Which Scooter to Buy in US?

Texsinbad

I am in Pattaya now, but will be returning to the US soon.  When I return, I plan to buy a large scooter.  In the past, I have had motorcycles, but being older now, I think that a large scooter would be more comfortable being automatic, more storage, and the seat is also usually more comfortable.

I am looking at the following scooters which are available in the US (some may not be in stock where I am located):

Suzuki Burgman 200/400

Yamaha XMAX 300

Honda Forza 350

SYM CitiCom 300i

2021 KYMCO X-TOWN 300I ABS

Today, I saw a Suzuki Burgman 400, Yamaha XMAX, and Honda Forza at dealerships, but didn’t ride.

I would appreciate hearing about riding experience on any of these to help me decide which to buy.  Remember, I am talking about riding in the US—not here.  

I live in the Tampa Bay, Florida area and most of my riding will be around town.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yamaha X-Max 300, as they are a sturdy bike.  I have one here, and if and when I move back to the US will sell this one and buy a similar one in the States.  More accessories available as well, and Yamaha has many dealerships around in the cities.

After a little more research, I found out that the Honda Forza is NOT available in the US.  At the dealership today, I really liked that the windscreen was electrically adjustable.

I am renting a Yamaha NMAX now and like it, but it not powerful enough for freeways in my area with 70 mph speed limit.

While at the Yamaha dealership, I saw the TMAX 550.  That looked like a beast.  Too heavy for me and too expensive at 528,000B.

From what I hear the most important thing in USA is proximity to a dealer , and if they have fair prices for service and repair - I guess that's for every country....! But in USA things could be 100s of miles apart.... 

Best to do some research in forums in your area for dealers and feedback on their service... (specially hourly labor rate !). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Agusts said:

From what I hear the most important thing in USA is proximity to a dealer , and if they have fair prices for service and repair - I guess that's for every country....! But in USA things could be 100s of miles apart.... 

Definitely agree with that.  Although 25 ish yrs ago for Philly, PA area, very few dealers or repairs shops.   Honda fan myself.  Other brands less so.  Just did a Gmap search, and not a lot has changed.  Scooters are fairly dependably built though, and if take care of them, they don't need much.  Not familiar with automatics.

May also want to consider an electric scooter, as fairly automatic.  Mine has 3 speed buttons next to the throttle, and round town only use 2 'gears'.  Electric motors don't need any maintenance.  Battery far cheaper to run & replace than petrol & tune ups.  Ones here aren't exactly made for distance, 100 kms maybe, at best, at around town speed, and not highway speeds, as you'll use up the battery fast.

Haven't got a clue what's available over there.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

Best to do some research in forums in your area for dealers and feedback on their service... (specially hourly labor rate !). 

Came here to say this. Local parts availability and service network paramount.  

As an American I have to laugh, a scooter on the the US streets is asking for trouble.  I don't care if it's a 155/200 or 350, you're still just a "blip" on the radar of other drivers. 

I ride a Kymco 300i in the US. It's a fabulous scooter for reliability, comfort and economy. But were I in need of parts our service it would be a challenge to find either nearby. Thankfully I've not needed either. I suspect Yamaha or Susuki would be better options.

4 hours ago, bbko said:

As an American I have to laugh, a scooter on the the US streets is asking for trouble.  I don't care if it's a 155/200 or 350, you're still just a "blip" on the radar of other drivers. 

Not true, depending where in the US you are. 

In Florida , it should be no problem. When not in Thailand we also live in Florida and I know of many people that have them and I also plan to get one when we return. 

The OP and anyone else thinking of the same should be advised that you need a motorcycle license to ride a scooter in FL. 

Being in Tampa  and also in my neck of the FL woods near Daytona  get something that would be highway rated as you might have to go into highways for short distances to expedite getting from here to there faster. 

Please follow up with what you got and how it worked out, because as I said I plan to get one also. 

following????

Edited by sirineou

4 hours ago, bbko said:

Yep. There are fewer scooters/bikes so drivers don't expect to have them near. To stay alive a rider must allow the same "living room" as a car. 
Often when a biker gets creamed by crowding a car some bikers must recite the mantra "he wouldn't have seen it if it was the Empire State Building because he didn't look". 

That may be true - put it on the tombstone. 

Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.  I have ridden 50+years; so, I am full aware of the dangers and requirements.

I have owned and ridden many different bikes and sizes.  

I was asking about scooters here because scooters are not very popular in the US.  Motorcycles, yes, scooters, no.

I know that a 200-400cc will be fine where I live and for my needs.

Now, I just have to find one I like.

• Like 1