The Red List

Good day all, hope you all had a great Christmas Day,

I've just been reading about a post about a guy flying into Thailand from the UK.

Is there any logical  reason as to why people from the UK and US, where people are getting infected and dying in the 10,000's and 100,000's can fly into Thailand, where as travellers cannot fly from South Africa, where infections and fatalities are far, far lower.

Is it because the Thai authorities don't trust the S.A doctors, scientists, vaccinations etc. or perhaps because S.A "discovered'' the Omicron variant and blabbed it to the world  and get slapped onto a Red List? Or perhaps there are more visitors from the US and UK than from S.A, hence more cash flowing in? 

Cheers, perhaps I'll manage to get back one day.

Hi Alphim - sorry to hear you are stuck in RSA and hope you can get back to Thailand before too long. I agree with the point you make . . . .

I was expecting an announcement about the 'red list' to be made last Friday as it was said the Govt. was meeting to discuss the matter. But nothing emerged ?

I had expected the UK, Denmark and maybe others to be made 'red' to help limit the arrival of Omicron virus. ATM I guess they are going with the suspension of new Thailand pass applications until Jan 4th - maybe some changes will emerge then.

No idea why SA is still red and understand your frustration but by letting others that already have their passes in, they are hardly going to do any harm, given Omicron is already in the country. No new Test & Go passes being issued at the moment. All measures will be reviewed in early January.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, TorquayFan said:

Hi Alphim - sorry to hear you are stuck in RSA and hope you can get back to Thailand before too long. I agree with the point you make . . . .

I was expecting an announcement about the 'red list' to be made last Friday as it was said the Govt. was meeting to discuss the matter. But nothing emerged ?

I had expected the UK, Denmark and maybe others to be made 'red' to help limit the arrival of Omicron virus. ATM I guess they are going with the suspension of new Thailand pass applications until Jan 4th - maybe some changes will emerge then.

I think the last point I made, says it all, not so many visitors from South Africa, hence not much money lost from their spending.

Yes Alphim it would be a very big step indeed for Thailand to start red listing European nations and say the USA. What CCSC has done atm is to slow the number of all entrants for a while as those arrive who have 'Passes' OK'd or who are already in the process.

The pass system is only  'suspended' atm and I notice the emphasis today is on a  'review' on Jan 4th - the data from Europe and the US won't be better next week I guess.

It's a bigger M8 - it's a pandemic. Good luck . . . .

Edited by TorquayFan

Alphim - room for hope : "Singapore eased restrictions for 10 African countries which were initially considered to be high risk for the Omicron variant and travellers from those nations, or who have been to those countries 14 days before travelling can now enter or transit through the Republic. Botswana, Eswatini, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, and Zimbabwe are now classified by the Singapore government as Category IV, according to the Ministry of Health." https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/singapore/singapore-lifts-travel-ban-for-10-african-countries

Edited by TorquayFan

25 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Alphim - room for hope : "Singapore eased restrictions for 10 African countries which were initially considered to be high risk for the Omicron variant and travellers from those nations, or who have been to those countries 14 days before travelling can now enter or transit through the Republic. Botswana, Eswatini, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, and Zimbabwe are now classified by the Singapore government as Category IV, according to the Ministry of Health." https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/singapore/singapore-lifts-travel-ban-for-10-african-countries

I know a Singaporean that travelled from Africa 3 days ago and still has to do 10 days quarantine.

19 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Yes Alphim it would be a very big step indeed for Thailand to start red listing European nations and say the USA. What CCSC has done atm is to slow the number of all entrants for a while as those arrive who have 'Passes' OK'd or who are already in the process.

The pass system is only  'suspended' atm and I notice the emphasis today is on a  'review' on Jan 4th - the data from Europe and the US won't be better next week I guess.

It's a bigger M8 - it's a pandemic. Good luck . . . .

Yes, thanks, it would be a big step, the point is why ban S.A in the first place, don't want to upset the big boys? Good to see they have seen some sense at last by suspending the so called no quarantine scheme.

I see the Singapore has removed S.A from the Red List along with the U.K and U.S, perhaps, hopefully Thailand will follow suit shortly