More Myanmar refugees make it across Thai border as fighting intensifies

webfact

my.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

Over Thursday night, Thai security forces evacuated Thai villagers and assisted more Myanmar refugees as the Myanmar army launched more air strikes in Karen state on the Thai border.

The situation between the Myanmar military and ethnic insurgent groups has dramatically worsened at the Thailand-Myanmar border despite its temporary halt for over three days.

At least 223 Myanmar refugees, mostly women and children, swam across the border to take temporary shelters in Mae Sot, Tak Province.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36099/more-myanmar-refugees-make-it-across-thai-border-as-fighting-intensifies/

ti.jpg
  • Sad 5

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

For decades, actually. 

You might want to grasp a better understanding of the historic relationship between both long time regimes.

I'm not saying it is not going on, very likely it is in various ways. I'm honestly asking for journalistic links if anyone has the time. Or books; I've read Thant Myint-U but don't recall him bringing it up. It's a major topic but I happen to be working on something else at the moment.

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yet still the Thai junta support the Burmese one.

The poor Burmese refugees will probably be sent back next week.

"Medical teams are on standby to provide medical treatment to injured refugees according to international principles."

And these are probably similar 'international principals' that the police used against unarmed protesters.

Or that the Abhisit govt. used when the Thai Navy towed Rohinyha refugees back out to sea.

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yet still the Thai junta support the Burmese one.

The poor Burmese refugees will probably be sent back next week.

"Medical teams are on standby to provide medical treatment to injured refugees according to international principles."

And these are probably similar 'international principals' that the police used against unarmed protesters.

But I think now the UN and other NGO are on hand to assist these people and monitor the situation closely.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 4:08 PM, Cake Monster said:

But I think now the UN and other NGO are on hand to assist these people and monitor the situation closely.

The INGO presence along the border is not what it used to be.  And they can only do what they are permitted to do by the government.

The Thai government calls the shots, and I have the impression there is less 'flexibility' these days at the local level.

The UNHCR personnel seemed always careful to avoid offering the least criticism of Thai officialdom.  With good reason.  If the government of the country to which they are posted requests their removal, they are unlikely to secure another contract.  Termination of career.  They are not benevolent volunteers.

And the Thai government is not bound by the International Convention on Refugees, to which it is not a signatory.