interaction.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had to look up incel.

Can't agree with that though. Most of the rough men I see around have rough women with them. Some of the women are rougher than the men.

My soft Brit son has a Tasmanian woman.

She's bigger and more manly then him. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Unfortunately it's seeping in.  You might have missed it, but the recent Miss Universe Thailand was being hailed as "real size" blah blah blah.  (She's not even fat, just big and tall.)  Then there has been the recent political protests that have had an element of "snowflakishness" about them.  Thais love social media and a lot seem to pay attention to some of the woke garbage that you find there.

To me the ultimate wokeness is fat female cheerleaders- the horror!

I won't spoil your day by posting a photo, but for those that want to see, just google "usa fat cheerleaders".

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's harder now to live on the dole than the 70's and 80's. Seemed like more did it back then.

Back then the western economies were being reorganised and many jobs being lost. Now, at least in NZ more jobs than locals will do, so imported labour is being used ( can't get enough local people to become nurses, so overseas nurses needed ), yet many unemployed youths. Doesn't seem very hard to get on the dole now, though it's apparently been renamed to jobseeker allowance. Where I live I see a few young fit men that don't work, but must have money from somewhere. They are not living in mummy's basement.

18 hours ago, new2here said:

I kind of don’t think anyone is really going to say this “new normal” is/was better than the normal pre-covid… but for me at least, this is where we are - like it or not…. what i wonder is what is it going to take in order for society as a whole, to get back closer to what was reality pre-covid— AND if that’s even possible today given the level of mistrust, politicization and control. 

That is the billion $ question.

The closest equivalent I can think of is the great depression of the 1930s and that scarred people for life.

I don't think the divisions will be healed in my lifetime.

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps the OP could enlarge upon his idea which currently lack detail

I could have gone on, but I'm sure I wrote enough to convey my dislike of the "modern" world. The world of my youth was by no means perfect, but at least we were treated as people, and not as consumers.

The difference now is that IMO it's ALL about money. God is dead, all hail the new god of greed.

A good example of what I'm talking about is the Thai government attitude to tourists. They are not spoken of as people coming to experience an exotic country, but it seems always about how much they will spend while in LOS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

"Brave new world" is fine by me,

it might have presented some negative stuff, but it has a lot of positive. Personally if it was not for this "brave new world" I would be probably be dead  right now (Open heart surgery to repair congenital heart valve  abnormality). 

We often tent to focus  on the negative because they have an adverse affect on us that get out attention, but it is a good idea to try and put things in proper perspective and also consider to positives of which there are many. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Just heard they are going to ban smoking cigarettes in New Zealand.

Whatever next eh !

Not yet, but banning young people ( I think 14 years old ) from buying them. They definitely want to eliminate them from society.

I'd have thought they had more important things to worry about than cigarettes, but apparently not.

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Unfortunately it's seeping in.  You might have missed it, but the recent Miss Universe Thailand was being hailed as "real size" blah blah blah.  (She's not even fat, just big and tall.)  Then there has been the recent political protests that have had an element of "snowflakishness" about them.  Thais love social media and a lot seem to pay attention to some of the woke garbage that you find there.

Yes that is unfortunate but Thais are pragmatic, woke wont last long here, or anywhere, it isn't practical or natural for that matter.. Actually it isn't really that new, I can remember about 25 years ago in Germany we were looking for a new dress for my German wife at the time and couldn't find the right size, the shop assistant came to our aid telling us that we were in the wrong section, the section we were in was for ladies with a 'full figure', "You mean fat" I said ungraciously, she looked horrified and told me that one doesn't say that these days, I laughed and just said "Mutton is lamb with a full figure then".....she didn't like me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

I also own a radio.  Actually, it's $2,000 worth of short-wave radio transceiver.  I use it both for my ham radio hobby, and for listening to broadcast radio stations.  Right now, I'm listening to some great Indian music from All India Radio on 15.030 MHz.

I only use my radio and the internet for media, never watch TV.  I prefer Youtube videos of the kind of comedy that wokes would ban nowadays.  You know, British comedies that take the mickey out of gays, transvestites, white honkies, people of other nationalities that I'm not allowed to mention, working class people, upper class people, rich people, poor people.  It is ALL very funny to watch.

With all the morons who are unvaxxed and unmasked, I'm happy living alone in my remote house and garden on the sunny Turkish coast - wait till (if?) this pandemic is over ????

radio-turkey.thumb.jpg.66be37ccb48e0f72bb1facc6d324396b.jpg

I think I can safely say that none of the great comedy shows of my younger days would be shown now. Not because there are none that would watch them, but because the woke have taken over broadcasting and movies and seek to impose their wokeness on us all.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I won't spoil your day by posting a photo, but for those that want to see, just google "usa fat cheerleaders".

I'll happily take your word for it and avoid the distress. I see enough "challenging the standards of beauty" without seeking it out.

As if you can make people find something beautiful by telling them so. Absolutely mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I remember years ago living in California and there was this anti-fat chick thing going around.  People would actually have bumper stickers that said "No Fat Chicks!" or "Save our beaches, harpoon a Fat Chick!"  I doubt there's much of that going around any more....555

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not yet, but banning young people ( I think 14 years old ) from buying them. They definitely want to eliminate them from society.

I'd have thought they had more important things to worry about than cigarettes, but apparently not.

You mean minors can buy cigarettes' in NZ?  You have to be 18 years or older to buy them in the US.

What can be more important than the health of your children?

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You mean minors can buy cigarettes' in NZ?  You have to be 18 years or older to buy them in the US.

What can be more important than the health of your children?

... nope, goes  somewhat like 'folks who are around 14 now will NEVER be able to (legally, 555) buy fags in their lives' ... that's how I heard it in foreign news.

25 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... nope, goes  somewhat like 'folks who are around 14 now will NEVER be able to (legally, 555) buy fags in their lives' ... that's how I heard it in foreign news.

Ok so I did some research on the subject and it appears that you are correct. 

" Anyone born after 2008 (14 year old now)will not be able to buy cigarettes or tobacco products in their lifetime,  under a law expected to be enacted next year."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59589775

A good thing IMO . It should eliminate or at the very least drastically reduce this very nasty addiction. 

"The proposed legislation, which is expected to become law next year, would leave current smokers free to continue buying cigarettes. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/world/asia/new-zealand-smoking-ban.html#:~:text=New Zealand unveiled a plan,free to continue buying cigarettes.

so the current crop of smokers will be eliminated thru attrition. 

They got me early , when I did not know any better , and it was not easy getting out of them, but I have not smocked a cigarette for about 35 years (65 now) . I wish they had done something like that when I was a kid.  

I am impressed , Way to go New Zeeland !!

Edited by sirineou